Author Topic: Subspace VS hyperspace?  (Read 10815 times)

Subspace VS hyperspace?
Whats the diffrance from subspace and Hyperspace?...
Bah who needeed the Colossus when all we needed was 30 Fenrises

Offline Unidan

• http://unidan.stickserv.net/
Ummm, I think hyperspace is just going really really fast. And subspace is a whole nother plain/dimension thing. Didn't we discuss this already?
I'll think of a siggie later..

Offline Joey_21

• http://denebsystem.cjb.net/
Hyperspace is real space... you know, the stuff we see in the sky at night... the stuff that the astronauts travel in to get to the moon...

Subspace is a warphole to another part of a galaxy/universe. If you've played FS1, the final mission in it was a subspace mission.

You warp into subspace every time you 'return to base'.

------------------
Creator of the Table Edit project.
IRC: /server twisted.ma.us.DAL.net /join #Deneb
Visit The Deneb System.
Balance?! Don't you talk to me about balance when you've seen all the Sathanases the Shivans have!! - Joey_21
Checkout the System Madness II campaign.
Bored with Window's Calculator? Click Here.

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp

Originally posted by Joey_21:
Hyperspace is real space... you know, the stuff we see in the sky at night... the stuff that the astronauts travel in to get to the moon...

Subspace is a warphole to another part of a galaxy/universe. If you've played FS1, the final mission in it was a subspace mission.

You warp into subspace every time you 'return to base'.

Funny, I always thought Real Space was what we live in.  

To my, Hyperspace and it's permutations (ultraspace, space-plus, etc) implies a higher-energy environment ('above' realspace) whereas Subspace (infraspace, etc) imply a lower energy environment.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Shrikes on the money.  Some panel of scientists and physicists at the Toronto Trek sci-fi convention a few years ago was talking about Hyperspace and Subspace (I guess the theories are out there) and they are roughly like what Shrike just pointed out.

Both are theoretical potentials for FTL travel.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
Thing is, in Hyperspace, because it's a higher-E environment, stuff like lightspeed might be significantly higher than it is in our universe....

And subspace, being a lower energy environment, might allow us to go further on the same amount of energy, because we're bringing in load of energy from a high energy realm to a low energy one.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Don't know the difference in real life but in sci-fi the difference appears to be that in hyperspace you can go in any direction while in subspace you can only follow the subspace corridors.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
I don't know, but in star wars, hyperspace is normal space, coz they can collide with stars and so on while in hyperspace.
SCREW CANON!

Offline joek

• Heh heh... not funny.
    • http://www.joek.com/

Originally posted by venom2506:
I don't know, but in star wars, hyperspace is normal space, coz they can collide with stars and so on while in hyperspace.

Nah... those are just the "shadows" that real gravity objects create in hyperspace. That's what those Interdictors(sp?) are for, to create those gravity shadows so ships can't go to hyperspace.

Plus, hyperspace is like subspace in that you have to know where you're going. You wouldn't want to come out of hyperspace or subspace in the corona of a star or a superdense asteroid field (although Command loves to send capships through asteroid fields  ).

Joe.

------------------
No, he's not back for real, just popping his head in to say "hello" while on break from classes.

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
Mathmatically, which is a bit different than what Shrike and Icefire have been saying, subspace refers to lower dimensions within the four dimensions of our normal space (lenght, height, depth, time), and hyperspace refers to higher dimensions.

Though I really like the energy idea.

------------------
Visit Warpstorm.  Do it now.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

Offline Nico

• Venom

Originally posted by joek:
Nah... those are just the "shadows" that real gravity objects create in hyperspace. That's what those Interdictors(sp?) are for, to create those gravity shadows so ships can't go to hyperspace.

so what with solo talking about going through a supernova?
SCREW CANON!

Offline ^Graff

He meant going through the shadow that it cast in hyperspace.  If you pass through a mass shadow, you will be instantly destroyed.  That is why all hyperdrives have automatic cut-off switches that send the ship back into realspace if they sense a mass shadow.  Uncalculated jumps, however, don't enable the cut off switch, so an uncalculated jump could kill you.  

Interdictor cruisers don't really create a gravity well, they merely simulate it to fool the cut-off switch(except for Interdictors in the NJO books, which actually do generate gravity wells, but I consider the NJO interdictors to be a breach of canon).  

[This message has been edited by ^Graff (edited 12-10-2001).]
Originally posted by Anduril:
Dang, Graff, you good.  :)

Offline Unidan

• http://unidan.stickserv.net/
Are you talking about Yuuzhan Vong interdictors?
I'll think of a siggie later..

SO if you made a Hypercannon and fired it the beam/bolt/pulse would smash into the shadow and materilize inside the object of the shadow?

Offline ^Graff

Not the Vong interdictors.  In two if the NJO books (the second stackpole one and the first edge of victory one) the interdictors actually create a gravity well.  In one, they ues it to force a Vong cruiser to shunt all its dovin basals into its drive, so that it will not be pulled into a moon of Ithor.  By forcing it to direct its dovin basals into propulsion, they can't be used for shielding.  

In the other, an interdictor is used to disrupt a system's lagrange points so that a NR fleet can jump into the system in an area that the Vong haven't picketed.  It's like this: a jump node is surrounded by mjolonirs, and you have to get into the system.  What do you do?  Disrupt the gravitic balance of the system by sending an interdictor through the node so that the node moves to a different spot, away from the Mjolonirs, just long enough to get a fleet into the system.  Of course, the sentries will kill the cruiser, but it is better to lose one cruiser than an entire fleet.

[This message has been edited by ^Graff (edited 12-10-2001).]

Offline ^Graff

Originally posted by Bishop Gantry:
SO if you made a Hypercannon and fired it the beam/bolt/pulse would smash into the shadow and materilize inside the object of the shadow?
Hypercannon?  What's that?  

Well a hypercannon could be anything ballistic, missile, beam weapon anything but instead of sending the entire ship into hyperspace it only opens a small rift into hyperspace that the beam bolt slug enters into... the additional force the slug woulf aquire from hyperspace should be tremendous... when it exsits hyperspace quiet a formidable weapon if it works that is

example Dreadnought fires hypercannon at Cruiser... nothing happens because the slug immidatley enters hyperspace only to microseconds later exit in the shadow of the cruiser... while it travelled trough hyperspace it would have absorbed tremendous amounts of energy

Offline joek

• Heh heh... not funny.
    • http://www.joek.com/

Originally posted by venom2506:
so what with solo talking about going through a supernova?

I don't know. He also used the term parsecs to refer to time.  

Joe.

------------------
No, he's not back for real, just popping his head in to say "hello" while on break from classes.

Offline Nico

• Venom

Originally posted by joek:
I don't know. He also used the term parsecs to refer to time.  

Joe.

yeah, luca messed up on this one lol  
SCREW CANON!

Offline ^Graff

George's excuse was that it was the distance he traveled, as the kessel run is in the center of a cluster of black holes.  Smugglers try to find the shortest route out of the cluster, and Han Solo found a route that was only 3 parsecs long.