Author Topic: Two Problems  (Read 2794 times)

Hey, first and foremost, let me say you all have been doing an absolutely crazy-fantastic job. Un-freakin-believable.

Now that i'm done sucking up  ;7, I seem to be having some issues.

When I start up freespace 2, I get the intro cutscene, but there is no audio, only static. I copied some later cutscenes into different slots (eg, re-named colossus to mono1 or what not), and I'm getting the same thing - the video works, but there's just static for the audio.

What's interesting to me is that the static rises and falls with how loud the sound should be.

Another issue is that, during actual gameplay, with builds I got on july 5th and july 10th, there is a problem with the damage effects. Shield glows show up as a black polygonal figure, and the little fires on big ships that happen when you shoot them are showing up as black blocks. I'm wondering if this is an issue with 3.6.9, as the build that works, a snapshot from May 2, is 3.6.8, I believe.

Also, I don't know how significant this is, but when I play with my mod set to the fs1 port (and mediavps), everything is fine. The cutscenes play beautifully, and there are no graphical glitches whatsoever.

for fs2, I put the following in a script:

Code: [Select]
cd /opt/fs2_open/
xinit ./fs2_open_r -3dwarp -spec -glow -mipmap -jpgtga -orbradar -mod mediavps

I did the same thing for fs1, only adding -mod Fs1_port_3 before mediavps

:confused:

[EDIT] - on a hunch, I copied the fs2 intro into the fs1 folder, and I'm getting the same static stuff, so I'm wondering if it's the mve files that are corrupted. Would it be possible for anyone to point me to somewhere I could find a set of mve files that are known to work that I could test? I was having trouble with the second disc from freespacezone - IIRC, it didn't come with a cue file, and bin2iso didn't feel like making one that worked. I'll try again, though, and maybe have better luck.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 11:40:07 pm by justinmc »

Gunnery control, target justinmc, OPEN FIRE!

:welcome:

Welcome to HLP! Exits are to the right and left, but are currently blocked, repairs forthcoming. In emergencies, flamethrowers have been stowed under all seats, however budgets have been cut, so the napalm has been replaced with canisters of holy water. Plasma weapons are located in the secure lockers, but only an admin, :v: god, or hyperintelligent shade of blue may open them. Should you go crawling through the ducts for whatever reason, beware eyes arranged in this pattern:

o o    o o
    o  o   
      o 

Don't be too alarmed, it's only Carl, our resident Shivan. Throw him your lunch, and he might leave you alone. Thank you and enjoy your say!  :yes:

Might I suggest downloading the cutscenes from this location. Might be limited to only your files, so try those out.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
When I start up freespace 2, I get the intro cutscene, but there is no audio, only static. I copied some later cutscenes into different slots (eg, re-named colossus to mono1 or what not), and I'm getting the same thing - the video works, but there's just static for the audio.
The MVE files are fine, but the FS2 movies need 44.1 kHz for audio and OpenAL is initialized by default at 22 (this is more of a Linux-only thing, neither OS X nor Windows has a real problem with this).  The easiest fix is to add "SoundSampleRate=44100" (w/o the quotes) the the "[Default]" section of your ~/.fs2_open/fs2_open.ini file.  That should init OpenAL at the correct settings to play the FS2 MVEs without the static.  The FS1 MVEs are 22kHz which is why they work without any changes.

Another issue is that, during actual gameplay, with builds I got on july 5th and july 10th, there is a problem with the damage effects. Shield glows show up as a black polygonal figure, and the little fires on big ships that happen when you shoot them are showing up as black blocks. I'm wondering if this is an issue with 3.6.9, as the build that works, a snapshot from May 2, is 3.6.8, I believe.
Be sure to get the MediaVP patches for the newer builds.  Those should fix the black effects problems and some animation issues.  Look here for the current patches.

Awesome. Things work now.

Is there anything I can do to help the project?

I have some programming experience, and I can debug stuff, although I don't have much experience with these specific libraries (openAL, et. al.)

I too have a problem.

On certain missions from certain mods after playin the mission for a while suddenly my fps drops to 4. I've had this problem with the CVS builds from up to a couple days ago. I also get it with the linux build of RC3, Im on Ubuntu Dapper btw.

The most recent fps-drop problem that I have is when Im playing the mission "To run from death..." of Sync. Just after the 2 vasudan corvettes jump in the game drops to 4 fps and stays like that. My usual fps is constant bewteen 80 and 120 and when there al al lot stuff happening it can drop to 30/40 but 4 is just unplayable.

Ive also had this problem with a couple of other mods aswell, for example ITDoH1 and 2 and Desperation but im pretty sure its a not a mod issue cuz Ive had no problem playing these mods in Windows with RC3

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
The most recent fps-drop problem that I have is when Im playing the mission "To run from death..." of Sync. Just after the 2 vasudan corvettes jump in the game drops to 4 fps and stays like that. My usual fps is constant bewteen 80 and 120 and when there al al lot stuff happening it can drop to 30/40 but 4 is just unplayable.
Strange.  I can't really think of a reason for this, but I'll give that mission a try later today and see what I can find.

Yeah I know its really weird at first I thought it was my doing cuz I was like experimentig with a dozen or so optimizations so in the end I just gave on them and did a default compile but unfortunately no luck there.

Im using the latest ati driver thats in the repo's.

Awesome. Things work now.

Is there anything I can do to help the project?

I have some programming experience, and I can debug stuff, although I don't have much experience with these specific libraries (openAL, et. al.)

Talk to the people at this thread.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"