Author Topic: Stupid or "Stereotypically" Ugly Ships, Retail or Otherwise  (Read 12228 times)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Stupid or "Stereotypically" Ugly Ships, Retail or Otherwise
First let me state that everything in my posts in this topic is IMO, and it will be quite difficult (and pointless) to try to convince me that I am wrong on one of these issues.

I personally must say the Taurvi does not look at all Shivan, other than that it is red, and the Aeshma is like the "stereotypical" Shivan fighter. While the Aeshma is a sort-of cool ship, it's too similar in appearance to other Shivan ships for me to really like. Why are the Lilith and Cain exactly the same model they should at least have like one polygon slightly different texture or maybe an extra spike or something cool like that!

The Ptah is cool, but its texturing is somewhat off. Bes should be in the retail campaign it is awesome. Mentu looks stupid, and its design makes the front higher than the back. They need more destroyers and a better cruiser. Also sentry guns. Don't give me that "leave this aspect to the Terrans" nonsense, just come up with something better than the Edjo, you stupid Icthyophiles! Actually, no. Vasudans are cool. Forget I said that. (Thinks briefly of Mel Gibson)

As for Terran ships: Erinyes = ugly vomit bag vomit vomit phlegm puke dirty diapers ship, Herc 2 is boring, Ares needs retexturing, Why are the Fenris and Leviathan exactly the same model they should at least have like one polygon slightly different texture or maybe an extra spike or something cool like that!

And why don't we ever get to find out what the Ancient's looked like? I want more Ancient artifacts than one lousy Knossos. (Or three, for that matter.) Something like the Shivan Comm. Node but Ancient would be awesome.

Edit: and a lot of non-canon ships are lame and derivative.

It's late. I'm cranky. My 2D FS2 game isn't coming very smoothly. Gimme tokens!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: Stupid or "Stereotypically" Ugly Ships, Retail or Otherwise
Errr.... Token?

Anyway, I hated the Taurvi until I looked at the animated glowmaps. The dots... they move  :eek:
Oh, and the Lilith/Cain and Leviathan/Fenris are :V: being lazy. BUT the Ares ist der fuhrer. Erinyes is one of those things you use to pick hairs off your feet. Ptah does't have animated glowmaps so it should burn in hell (if it did, it should be bathed in paradise). The Aeshma is s**t. Really. The Basilisk is FAR better than that... that thing. FS1 = Shivan, FS2 = Bugs. And the Mentu sucks get over it.

Oh, BTW your 2D game looks nice.

Offline Apathy

Erinyes and Ares are both ment to look experimental/strange/different, which they do quite well. No one uses the Ares anyway, the erinyes rocks too bad with its 8 guns.  ;)

Offline Night Hammer

• I Can't FRED
  • You'll shoot your eye out...
wow after 5 years weve still got nub threads like this

all the awacssss were ugly

ravana is a sterotypical shivan ship

Stop... Hammertime :hammer:

Offline Snail

• SC 5
How dare you!!! Saying the Erinyes is better than the Ares is like saying the Herc is better than the Herc 2 just because it has two more primary hardpoints.  :mad2:

Anyway, I used the Erinyes for only two missions: Clash of the Titans II and Apocalypse (a.k.a. Incoming Transmission), as it had a much better speed and god-given primary weapons, but ran out of secondaries WAY to fast.

And the Lucifer is WHEY better than the Ravana (though it does look cool).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 08:39:25 am by Snail »

Offline PotzUK

• PyroPort
Erinyes and Ares are both ment to look experimental/strange/different, which they do quite well. No one uses the Ares anyway, the erinyes rocks too bad with its 8 guns.  ;)

I beg to differ - the Ares is my favourite ship to fly :)  Plenty of armour with a massive payload to boot.  A tad slow perhaps, but with some energy diverted there from shields/weapons it's not too bad :)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Yush!

I beg to differ - the Ares is my favourite ship to fly :)  Plenty of armour with a massive payload to boot.  A tad slow perhaps, but with some energy diverted there from shields/weapons it's not too bad :)

I absolutely swear I agree with you.  :nod:  Ares fighters have a MUCH higher secondary ability, and much heavier armor. I loved flying the Ares and the Herc Mk.2

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Ugly? The Orion.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Is that Raa?? Anyway, I think, that the Orion is one of the most Terran ships you can get. Blocky, compact, powerful (?). Symbol of Terran pride.  :nod:

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Let's see...pretty much all of the Terran and Vasudan sentry guns (except the Mjolnir), Erinyes, Argo, Pharos (the FS1 nav looked better), TAC 3, Sekhmet, SC 2, SAC 3 (the high poly one looks much nicer), Aeshma and Mephisto (don't look Shivan).

