Author Topic: Insane difficulty  (Read 8774 times)

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
That satement is in fact 100% wrong. in FS2 it is ungodly harder, but FS1 was actually relatively simple (though i did break 2 joysticks in the month it took).

For me it was the complete reverse.  Beating FS2 on insane, while difficult, was much easier than beating FS1 on insane.  "Good Luck" in particular took ages to beat.

Although this might have been because I insisted on completing all the objectives and getting all the medals. :) I know that COTT would have been easier if I hadn't destroyed the Tantalus or kept the Bastion's hull above 35.

The only :v:-made single-player campaign mission I haven't beaten is Secrets Revealed, the last mission in Silent Threat.  I'm not even sure it's possible on insane; I can't even get into firing range of the Jotunheim.

Not to mention having to sit there and kill the hades again.
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yeah.  I should clarify that I have beaten Secrets Revealed on Medium, in both Silent Threat and the Port; my wording may not have been clear in that respect. :)

Offline Freespace Freak

• Official forum permanewb
The port seems to be very good at keeping the gameplay more or less identical to vanilla FS1.  I even noticed how it's much easier to damage your subsystems or take damage from collisions in the port, just like it is in the original.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
For me, FS1 and FS2 on Insane were much easier and faster than playing them on Very Easy or Easy.

You just have to adjust your playing style to fit the fact that all the weapons are much stronger and that everything goes down in fewer hits than it does on easier settings. Afterburners are used for evasion, not travelling, and the friendly AI is instrumental considering how good the AI in FS1 and 2 is. It follows your orders directly to the letter, and it is very powerful against enemies because of their "aimbot".

The only missions where Insane is hard is where you can't control your AI to the fullest. But there aren't many of those really.

Silent Threat's last mission is invariably faster the higher the difficulty setting is. The weapons do more damage, therefore the cap goes down quicker.

The only people who ever had the "OMGZ RUBBER SPRING ON JOYSTICK, OFF TO LUNCH TO KEEL HADES" were the people playing on Very Easy and Easy because their weapons didn't do **** damage to the cap.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
I always go in for capship damaging, then let my buds take it down with their beams...

I've gotten so many points so far by simply using afterburner to get in range, and damaging a capship about 1%. I get the kill, and more points. A few times that I know an enemy capship is doomed, I jump in just to give 1% damage. I do that alot on cruisers.... easy to disable and disarm, and fun to simply blast around. I have disabled the Cato about 12 times, and the Rakshasa (from the first Knossos mission) about 7 times. Stiletto II's are my best friend in OEM.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

hmm, i dont know what all you guys are winging about....

when i first bought FS2 i started playing on medium....i finnished the game...then did it again on medium....then did it on hard...then stepped up to insane cause iw as bored one day.....3 years later...and i can do the whole cmapaign on insane without dieing or failing once......BOO YEA!!!

you just have t have the right tacticts.....for instance...when a cap ship is firing a AAA beam at you...you can jump in font of enemy fighters and they get hit instead....you get your sheilds damaged from that at most....another wonderful tactic is to use any big object as your personal sheild...especially for missles...even enemy cap ships....when u got issles after you...skip around a cap ship and you get 2 bonuses from it..you dont get killed and you jurt an enemy cap ship...

anyways....insane is actually harder on fs1 i think....sheilds are my friends...haha, but yea...come on guys..i thought you were good  :lol:

but i also must say.....i know every mission almost inside out and can pretty much know where a ship is gonna come out of subspace and get behind a wing or enemy fighters before they even jump in...so i nail all of them before they even know im there....

oh..only one tip....if you want to stay alive until no more dragons come in the mystery of the trinity mission....just  run away as fast as you can...and then fly past them all guns ablazing and then run away..and keep repeating..you can only take dragons from far away...cause once u shot at them a few times..they go into psycho gymnastic lets break the laws of physics mode....and you have no chance...

also...p.s. im one of those people that can finnish games like HL2 in an hour and 19 minutes....

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

(any hungarians....my name does not contain profanities....they are kiddy words....kaka is not rude, haha)
Teknðs vagyok

kaka pohárban

Spare me the welcome beam, although this is my first post I've been a lurker for quite a while.  :pimp:

I don't have FS2, but I did complete the FS1 campaign with MOST of the missions on Insane. There were some that I just couldn't get past and had to go on Medium or Very Easy, but I finished about 90% of the campaign. Then I went through the campaign on Medium and made it through in like 3 days without dying or failing. Medium difficulty is fun because you get to massacre the AI hordes, but really, once you've played the campaign several times you want to try something new.

As for medals/promotions, here's how they work. I have a copy of VPVIEW (it's a free utility that lets you view the game files) and have looked at a lot of campaign missions in FRED. You get medals for doing specific things (usually getting all bonus, secondary and primary goals complete) on specific missions, as long as you are at a certain difficulty level or above. In the main FS campaign, you have to be at Medium or above to get the medals, so if you want to get medals, play on Medium. Rank is also affected by difficulty, apparently- you get points for killing ships and completing objectives, mostly for the latter (each fighter is worth like 10-20 points and a destroyer 1000, while most objectives are 300-1000 points). When I played the Insane level, even though I didn't kill any cap ships I did get promoted to Lieutenant JG about halfway through the campaign. On Medium, I killed 2 Typhons, 2 Demons and 2 Cains but only got promoted to Lt. JG very late in the game.

If you want to see the different point requirements for rank, google VPVIEW and download it. It's only like 2mb and is a really neat tool.

A few missions are actually easier on Insane. This is because Insane increases the skill of ALL Ai pilots, even friendlies. Play Last Hope (FS1) on Very Easy, don't do anything, just fly away and see how your wingmen perform. Now play the same mission on Insane and notice that the Hope will last a lot longer. Playing with both sides at high AI levels generally benefits the defender because the attacker is mostly doing bomber attacks which don't take much skill.

Oh, and if you have trouble beating Good Luck, either pick a Ursa in The Great Hunt and kill the reactors yourself, or fly in a fighter and get REALLY close to Reactor 5. If you get close enough, the fighters will ignore you and the only thing that will shot at you will be a missile launcher right above the reactor. Kill it and just sit there pounding the reactor until it's dead. Delta wing will handle the other four.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
got promoted to Lt. JG very late in the game.

When you destroy the anvil there is a grant-promotion sexp, so you are guarenteed to get a promotion there unless you slack off and dont kill it.

AHTW

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Edit the mission and make it happen after mission_time>1.....
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
-if
|  true
+grant-promotion

AHTW

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
so just play that mission nine times, kill the anvil 9 times, and you make admiral?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Umm.............. :nervous:

*runs*

[distant]Worth a try......................[/distant]
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Yes, but you need to complete the entire campaign the first 8 times.

AHTW

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Make a little Campaign,boost the score.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
This is typically called cheating.

AHTW

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I used to just set a few bombers score to 10000000000 and kill it. Boom. Admiral. >..>;;
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
 ;7

I won't do that (probably) because I feel like having to waste too much of my life to make admiral... =P

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Well,when I installed my MODs uncorrectly I lost my kills with FS2(about 3,000).I deserve a rank boost!
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
For some reason I was reset to ensign even after converting my player files...  :mad:

Converting pilots dosen't do anything. It just carries the old player's control bindings and preferences. It dosen't carry over rank or anything else.