Author Topic: Direct X or OpenGL? Which do you use?  (Read 8097 times)

Direct X or OpenGL? Which do you use?
Ok I was looking through the FS_Open Wiki and noticed something. A lot of the features that are being added say that they only work with direct x. So my question is, does everyone run the game in direct X now, or should we still run in opengl. I think Enviromental mapping was one thing that is a direct x only feature?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < )
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Re: Direct X or OpenGL? Which do you use?
No, most features now work with OpenGL but not D3D, D3D doesn't work on a lot of machines either. (mine)

From the Wiki about Envir mapping....

-env
Enables environment mapping. Direct3D only. Environment mapping intensity will be determined from the intensity of specular maps.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < )
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
That's outdated, now env mapping only works on OpenGL, I'm telling you, unless you have somthing wierd going on with you computer, OpenGL is better.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
On another note, it seems that directx for fs2 is being abandoned.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
On another note, it seems that directx for fs2 is being abandoned.
It was abandoned a year ago, when no one cared to work on it anymore.  Now we are making the move to remove it from the code entirely.  It's probable that at least all of my future builds will be built without D3D support (I've made it a build option now, but enabled by default).

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
To be honest the only reason D3D is still in is because there are some people who have problems with OpenGL and can only run in D3D.

But as D3D gets less and less attention it's becoming more likely that it won't work for anyone and should just be left out.

@Oddzball : Can I have a link to that wiki page? It needs to be edited :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It actually doesn't work for me right now.  If I start FSO up in D3D, I just get a big white screen.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
It actually doesn't work for me right now.  If I start FSO up in D3D, I just get a big white screen.
Yep, I noticed that too when I did a run test of my changes before commit.  I thought it was my new changes until I went to an older build and it still didn't work.  I can only assume that it was my envmap commit a couple of weeks ago that broke it, though playing around with those changes didn't reveal a fix today.  I'll try and get it situated before the weekend is over.

Kara;

The wiki link is here... http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Command-Line_Reference#-env

Thanks for the info btw.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < )

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
@karajorma:
If you are editing the page anyway (and care to do this), here are some more changes...
1) -env is now a graphics option and not experimental
2) -cache_bitmaps has been moved to a game speed option rather than graphics option
3) -nobeampierce has been removed (per old post in the internal forum)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
OpenGL.
-C

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
I can use both, but unless a game requires it, I use OpenGL

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
I already edited it, but he can add in what you want him to (or I can if he doesn't want to.)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Feel free to edit it for me Mars. :) :yes:

The Team Loadout stuff is just eating up all my spare time!  :eek2:
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Speaking of which, why is the wiki so fugly lately?

Offline ShivanSpS

Directx???????? what is that?? a bill production to make games slower and force people to upgrade its cards?

Search info about DX10 and his "DX9 emulator"...

OpenGL.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Uh... what?

DirectX

And I go back to the original question, why is the Wiki so ****ing ugly?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 09:38:39 am by Mars »

Offline ShivanSpS

DX10 is not compatible which DX9, so its needs an emulator to run any DX9 game, which have a hit in the overall performance.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25902

Also, I reading some worry information about OpenGL and the Windows vista..

As M$ does everything to destroy OpenGL I would not be surprised at all if DA will use DirectX, too.

Their new Windows will only work with all features if you have OpenGL disabled... that means many freeware tools will not work anymore, as they use OpenGL.

M$ is really good at what they are good at.

did some searching and found a news post about the new microsoft windows (visa/longhorn) might/will have opengl only implemented via direct3d. Which I think means that opengl will be translated into direct3d before going to the graphic card.
Allthough this might not be the case entirelly as people have said it is only a problem with windowed applications and not full screen ones. So games should mostly be uneffected by this.

I don't know if that's so cool... MS will have the complete controle over the speed of OpenGL.
If it's not directly accessing the hardware it could be unbearable slow (if MS wants it to be slow and/or if the translation isn't optimized for speed)...

« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 01:10:16 am by ShivanSpS »

That's outdated, now env mapping only works on OpenGL, I'm telling you, unless you have somthing wierd going on with you computer, OpenGL is better.

I've always ran FS2 open with DirectX/3d and have never had a problem with the game running and the graphics with d3d is simply astounding, i must have something wierd going on! haha