And I also use the Ares over the Erinyes in most situations. The Erinyes is useful in Dunkerque for its speed, but in all the other 70th missions I would much rather have the extra armor and secondary capacity (more tempests) than the second quad primary bank.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
First let me state that everything in my posts in this topic is IMO, and it will be quite difficult (and pointless) to try to convince me that I am wrong on one of these issues.

So why did you even post this? If no one is supposed to disagree with you, what's the use of expressing your opinion.

Many of the things you listed could be fixed by switching to FSO with the mediaVPs, the Cain / Lilith and Fenris / Leviathan in particular

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I wasn't saying "don't respond," I was saying "don't try to convince me otherwise."

Geez.

Offline ]C[rusader

• Ouch.
i do find it interesting, how a descriptivist comment like "i disagree with you", and a prescriptivist comment like "i will convince you", are sometimes assumed to be the same thing.

i think most of the FS2 Terran ships are ugly as sin.  As far as fighters go, i prefer the more conventionally 'boxy' FS designs. 

i think the entire "Shivan ships as insects" idea is overdone in FS2.  FS Shivans looked quite satisfyingly alien, whereas the sequel's craft seem vaguely too Earthlike (the first time i saw the Sathanas, i thought "honestly, it's just a bloody big tick").

i think the Vasudan ships are generally ugly, but i do appreciate how they at least appear extraterrestrial, for the most part.

Best ship: (in appearance) Hercules; (in performance) Ares

Worst ship: (in appearance) Erinyes or Moloch; (in performance) Artemis
Open foot, insert mouth.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Is that Raa?? Anyway, I think, that the Orion is one of the most Terran ships you can get. Blocky, compact, powerful (?). Symbol of Terran pride.  :nod:

Well, aside from propaganda for a Setekh render....... :rolleyes: :p Those are precisely the characteristics I find least attractive about it
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The Orion is from the "looks like a warship" school, which I consider to be good. Most Terran capital craft are.

I've been playing Derelict SCP...and I have to say that the more I look at it, the more the Lucifer annoys me. It doesn't look...Shivan enough, for some reason.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Sorry  :sigh: , today has been one disaster after another, and I'm in a bad mood  :mad2:

Lucy is too round I think, to look entirely Shivan. Really though, I think the FS1 era ships at least, all look good, and since 3.6.8 or so, all of the ships (besides the Bes maybe) look really good, especially due to the moddlers.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 09:55:38 pm by Mars »

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Is that Raa??

ahh!

I was wondering why I had never seen him before.

Anyway,

Orion = cool
Hecate = bad in HDR and nebulea
lucy = okay
demon = too chunky
perseus = okay
enrinyies = too long
aries = weird texture
herc 2 = meh
herc 1 = blocky
myrm = too curvy
bonergraze = meh
medusa = okay
deimos = cool
fenris/leviathan = strange
aeouls = cool
sobek = okay
hatshepsut = pregnant
ravana = meh
taruvi = funny
moloch = cool
cain/lilith = meh
astoroth = eww
mephisto = no
typhoon = which ways up?
mara = nice
ashema = meh
hygia = cool
nephtyis (zod support) = okay
mentu = bad
aten = bad
ursa = needs fixed texture

(IMO)

:nervous:

[/*****]

The Abel-class cruiser in Inferno R1 looked really stupid. (No one said we had to stay limited to retail.)

What I hate are those animated glowmaps on some Lucifer models, in which the the dots "rotate". I'm sure you know what I mean. I like the look of the HTL Lucifer much better.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Orion = cool
Hecate = bad in HDR and nebulea
lucy = okay
demon = too chunky
perseus = okay
enrinyies = too long
aries = weird texture
herc 2 = meh
herc 1 = blocky
myrm = too curvy
bonergraze = meh
medusa = okay
deimos = cool
fenris/leviathan = strange
aeouls = cool
sobek = okay
hatshepsut = pregnant
ravana = meh
taruvi = funny
moloch = cool
cain/lilith = meh
astoroth = eww
mephisto = no
typhoon = which ways up?
mara = nice
ashema = meh
hygia = cool
nephtyis (zod support) = okay
mentu = bad
aten = bad
ursa = needs fixed texture

(IMO)

:nervous:

[/*****]

So the only ships in the game that you like are the Orion, Aeolus, Moloch and the Hygeia?   :lol:

He said the Mara was "nice", and several others were "okay".
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"