Author Topic: Hatshepsut bug  (Read 6048 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
you forgott the multi player part that would be quicker to discribe what works than what doesn't. and the french dubbed voice acting is probly better than the origonal. I didn't think the game as a whole was painful to play(excluding the voice acting) but I guess I had come to expect something more from V, like a game that is four years ahead of it's time (freespace)

------------------
Bobboau, bringing you products that work.............. in theory
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?

Originally posted by Bobboau:
you forgott the multi player part that would be quicker to discribe what works than what doesn't. and the french dubbed voice acting is probly better than the origonal. I didn't think the game as a whole was painful to play(excluding the voice acting) but I guess I had come to expect something more from V, like a game that is four years ahead of it's time (freespace)

well, technically, V is not the best developper, sorry to break your dream. Freespace 1 and 2 were not flawless either, but FS1 didn't have a real challenger then, and FS2, well, wasn't a hit. You wonder why?
SCREW CANON!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
FS2 is still the best space combat game even though it is getting quite old by now.
 Yes it has it's flaws but a lot of them are only obvious cause you haven`t found anything better in the years since it was released.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions

Originally posted by karajorma:
FS2 is still the best space combat game even though it is getting quite old by now.
 Yes it has it's flaws but a lot of them are only obvious cause you haven`t found anything better in the years since it was released.

And then, there's the community...  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper

Originally posted by venom2506:
well, technically, V is not the best developper, sorry to break your dream. Freespace 1 and 2 were not flawless either, but FS1 didn't have a real challenger then, and FS2, well, wasn't a hit. You wonder why?

The only reason Freespace didn't make it big was because of Interplay, not because of the games themselves.  Hell, Freespace2 won Sim of the Year for crying out loud.  Thats got to say SOMETHING.  Freespace2 could've been a MAJOR hit if Interplay hadn't screwed things up.

------------------
"You know you've played Freespace too much when you're driving along trying to use countermeasures to shake off pursuing highway police." - Top Gun

"Oh and Kazan - you have some nice rocks" - Thunder

"stapled myself to an office chair, forgot about it, and was stuck for 2 hours for one thing" - Stryke 9

Material Defender Studios
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline Nico

• Venom

Originally posted by MD-2389:
The only reason Freespace didn't make it big was because of Interplay, not because of the games themselves.  Hell, Freespace2 won Sim of the Year for crying out loud.  Thats got to say SOMETHING.  Freespace2 could've been a MAJOR hit if Interplay hadn't screwed things up.

well, lots of people does know FS2, and knows the awards it won... why didn't they buy it? there's a reason (that I can find, I admit), but I doubt it has anything to do with interplay.
SCREW CANON!

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com

well, lots of people does know FS2, and knows the awards it won... why didn't they buy it? there's a reason (that I can find, I admit), but I doubt it has anything to do with interplay.

The only reason FS2 didn't make it big is pretty much the same reason that Starlancer, FS1, WingCommander:Prophecy and Iwar1 didn't make it big. Most people aren't really after space combat sims. The serious simmers want hardcore fighter jet or helicopter sims and the average gamer wants Quake style fragfests or arcade style action shooters. Games like Quake and Unreal and the like are instant gratification to gamers. The blood and gibs and weapon effects are like popcorn. It takes a different sort of person, a rarer sort, to really get behind the stick of a virtual cockpit and fly in the inkyblack chasing down Shivans and really really like it.

------------------
--Mik
http://www.404error.com
ruhkferret on ICQ/AIM
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Nico

• Venom

Originally posted by mikhael:
The only reason FS2 didn't make it big is pretty much the same reason that Starlancer, FS1, WingCommander:Prophecy and Iwar1 didn't make it big. Most people aren't really after space combat sims. The serious simmers want hardcore fighter jet or helicopter sims and the average gamer wants Quake style fragfests or arcade style action shooters. Games like Quake and Unreal and the like are instant gratification to gamers. The blood and gibs and weapon effects are like popcorn. It takes a different sort of person, a rarer sort, to really get behind the stick of a virtual cockpit and fly in the inkyblack chasing down Shivans and really really like it.

yeah, the times when Wing commander2 make the PC sell, and WC3 the pentium sell, is over now  
SCREW CANON!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
LOL I was debugging that mission last night and found another bug with the Hatshepsut model. If you look carefully at turret19, it can be seen that the turret is actually inside the ship model.   It does not fire weapons properly (I could only get it to fire certain things and even those it did not aim properly) and also shows up as being out of the line-of-sight of the player when targeted (red X mark), no matter which direction it is being approached from. If it is able to fire at you (if you get really close it detects you), it looks like the shots are coming right out of the hull.  

I don't think I can fix this very easily since I do not know how to reposition the turret submodels, but it seems to work a bit better when firing if the firing point is placed above the actual turret.

Anyway yeah, Interplay did a pretty poor job of marketing and advertising FS2.I bet it would have sold really well if the publisher was any good.

[This message has been edited by CP5670 (edited 12-30-2001).]

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper

Because it wasn't advertised enough.  Most people (I'm referring to the non-hardcore crowd here) aren't going to spend $40 on a game that they never heard of and know absolutely diddly squat about.  They'll go off and spend it on some stupid ground pounder instead.  Hell, the original Descent got a frelling TV commercial and I *know* it sold like crazy because stores couldn't keep it on the shelves longer than a day or two!

------------------
"You know you've played Freespace too much when you're driving along trying to use countermeasures to shake off pursuing highway police." - Top Gun

"Oh and Kazan - you have some nice rocks" - Thunder

"stapled myself to an office chair, forgot about it, and was stuck for 2 hours for one thing" - Stryke 9

Material Defender Studios
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Descent sold well? I thought it didn't do all that well, actually. (it was published by Interplay, so it makes sense)

Offline Nico

• Venom

Originally posted by CP5670:
Descent sold well? I thought it didn't do all that well, actually. (it was published by Interplay, so it makes sense)

will you lay down with that interplay stuff? If they were that bad, they wouldn't be that famous, d'uh!

Anyway, Descent sold very well (since they got to the 3rd one, unlike a certain series...) in some countries, like the states, but didn't do very well in europe.
SCREW CANON!

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com

will you lay down with that interplay stuff? If they were that bad, they wouldn't be that famous, d'uh!

Anyway, Descent sold very well (since they got to the 3rd one, unlike a certain series...) in some countries, like the states, but didn't do very well in europe.

Descent itself did very well. Not only did they make three of them (at least two of which had an official expansion), but Freespace1 was called 'Descent: Freespace' with a subtitle of 'The Great War' just to get it the name recognition (yes, there were other reasons, but name recognition was a big one).

One of the places where Descent won big was that it broke ground with the engine and they were able to license that engine to other games. Further, they got Descent into a large number of OEM bundles, so customers got an idea about the game without having to seek out a demo or buy it blindly.
I have to agree with Venom. Interplay is not the uber-monster that most here make them out to be. Nor are they without fault. They're just a publishing house and their goal is to make money. Freespace2 came at a time when space-sims were just not making as much money as other genres. It would be foolish of them to make FS3, no matter how much we might want it. It will only lose them money.

------------------
--Mik
http://www.404error.com
ruhkferret on ICQ/AIM
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]