Author Topic: Subspace VS hyperspace?  (Read 10824 times)

bump is the hypercannon possible?
Bah who needeed the Colossus when all we needed was 30 Fenrises

Offline Joey_21

• http://denebsystem.cjb.net/

Originally posted by Shrike:
To my, Hyperspace and it's permutations (ultraspace, space-plus, etc) implies a higher-energy environment ('above' realspace) whereas Subspace (infraspace, etc) imply a lower energy environment.

Well I got my speculation from the ship/wing editor where it has the arrival location. Hyperspace is in there which basically has the ship arrive in the location in which it was set.  

Offline joek

• Heh heh... not funny.
    • http://www.joek.com/

Originally posted by Joey_21:
Well I got my speculation from the ship/wing editor where it has the arrival location. Hyperspace is in there which basically has the ship arrive in the location in which it was set.  

You know, after all the times I've used FRED, I've always noticed that but just never thought about it. Weird.

Joe.

------------------
No, he's not back for real, just popping his head in to say "hello" while on break from classes.

Offline ^Graff

In the star wars universe, the hypercannon wouldn't work, as you need a hyperdrive to enter and exit hyperspace(gravity destroys you if you get too close, but doesn't pull you out), and a bolt doesn't have one.  Also, exiting hyperspace won't give you extra energy in realspace, as it doesn't do that to the Falcon or Xwing.
Originally posted by Anduril:
Dang, Graff, you good.  :)

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
What do you do? Disrupt the gravitic balance of the system by sending an interdictor through the node so that the node moves to a different spot, away from the Mjolonirs, just long enough to get a fleet into the system. Of course, the sentries will kill the cruiser, but it is better to lose one cruiser than an entire fleet. Oops! Looks like someone figured out a tBE mission!  

------------------
Ace
Staff member FreeSpace Watch
 http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions

Originally posted by ^Graff:
George's excuse was that it was the distance he traveled, as the kessel run is in the center of a cluster of black holes.  Smugglers try to find the shortest route out of the cluster, and Han Solo found a route that was only 3 parsecs long.

Yeah, I read something about that. Got any more details on the matter? Sounded really cool.  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Well yeah the falcon and Xwing exits from hyperspace in a controlled form...

The bolt however smashes into the cruiser... while it has gained powere momentum and strenght from hyperspace...

The falcon X-wings slows down before exiting hyperspace... the bolt dosent it just impact with the cruisers shadow...

And dame bet you Im gona make this Hypercannaon belivable one way or another  

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?

Originally posted by Bishop Gantry:
Well yeah the falcon and Xwing exits from hyperspace in a controlled form...

The bolt however smashes into the cruiser... while it has gained powere momentum and strenght from hyperspace...

The falcon X-wings slows down before exiting hyperspace... the bolt dosent it just impact with the cruisers shadow...

And dame bet you Im gona make this Hypercannaon belivable one way or another  

won't the ships slow down AFTER having exited from hyperspace? look at the battle of endor, when they arrive, they exit hyperspace, but clearly come close to the DS at a tremendous speed, plus in XWA, when ships arrive, they do like if they came from a light speed travel, so, very fast.
SCREW CANON!

Offline ^Graff

If the bolt hits the cruiser's shadow, it is destroyed.  It doesn't hit the cruiser.  If you had a shell that had a hyperdrive on it, so it exited inside the cruiser's shield radius, it might work.

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/
they just slow down... hyperspace in the star wars enviroment is just faster then light, exactly what Einstein (sp?) mathematically calculated was to be impossible.

"She'll make .5 past lightspeed"

so basically hes saying that the falcon can go "one and a half" of what lightspeed is. Which, say you were travelling to alpha centari, would take (completly random guess) about 1000 times longer travelling at the speed of light then to travel through a wormhole, which I am guessing is simply what happens with a blackholes, where space is actually warped into a particle smaller then an electron, is forced into into the black hole, and everything else follows this new curve of space, which then reappears in another black hole.
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?

