Author Topic: Been quite a long time since I've been here... (3.6.5'er user)  (Read 3068 times)

Offline sfried

Been quite a long time since I've been here... (3.6.5'er user)
With the amount of upgrades FS2 OPEN SPC has gotten, I'm not so sure what to download first.

To start off, I have FS2 OPEN SPC 3_5_6 (The one currently using is a file called fs2_open_T-20050103.exe). Should I uninstall this older version (via Add/Remove programs) and reinstall with the new version? Second, I'm not quite sure which MediaVP "package" should I download first (I hear 3.6.8 Zeta is the latest, although I don't know if I should start here since it's been a looong time. In fact I'm not even so sure which files to download anymore or if this is the right thread to be posting this question) and also one that is considerably stable/bugless.

Oh, and I use OpenGL, as it tend to make things run smoother. Hell, Descent 3 runs like butter even on a somewhat dated Tab PC such as mine (Centrino 1.5 Ghz with 32MB NVidia GeForce Go 5200). But I don't know if there are any issues when run under OpenGL.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Re: Been quite a long time since I've been here... (3.6.5'er user)
Yeah, you'll be "going" real far with a 32mb 3d card :lol:
The best place to find for downloading the latest things for fs2 is the forums. Get rid of your old build of 3.6.5, and replace it with a cvs. Then get rid of the 3.6.5vp's, and replace them with the 3.6.8's, and if you have an issue with the new beams animations, be sure to check out dab's more sane animated beam glows. Also, along with the manual installation of a new cvs build, or 3.6.9 release candidate executable, be sure to find out where to get a hold of and install openAL, or you wont be able to play at all. Also be sure to check out kara's faq for a reference on the new way to install the media vps(the old way to install the vps works too, the new way has it's benefits though).
Quite frankly, sorry i'm not doing any referencing as i can't right now, but, this is quite the literal truth.
It doesn't take very long, the only minor time consuming thing may be downloading the new media vps, which actually should perform ok and fine on your 3d card(i get the impression that no geforce 5 has below 64mb of ram especially for a machine of centrino technology...wtf does the 32mb stand for exactly if you didn't refer to your graphics card on your laptop?). I'm sure other people will be flocking to this thread with references though :)
Another thing, stick with opengl, d3d has been scrapped, strapped, gagged, and screwed in favor of the pimp opengl.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline sfried

So do I uninstall using Add/Remove programs, or can I just replace/overwrite it with the new CVS?

Also, does SCP have the latest builds:
http://scp.indiegames.us/download.php?list.2

And yes, I've went real far with this 32mb card indeed (as I've said, just an NVidea GeForce Go5200). Pimped out drivers can take you places...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You don't need to uninstall FS2 to upgrade it. Simple install the new files and delete/move the old ones.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
I take it when you first found the scp you used the 3.6.5 installer just like i did? In which case i think you'll have to go into add remove programs to get it off of their. If not with use of the old installer, go in and remove the 3.6.5 executable and launcher manually.
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,40886.0.html Then go here and download the 3.6.9rc5. I don't know how the rc5 will be, but i've used the rc1 with not a single problem.
When you have the 3.6.5 removed, drag the 3.6.9rc5 executable into fs2 main directory.
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,40121.0.html Then go here and download the new test launcher, yet another one of those things that works without a problem though it says test. Put the launcher into the fs2 main directory and make a shortcut to the launcher on your desktop.
Another thing, yes plz start downloading the zeta's, they are the newest, and the best.
New beams, new affects, newer ships, seeing that you're a 3.6.5er, you might need to powder your nuts as you'll be blown away.
To install mediavps the new way which is highly helpful is in karajorma's faq http://homepage.ntlworld.com/karajorma/FAQ/installingmods.html I believe this has the information for it. If you don't know how to install mvps the new, do it the old way as that still works too, but if you do it the new way, it lets you go back and forth from retail and mvp goodness with the click of a button.
Another thing you'll want to check out if the new beams are slowing you down. I had a 9800pro 256mb and the beams were just killing my card. Dab created the same type of beams, just compressed version, they really look about the same to me. http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,38935.0.html so go here and download the sane version of the animated beam glows, and put them in their respective place, i don't remember if they were a vp or individual files, they have instructions in that thread how to do it anyway.
Last but not least, play in opengl at your own custom resolution whatever you desire, recommended it be at 1024x768 or 640x480 or other resolutions might have fov problems.
The last thing is to install openal http://developer.creative.com/articles/article.asp?cat=1&sbcat=31&top=38&aid=46&file=OpenALwEAX.exe
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

