Author Topic: Israel moves tanks into Lebanon  (Read 66959 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Israel moves tanks into Lebanon
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/5171616.stm
The Lebanese Shia militant group Hezbollah says it has captured two Israeli soldiers during clashes across the Lebanese-Israeli border.

The Israeli defence ministry has confirmed the two soldiers were seized by Hezbollah, Associated Press reports.  The capture occurred during morning clashes on the Israeli-Lebanese border. Hezbollah launched dozens of Katyusha rockets and mortar bombs at the Israeli town of Shlomi and at Israeli outposts in the disputed Shebaa Farms area.

Israel said its aircraft hit Hezbollah positions in southern Lebanon after the rockets were fired and bombed a bridge. Israeli tanks were also firing artillery rounds at southern Lebanon.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/12072006/323/israel-army-launches-air-ground-assault-lebanon.html

JERUSALEM (AFP) - The Israeli army launched a ground and air assault on Lebanon after admitting there was a strong chance two soldiers had been captured by Hezbollah militants, a spokesman said.

"Our planes, tanks and artillery are operating inside Lebanese territory," the spokesman said, stressing the offensive began after the army said there was a "strong possibility" that two soldiers had been captured.
Call me negativist, but I'm beginning to feel more and more we're on the brink of a major conflict.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Re: Israel moves tanks into Lebanon

Call me negativist, but I'm beginning to feel more and more we're on the brink of a major conflict.

You're a negativist!! Whatever that means!

What! Well you asked us to call you that!
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
So, if I go abduct 2 Israeli soldiers, will Israel invade Australia?

Edit: What the hell is with the banners for this thread...

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Hey, the **** was gonna hit the fan some day.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
****!
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Well this should turn out interestingly enough.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
How long 'till it blows?
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
You mean how long 'till it blows over? Probably a few weeks. Hezbollah has been firing Katyushas at Israel for years, and Israel has been bombing Hezbollah positions right back. It might very well be that the recent lull in violence has been an unnatural pause, as has the IDF's departure from Gaza, and things are only now returning to their normal pattern.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
The **** has officially hit the fan, ladies and gentlefolk. I'm well and truly surprised (and, I admit, quite relieved) that I haven't been called up yet today.

I found Hezbollah's offer to release the 2 captured soldiers and Gilad Shalit, the soldier captured by Hamas in Gaza last week (IIRC), in exchange for Israel's releasing of thousands of arrested Palestinians quite intriguing. Shows the value both sides put on the respective lives of people. But that's always been so. Even more interesting is the fact that Hezbollah is apparently speaking on behalf of themselves AND Hamas - throwing out the window any arguments that the two organizations aren't in cahoots.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
The **** has officially hit the fan, ladies and gentlefolk. I'm well and truly surprised (and, I admit, quite relieved) that I haven't been called up yet today.

I found Hezbollah's offer to release the 2 captured soldiers and Gilad Shalit, the soldier captured by Hamas in Gaza last week (IIRC), in exchange for Israel's releasing of thousands of arrested Palestinians quite intriguing. Shows the value both sides put on the respective lives of people. But that's always been so.

Mmm.  But let us also factor in the civillian casualties both sides are willing to inflict into that equation, eh?

Even more interesting is the fact that Hezbollah is apparently speaking on behalf of themselves AND Hamas - throwing out the window any arguments that the two organizations aren't in cahoots.

I didn't think there was any doubt the 2 organizations shared ideologies.  What interests me is what the Lebanon government does; it would seem pretty evident that they did not expect this, and it ****s them up royally; either they engage in a war they can't win against Israel (at least not without it expanding to the mother of all nightmares - a full on Arab world vs Israel conflict), or they have to take on Hezbollah itself and risk a civil war.

Offline itay390

im from israel

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
So's Sandwich :)

Welcome aboard! Not sure you'll really see HLP at it'd best in this thread, opinions are strong and we are used to heated debate, but I hope you'll enjoy your stay nonetheless :)

For my part, I just hope this can be sorted out with as little bloodshed as possible. A dreamer perhaps, but the world needs more of us.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
ROBOT HOUSE!

Edit: Bollocks wrong forum.  :nervous:
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net

Also, good luck Sandwich.  Hope you don't even get called up in the first place, but if you do hope you make it through fine. :nod:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 02:44:57 pm by Swantz »
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/5175002.stm

Palestinian Foreign Ministry bombed....

I really wish I knew what to say, hopefully this can be sorted out before it escalates all the more, but at the moment, this is looking unlikely :(

Offline redmenace

So if Hezbollah Kills the 3 captured soldiers, can israel kill 3,000 prisoners?
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline neoterran

If we terraformed antarctica and relocated israel there (this is assuming future technology of course) we can leave muslims their palestine and the jews get the new antarctica.

That should put some decent distance between them and there would be no excuses for fighting then. The jews can have Zion (much bigger too !) and Palestine can exist where it is. Problem solved. Well, there would be the small question of what happens to the poor penguins. Well, we'd relocate them to the north pole, which would also solve the problem of starving Polar Bears !  ;)
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Yes but how would you convince the Jews that Antartica was their real holy land? Penguins looking like Nuns would only work for Catholics...
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
There'd still be the issue of Mt Temple. That's one of the major bones of contention there, it has significance for both cultures. It's a terrible waste of both lives and money for both Israel and Palestine to keep this up, but the idea of sharing seems to be so far out the window as to be an impossible dream. Israel has it's reasons for blaming the Palestinians and vice versa, but when countries argue, people die, no foreign policy, no religion, no amount of conviction will protect you from a bomb or a bullet. So people are dying for an ideal, one that both sides know can never be achieved, and yet they continue to die.

Is that conviction or just plain stupid. My Uncle lies in a near Coma tonight dying of Motor Neuron disease by degrees, he cannot even go to the toilet on his own, and yet perfectly healthy young men and women are throwing their lives away without reason, they honestly do not understand the gifts they have been given :(