Originally posted by vadar_1:
they just slow down... hyperspace in the star wars enviroment is just faster then light, exactly what Einstein (sp?) mathematically calculated was to be impossible.

so basically hes saying that the falcon can go "one and a half" of what lightspeed is. Which, say you were travelling to alpha centari, would take (completly random guess) about 1000 times longer travelling at the speed of light then to travel through a wormhole, which I am guessing is simply what happens with a blackholes, where space is actually warped into a particle smaller then an electron, is forced into into the black hole, and everything else follows this new curve of space, which then reappears in another black hole.

Well, it's proven that light speed travel is possible (for exemple, 2 or 3 years ago, Italian scientists made a particle of light (lol) go faster than light). The pb is the time distorsion: a guy make a one year travel at light speed. Fine, he'll be 1 year older when he arrives. But for the other people that sisn't make the travel, 5 years will have passed.
disturbing if you ask me.

SCREW CANON!

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp

Originally posted by vadar_1:

'Point five past lightspeed' is a meaningless statement.  There's no evidence that it's 1.5 times lightspeed, in fact, seeing as the Falcon arrived at Alderaan in a fairly short period of time, it's in fact impossible to be only that fast.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Starwing

In the German translation it actually says 1.5 lightspeed.And I think the "parsec" comment was originally thought to show that Solo didn't really know what he was saying. That was later changed with the shorter distance plot.

------------------
You guys are still strange...

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Point five past light speed could be part of some scale, ie .5 of a warp factor. Also, Vadar (or was it a general?) says that they could be "anywhere in the galaxy by now".

Hyperspace = A place where a tiny amount of force makes you go REALLY fast. Created by George Lucas to avoid copyright infringement (and wasn't it Hyper-Speed?)
Subspace = A concept created by Gene Roddenberry to explain how the Enterprise could go so damn fast

But as a general rule: ITS SCIENCE F@~:!NG FICTION. Unlike real-life things commonly known as 'plot-holes' can develop where certain things are unexplainble or vary greatly from time to time. You'll never really be able to explain how the enterprises Magnesite coils create a subspace field so don't try.

As a side note: How the ****  did the DeathStar get to Alderaan? Musta had some bigass engines.  

------------------
Homer: So I thought to myself 'What would God do?'
Bart: Mwuhaha. Locusts

I is internet proficient
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
As I remember, it had a whole bunch of engines right along the "equator". However it was still pretty slow (relatively). It could hyperspace jump, although you never saw it in the movie..It would be cool to see though. Imagine a moon accelerating to lightspeed..better stay out of its way..
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

Ok so theoretically a Massive metalic ball with a hyperdrive/switch would be possible as a Hypercannon...

However would it be possible to also make the ball able to create a rift trough hyperspace thus not slowing down hitting cruiser with the force it gained from hyperspace???

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions

Originally posted by Alikchi:
It would be cool to see though. Imagine a moon accelerating to lightspeed..better stay out of its way..

Dive Dive Dive! Hit your burners, pilot!  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

hahah...I actually use that as an aim alert for one person coming online....hehehe  
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline ^Graff

Originally posted by Bishop Gantry:
However would it be possible to also make the ball able to create a rift trough hyperspace thus not slowing down hitting cruiser with the force it gained from hyperspace???
Probably.  Try asking that at spacebattles.com.  They might know more about it than me.

Offline ^Graff

Originally posted by Starwing:
In the German translation it actually says 1.5 lightspeed.And I think the "parsec" comment was originally thought to show that Solo didn't really know what he was saying. That was later changed with the shorter distance plot.
It was done not because Solo didn't know, as he obviously did, if he can understand how a hyperdrive works.  George was the one who messed up, and thought up the distance to explain away his mistake.

Also, in the extended universe, it's the hyperdrive's class(the Falcon has a class 0.5 hyperdrive, Xwings have a class 1, SSDs have a class 2, verpine adventurers have a class 7, etc).  The lower the #, the faster the hyperdrive.
1.5 lightspeed could also mean the speed IN hyperspace, not the speed relative to realspace.