Author Topic: The poor man's substitute for Newtonian Physics  (Read 15030 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: The poor man's substitute for Newtonian Physics
Considering that it would probably require a complete rewrite of the AI code to get computer-controlled fighters to make use of their new abilities, I don't think it's feasible.

IIRC they do, on higher difficulties, already know how to slide etc. According to the BSG mod folks (who had this figured out already), the FS AI is extremely deadly when given these abilities.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
One scripted HUD with forward/backward velocity indicator, horizontal speed indicator and lateral speed indicator, coupled with I-War-esque vector indicators.

Oh, and a possibility for limited fuel. I know it's no more Freespace, but I could see that very much fitting the BSG conversion and Babylon Project.

Oh, and... auto-targeting. The same way it's implemented in I-War, so that hitting small targets is not completely impossible... :nervous:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
IIRC they do, on higher difficulties, already know how to slide etc. According to the BSG mod folks (who had this figured out already), the FS AI is extremely deadly when given these abilities.
AI has known how to slide since vanilla. But some say it sometimes gets little confused about it. Nothing new about that.
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Sliding AI Starfuries = nightmare fighter from hell
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Thats why they have aim assit in the series. And we should also have it...
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
One scripted HUD with forward/backward velocity indicator, horizontal speed indicator and lateral speed indicator, coupled with I-War-esque vector indicators.

Oh, and a possibility for limited fuel. I know it's no more Freespace, but I could see that very much fitting the BSG conversion and Babylon Project.

Oh, and... auto-targeting. The same way it's implemented in I-War, so that hitting small targets is not completely impossible... :nervous:

all you really need is the lindes, their length indicats the speed. if thats not enough just use a neumerical indicator which tells you how fast youre going alotn the inticated vector.

Thats why they have aim assit in the series. And we should also have it...

this feature has been requested sence day one of the scp and im suprised it hasnt been implemented. now that the code supports weapon normals, any chance in making them dynamic? the only table imput needed would be the cone of fire for each bank, could be done the same way as bank capacities. have a flag like $Dynamic Normal Cone: (10,20,25) after show primary.secondary models. alternatively is support for player triggered turrets, which would track targets normally, but requires a player triggerpull to fire. actually id like to see a general turret control interface anyway, for capship missions, which would allow mechwarrior-esc weapon grouping for the various turrets, the ability to control one directly, as a group, or delegate to ai.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 02:58:36 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline PotzUK

• PyroPort
An Elite/Frontier/First Encounters mod would be ace, if it could be pulled off :)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
FRONTIER MOD :D

Source guys work on a hydrogen powered hyper drive and realtime economy as well as a bulletin board and persisant galaxy code please :)

I'll be back by 17:00 GMT to DL it all......... :lol:

I'm still waiting since then........... :lol:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
An Elite/Frontier/First Encounters mod would be ace, if it could be pulled off :)

I'm too busy. What modding experience do you have :p

Seriously though most of the modders currently in the community are too busy. You could try stealing some from the Frontier/Elite community or you could start learning the skills you need yourself with some of the newer people who are currently attached. Colonol Dekker seems to have a lot of free time :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Actually I did the Elite mod. I converted and uvmapped all the ships. I just didn't do much with the finished article because neither player beams, nor non-linear campaigns worked back then. I could see if I can dig out what I did. It could be on any one of 30odd DVDs though so don't count on it. Seriously it takes about 30 minutes to uv map and convert an Elite ship so it wouldn't be difficult for someone to reproduce the work. Hell I use the Cobra Mk 1 as the example in my ship creation guide. The frontier mod is less fun to do. The game engine handled curves quite cleverly and as a result the ships had a lot of subtle curves which would have to be recreated using lots of polies. On the other hand if someone wants to have a crack at the Elite thing then I will offer as much helpful advice as I can.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 07:45:31 am by IPAndrews »
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i wish i could be liberated from working so i would have more time to mod. this sucks.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Quit.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
 :) I'm just free of "obligation" at work right now, Delegation is a1 soopah !
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Quit.

then how would i pay my net bill? no, i think il just be annoying as **** for the next few weeks and hope they fire me, then draw unemployment :D

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline CaptJosh

What? You mean you aren't already annoying as hell? If this ISN'T annoying, everyone, be afraid. Be VERY afraid...
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i dont try to be annoying, i try to be honest, people are very annoyed by honesty it seems.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline scratch

Are there any mods out there that use strafing /gliding actually? I know that BTRL uses it, but it isn't out yet.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
ive set alot of nukemod ships to straif and slide and glide and whatnot.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
Limited fuel is easy, somewhat... just have a big afterburner tank and no recharge.  That's what WCSaga does.  ...course that's only afterburner, did you mean standard engines?

The vector indicators sound tricky.  I don't understand the scripting system yet but I suspect it won't be easy.  However I just had an inspiration of using similar code to the lead indicators... will see what can be done.  Won't be quick.

Aim assist would sure be nice but there's a lot involved.  Probably over my head but I'll take a look, someday.

Ok, I've updated the build on the first page with some new goodies:  a slide-when-pressed control, and this: when gliding, hold the full throttle key to automatically point in the direction of travel.  Hold the zero throttle key to automatically point in the opposite direction.  A bit hackish but very useful.  Oh, question on the slide-when-pressed control... when you push forward on the joystick, should it be sliding 'up', or 'down'; what do you prefer?

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Definitely forward = down, backwards = up. Just like the nose does when you pitch the craft. It's more intuitive IMO. But if you want more work, implement some kind of "invert-x-axis-when-gliding" system or something like that... might be more worky.

Limited fuel would definitely add realism and challenge, but it's not a priority, as most folks would probably use unlimited fuel option anyways... the direction indicator would be more important. I think it would be easiest to do that by meddling with motion debris. Make them have a colour and a trail and that's it. More sophisticated system would involve having the modified motion debris only visible when gliding, for example.

And of course, it would be good to know one's backward velocity, vertical velocity (left/right) and horizontal velocity (up/down) as well as forward velocity.

And for the future: implementation of aerodynamics for atmospheric missions, thank you very much.  :D

It shouldn't be too difficult, btw... We already have thrust, inertia and direction controls - what would be needed to upgrade the model to simple aerodynamic model is angular momentum (do we have that already?), lift and drag forces - and constant gravitational acceleration.

We don't need or even want absolutely physically accurate model, so it would suffice to have the drag and lift as invisible thrusters (or force vectors) that have variable strength.

Drag is almost directly derived from craft velocity and angle of attack and drag coefficient... AOA 0 gives the smallest drag, while negative or positive AOA's increase the drag. Drag is always pointing in the other way from air speed vector.

Lift is derived from air speed, angle of attack, and lift coefficient - it's easier to just assign a suitable value for ships rather than start counting values based on ships mass and lift area, air density and such...

If we want even more sophisticated system, it's possible to implement rough aerodynamic stability model by implementing more force vectors representing aerodynamic forces affecting different parts of the ship, like possible control surfaces and whatnot.

But first things first...

By the way - is Beyond the Red Line team going to implement retro-rocket thrusters for their spacecraft? Or in other words, a visible vector control system - or are they keeping the craft Freespaceishly miraculously self-turning? :)
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.