Author Topic: 17th May CVS Build  (Read 34027 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I've been getting this as well, but I can't take screenshots, as they come out all green.  The backgrounds come up with a multi-colored checkerboard errect.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
I've been getting this as well, but I can't take screenshots, as they come out all green.  The backgrounds come up with a multi-colored checkerboard errect.
I did see the envmap problem this morning as I was playing around (I think it's the same thing anyway).  Not sure what's causing it, but saved cubemaps also show it so it's likely a rendering issue but not a display problem.  I'll see what I can do about it later this week.

And the green screenshot problem should be fixed in CVS.  No build has come out with the updated code yet (except to a few people) but it should work again in the next build.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Taylor, I think another one has suffered the background bug. (http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,39905.msg814944.html#msg814944)
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline wolf

I also experience this bug. On first mission all is OK, on second its a random combination of artifacted background textures, unreadable fonts (shown somewhere on forum, vertical lines instead of letters) and broken model geometry. This only happens in CVS builds after 17th may, but doesn't occur under Linux (my own builds, latest CVS). It also seems that environment map is rendered with artifacted backgrounds when flying first mission, I once saw those errors in reflected nebula.

Radeon 9800 pro, catalyst 6.4, 6.5.

Offline ShivanSpS

I also experience this bug. On first mission all is OK, on second its a random combination of artifacted background textures, unreadable fonts (shown somewhere on forum, vertical lines instead of letters) and broken model geometry. This only happens in CVS builds after 17th may, but doesn't occur under Linux (my own builds, latest CVS). It also seems that environment map is rendered with artifacted backgrounds when flying first mission, I once saw those errors in reflected nebula.

Radeon 9800 pro, catalyst 6.4, 6.5.

Is exactly my problem...

Radeon 9600XT, Omega Crystalyst 6.4.x.x

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
I've notice that all the people that are suffering the background bug seems to have ATI cards. I have nVidia AGP 7800 GS and no problems till now.

Has anyone with nVidia suffered it? Has any ATI user got an old nVidia card and can make a swap to check that?

(Maybe that can be useful info for Taylor).
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Has anyone with nVidia suffered it? Has any ATI user got an old nVidia card and can make a swap to check that?
I noticed that they tend to be ATI users as well.  So far I haven't heard of any NVIDIA user with the problem.  Unfortunately that doesn't help me come up with a fix any faster.  But, since there is apparently something wrong with the FBO code that's making some envmaps get rendered wrong, I'm hoping that fixing that problem will take care of this one as well.

Offline Kaine

http://3dnature.com/ati.html <- the issues explained here could be relevant, then again i could be stabbing in the dark.

mmm stabbing.  :p
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 03:27:57 am by Kaine »

Offline Kernal

Sorry if this is a old problem but, I can`t get this to work  :mad:
When I launch it All I see is a white screen with little lines of grey where the usual start menu buttons were supposed to be.
I wanted to try the new Media 3.6.8. Zeta But I can`t get this to work. This is the first build that I ever had problems with. :(

Um....
Currently still useing media vps 3.6.7.
Windows XP
Launcher 5.3
Open AL
Direct3D8 (Everything has worked well untill now)
All I can think of right now....
“I am mighty!  I have a glow you cannot see.  I have a heart as big as the moon!  As warm as bath water!  We are superheroes, men; we don't have time to be charming!  The boots of evil are made for walkin'!  We're watching the big picture friend!  We know the score!  We are a public service, not glamour boys! Yeah! Not captains of industry, not makers of things, keep your vulgar monies! We are a justice sandwich, no toppings necessary. Living rooms of America, do you catch my drift? Do you dig?”- The Tick

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
When I launch it All I see is a white screen with little lines of grey where the usual start menu buttons were supposed to be.
A D3D bug, should be fixed in newer builds.

Direct3D8 (Everything has worked well untill now)
Use OpenGL instead.  D3D is unsupported now.

Offline Kernal

Alright but, where did you download?
I googled it and found many GL tools in about 12 different sites. Which one?
Sorry if I sound to Noobish :P
“I am mighty!  I have a glow you cannot see.  I have a heart as big as the moon!  As warm as bath water!  We are superheroes, men; we don't have time to be charming!  The boots of evil are made for walkin'!  We're watching the big picture friend!  We know the score!  We are a public service, not glamour boys! Yeah! Not captains of industry, not makers of things, keep your vulgar monies! We are a justice sandwich, no toppings necessary. Living rooms of America, do you catch my drift? Do you dig?”- The Tick

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
All long as you have up-to-date drivers for your video card you should be good to go.  If you have problems for some reason just let us know what video card you have and what driver version you are using now.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

The problem is not that your version of OpenGL is too old but that your version of FS2_Open is too old as this build is nearly two weeks old and the bug was fixed last week :D

However if you simply swap to OpenGL in the launcher the white screen problem will go away without the need to download anything. (Of course you may encounter other problems!)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Keep getting dumped back to windows from while midgame. This is the main error. Tried searching the Mantis but couldn't get it to show anything so I thought I should report it. It happens during main campaign, anytimes, with and without the newest media VP's.

EDIT: -safeloading Option fixed it.

fs2_open_d_KARA_20060517 caused a Breakpoint in module fs2_open_d_KARA_20060517.exe at 001b:00584337.
Exception handler called in FreeSpace 2 Main Thread.
Error occurred at 6/4/2006 15:15:46.
F:\Games\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_d_KARA_20060517.exe, run by The Spac.
1 processor(s), type 586.
1024 MBytes physical memory.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 03:44:22 am by The Spac »