Author Topic: About Interplay.....  (Read 4649 times)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Re: About Interplay.....
I just get the feeling that no matter what the 'real' story is, it's only going to please about 3% of us and dissapoint the rest for not being 'right' in some way. To be honest, knowing the final plot would probably damage the Freespace 2 communities' motivation, not enhance it.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
I still stand by my pledge that if I ever come into enough money to buy the purchase the FS license, i'll subsequently post up a video here of me eating it.

Perhaps HLP members could pool their money and buy the rights.... how much do rights to a franchise cost anyway?
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars. So basically out of our league really.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
The fact that most of us are teenagers and 20 somthings doesn't help things

If I had enough money to buy the license I'd go get myself a car, and maybe a house

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Ok, guys; The FS community has been around since 1998, and HLP since around 2000 or so (I forget exact date). You'd think that after almost 6-8 years, if we could buy it, we would've, don't you think?

Simply put: We can't.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
The fact that most of us are teenagers and 20 somthings doesn't help things

If I had enough money to buy the license I'd go get myself a car, and maybe a house

My point was that even if we could, there are better things in life to spend the money on.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Luckily the better things in life consist of a roof over my head and food to eat.
LICENSE ALL THE WAY :nod:
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
That idea was brought up and discussed about a zillion times....

Why do you think I play powerball religiously?  :nervous:

Making plans for FS(X) is the only thing that keeps me sane....
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline FSW

If a thrid game were ever to be released, could it possibly live up to the expectations that we've built up over so many years?
I suppose we will never know.

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Possibly if (V) and the community were involved...

"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

I wonder if :v: ever plays the user-made campagins. Has anyone ever gotten feedback from a :v: member?
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Hmm....I'm finally back. After many years of being out of this community, I've returned....

Anyway, buying the rights to Interplay or somehow having FS3 made, would screw up everything. It brings about the old question of: Do you want to know how you die?

This would throw every other mod into disarray, and probably limit us. We like how FS2 ended on a cliff hanger because it leaves such a broad world for the modders to build upon. That's my two cents. Great to be back here, btw.
"Do or do not, there is not try."

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't.'

The Land of Dallan MMO - Coming Summer 2006

{SS}Infantry Clan Leader

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Tolian Soran: Just who the hell are you? :p

yeah, i kind of liked the cliffhanger, myself. But it reminds me too much of Halo 2's cliffie. it's infuriating not to know WTF happens to the hero/race.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Another thing about cliffhangers is that your eventually supposed to know what was going to happen anyway. A story with a cliffhanger is missing an actual conclusion and leads on to another part. Perhaps it's also something dumb like the fact that people may just like the "feeling" to there not being a sequel. There definitely needs to be something to ruin this "high". That's if it's as dumb as that
No if an fs3 existed it would not put every mod into disarray. That's a horrible argument, especially since that there are a couple of fs1 mods that try to conclude the fs1 cliffhanger before fs2 came out. **** that argument in the ass, no atm plz.
No if an fs3 existed, it would do anything but limit us here at the hlp, it would probably do the opposite. Oh look, more content to mess with...well that will just limit me now :lol: **** that argument in the ass, no atm plz.
Actually with the way fs2 has ended, it's sort of almost not broad enough. Thinking of ideas for post capella have been dumb and intelligent, as well as being too crazy and overboard along with this was ****ing awesome. When you work with something like the cliffhanger ending of fs2, it also leaves you with the fact that you have to look for something to work with. It's much easier for mods that don't take place after capella. When you make a post-capella mod, you pretty much have to write a new story, which is why some of the people here do it. Derelict was an awesome campaign, at least it actually dealt with many things in the ending of fs2. Inferno on the other hand, doesn't.
But, really, in all honesty if fs3 came out tomorrow, it would not limit the broadness, and if anything the people working on their mods would still complete them. **** that argument in the ass, no atm plz.
On the other hand for people who don't want an official sequel at all costs don't like change too much. Would you like the hlp to be stagnant forever with a bunch of really awesome campaigns that say they will be released next month but take a couple of years(inferno)? Would you really like to see the hlp when all of the ships in fs2 have been htl'ed? Would you really like to see if the hlp had actually come up with a campaign everybody around here considered to be the sequel to fs2(not going to happen)? Just what if then :drevil:
In all honesty the hlp will never be stagnant. The fso engine is awesome, and so far limitless, and is growing in power and popularity. A bunch of mods are using the fso engine like star wars, star trek, bsg the red line. The hlp is going in a good direction and will never stop anyway :nod:
Just when will all of the things for fs2 stop? When all the excitement for fs1 and fs2 go away, walah, many will want an actual fs3 ;)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 01:33:22 am by S-99 »
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Surely the release of the "source" code means that the licencse went freeware?

technically, no. they released the source itself, but not the models and such. the reason they released the source (from what i can tell) is for modders, for "unnoficial patches and upgrades", for people to learn from, and possibly a hint at either #1 theres not going to be another game #2 theres not going to be another game for a long time, or #3 a game was just released as a sequal years later (quake 2 and 3 for instance) but most of all, which encompasses all of these, for the community

and theres the open source model, which doesnt apply to FS

Offline PotzUK

• PyroPort
For the record (and this is from [V])

Actually, we've got our share of hopefuls holding out
here as well on that one. (FS3) I think if it ever did happen there'd likely
force us to make it a "from the makers of..." title. Yay.

I've got a few contacts in V still, from my days of running the PyroPort.com website back when it was a Descent / Freespace fansite  8)

Although, I believe an article I wrote a while back is particularly relevant here:  http://www.pyroport.com/showarticle.asp?item=4