Offline sfried

I take it when you first found the scp you used the 3.6.5 installer just like i did? In which case i think you'll have to go into add remove programs to get it off of their. If not with use of the old installer, go in and remove the 3.6.5 executable and launcher manually.
Nice guess. Been stuck with it for a while.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,40886.0.html Then go here and download the 3.6.9rc5. I don't know how the rc5 will be, but i've used the rc1 with not a single problem.
When you have the 3.6.5 removed, drag the 3.6.9rc5 executable into fs2 main directory.
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,40121.0.html Then go here and download the new test launcher, yet another one of those things that works without a problem though it says test. Put the launcher into the fs2 main directory and make a shortcut to the launcher on your desktop.
The launcher that came with 3.6.9rc5 seems more recent than the one from the new "test launcher" (which says "pre-5.4", while the one in rc5 says "5.4.1-pre"). Which one should I use?

Another thing, yes plz start downloading the zeta's, they are the newest, and the best.
New beams, new affects, newer ships, seeing that you're a 3.6.5er, you might need to powder your nuts as you'll be blown away.
To install mediavps the new way which is highly helpful is in karajorma's faq http://homepage.ntlworld.com/karajorma/FAQ/installingmods.html I believe this has the information for it. If you don't know how to install mvps the new, do it the old way as that still works too, but if you do it the new way, it lets you go back and forth from retail and mvp goodness with the click of a button.
Another thing you'll want to check out if the new beams are slowing you down. I had a 9800pro 256mb and the beams were just killing my card. Dab created the same type of beams, just compressed version, they really look about the same to me. http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,38935.0.html so go here and download the sane version of the animated beam glows, and put them in their respective place, i don't remember if they were a vp or individual files, they have instructions in that thread how to do it anyway.
Last but not least, play in opengl at your own custom resolution whatever you desire, recommended it be at 1024x768 or 640x480 or other resolutions might have fov problems.
The last thing is to install openal http://developer.creative.com/articles/article.asp?cat=1&sbcat=31&top=38&aid=46&file=OpenALwEAX.exe

I have a directory (which I believe I made for SPC) called "mediaVP". Is that where I dump the extracted VP files? (I also have a couple of .vp files in there, including one called "Bob_deimos.vp". Should I remove it?)

As for the sane version of beam glows, I've read the thread and still have no idea where to stick it.

Edit: As for Flags in the launcher, which should I enable/disable as default?

Edit 3: Disregard Edit 2... Wow. But mv_music.vp seems kinda wonky (clearly missing some of the more ambient music tracks). Encountering stuttering problems, and the whole preload mission game sound just makes it worse. I'm not quite sure what the deal with OpenAL Sound device is for.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 09:56:22 pm by sfried »

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Just use the launcher that comes with 3.6.9rc5. The directory you made called mediavp, dump all of your extracted vp's in there. If mvmusic doesn't work for you, just get rid of it, the default quality fs2 music you'll probably be content with if mvmusic doesn't work for you. Bobdeimos.vp, umm, just replace it with the new mediavps period. As for the sane version of the beams, i believe you put them in data>effects.
As far as flags go, just mainly get rid of the preload ****, that doesn't really help at all for most. And then you'll have to ask people which people which flags are which and which you should turn on, because i'm not on my computer right now to reference my fs2 launcher for you. Some good flags to enable is vsync, keeps the frame matched up with the hertz rate as best as your video card can do at all times in the game. It makes gameplay a lot smoother, and gets rid of tearing in the 3d environment. Also if things are going slow for you, turn on the compression feature flag. And be sure to go into environmental tab and turn on the 2 environmental setting flags in there. That's all i remember right now. Also, when you have the mediavp folder set up, get a mod.ini, and then load the mediavp folder in the mods section of the launcher to use the enhanced mediavps. If for some reason you want to go back to vanilla fs2, just unload the mediavp folder from the mod portion of the launcher(one of the big reasons the mediavp folder idea was concieved).
Sorry i'm not on my computer right now, or i'd be a much bigger help. But you're surrounded with hlpeople here who are on their own computers and do have direct reference as opposed to me :)
Another thing you want to do, is put in custom flags for the ambient and specular lighting(enhances gameplay by like 50%).

SMBFD

Offline sfried

Thanks for the tip. I don't really notice any loss in quality with the compression on, but the performance is quite better, especially with the explosions.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Glad to help. While you're at it, go look at some good screenshots in general freespace.

SMBFD