Author Topic: Could use some helpp here  (Read 3839 times)

Could use some helpp here
Does anyone know if there is a program that can convert the Freespace *.MVE Movie files to MPEG, DivX or AVI, or alternatively, one that can convert them to those formats once they have been made into a *.EXE file?

Thanks for any help you can give.
Culloden - 16th April 1746

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I think a few people were able to get their avi's converted to mve by sending them to Volition, but this was years ago when FS2 was just released. Worth a try, though.

Yeah, I saw that, but what I want to do is the reverse. Thats the only way I know of to put them into a play list.  

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Oh okay, actually I don't know of any way of doing that, unless you have some kind of video capture hardware. Someone else here can probably give you more help with that stuff.

Well, I don't know what the admins will think of me talking about this, so I'll leave the jucy details out, but I just used Google to find a link to a certain MVE Editing program which might be just what I need. Unfortunaetly, the site was closed by the FBI, so I'm doing an FTP Search for it now using every engine I can think of.

[This message has been edited by Culloden (edited 01-01-2002).]

Offline Neon

An MVE Editing program site closed by the fbi?   WHY??????????  

Starwing

MVE = Interplay property
MVE editing = not liked by Interplay

Offline Neon

I didnt't knew that...

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/
try morpheus/kazaa ... the fbi has no presence there, as musiccity once said "We cant turn off the file sharing, theres no switch to flip".
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Originally posted by Starwing:
MVE = Interplay property
MVE editing = not liked by Interplay

Y'know what the stupid thing is? The MVE format sucks. It compresses like a hunk of neutronium on the bottom of a swimming pool, especially when compared to DivX.

If future games all supported DivX for movies and MP3/OGG for sound, you wouldn't see a game on more than 2 CD's for years to come. :-/

------------------
America, stand assured that Israel truly understands what you are going through.

Know how to use Rhino3D? Want to put your ships into Freespace 2? You've come to the right place!

"He who laughs last thinks slowest."
"Just becase you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
"To err is human; to really screw up you need a computer."
Creator of the Sandvich Bar, the CapShip Turret Upgrade, the Complete FS2 Ship List and the System Backgrounds List (all available from the site)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com

Originally posted by sandwich:
Y'know what the stupid thing is? The MVE format sucks. It compresses like a hunk of neutronium on the bottom of a swimming pool, especially when compared to DivX.

If future games all supported DivX for movies and MP3/OGG for sound, you wouldn't see a game on more than 2 CD's for years to come. :-/

The problem is that both DivX ad MP3 are processor intensive. They get you a nice tight compression, but you need the raw horsepower to support that. MP3 is easing as some cards have dedicated MP3 decoders (not many tho) and most gamers have enough clocks to decode 96kbps MP3s on the fly without hurting the game. DivX can hurt a 1gHz Tbird though, by itself. Its going to be a little while before we get those into a game.

------------------
--Mik
http://www.404error.com
ruhkferret on ICQ/AIM
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?

Originally posted by mikhael:
The problem is that both DivX ad MP3 are processor intensive. They get you a nice tight compression, but you need the raw horsepower to support that. MP3 is easing as some cards have dedicated MP3 decoders (not many tho) and most gamers have enough clocks to decode 96kbps MP3s on the fly without hurting the game. DivX can hurt a 1gHz Tbird though, by itself. Its going to be a little while before we get those into a game.

I know Iwar2 uses MP3, but what's the format of the movies?
SCREW CANON!

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!

Originally posted by venom2506:
I know Iwar2 uses MP3, but what's the format of the movies?

They are BIK files, the Bink format. I think Ihave the utils somewhere for making Bink movies.

------------------
--Mik
ruhkferret on ICQ/AIM

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Originally posted by mikhael:

Everything you said is true, but you're forgetting one thing: only the MP3's would truly be used in-game. DivX's would be used for cutscenes, when the computer doesn't have anything else to do anyway.  

------------------
America, stand assured that Israel truly understands what you are going through.

Know how to use Rhino3D? Want to put your ships into Freespace 2? You've come to the right place!

"He who laughs last thinks slowest."
"Just becase you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
"To err is human; to really screw up you need a computer."
Creator of the Sandvich Bar, the CapShip Turret Upgrade, the Complete FS2 Ship List and the System Backgrounds List (all available from the site)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!

Everything you said is true, but you're forgetting one thing: only the MP3's would truly be used in-game. DivX's would be used for cutscenes, when the computer doesn't have anything else to do anyway.  

You sir, are correct. I concede the point.

------------------
--Mik
ruhkferret on ICQ/AIM

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man

Yes you would. Movies arent the only reason games are big. Baulders Gate was 5 disc's. But anyhow most games are switching to DVD, FS2 was the first DVD game i got  
Got Ether?

Offline Dark_4ce

• GTVA comedy relief
You know, we never got the DVD version of Freespace 2 in Finland. I was so pissed, cause I was waiting for that while all my other friends bought the game, played it, and started talking about there amazing acts of courage at the bar! After 3 months of waiting I couldn't take it anymore and CD version of the game. Then I was happy.  

------------------
Badges?! We don't need no stinking badges!!!
I have returned... Again...

Offline Arnav

• Slightly rusty technology
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/techsup

Originally posted by Zeronet:
Yes you would. Movies arent the only reason games are big. Baulders Gate was 5 disc's. But anyhow most games are switching to DVD, FS2 was the first DVD game i got  

Baldur's Gate 2 was 4 CDs, unless you're counting Throne of Bhaal as well.

------------------
- Arnav Manchanda
Creator of Technological Superiority: http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/techsup
"At least I have job" - Unidentified Soviet Flak Trooper before being prismed.
"Sword, meet evil! Evil, meet my sword!" - hmm wonder who said that
- Arnav
Creator of Technological Superiority: http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/techsup
"At least I have job" - Unidentified Soviet Flak Trooper before being prismed.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
But the first one was on five discs.   Zeronet was correct.

[This message has been edited by karajorma (edited 01-08-2002).]
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]