Author Topic: RELEASE: Flames of War - Chapter 1 Demo (10 missions)  (Read 18398 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
RELEASE: Flames of War - Chapter 1 Demo (10 missions)
FLAMES OF WAR

The fire is growing...Will you be consumed?

Description:
You are a young pilot assigned to the GTD Delacroix . The rebellion has been going on for allmost 15 months now, and the fight with the NTF is in a stalemate. Follow the destroyer in it's war path against the NTF and witness it's destruction at the hands (claws?) of the Ravana..

After the ship is lost you join a newly formed Fast Response Task Force (all fast ships, including a strike carrier, so you move from system to system very often).
Fighting the NTF and the shivans, your unit will travel acros the known space hoping to shift the battles in the GTVA's favor.

Experience the battles you heard about in briefings and rumors!

Ok, here it is.

I'm not nearly happy with this yet, as the missions could use extra testing and tweaking, so I expect some feedback. It contains the first 10 missions, up to the destruction of hte Delacroix.

I devided the demo in 3 separate files - they are not VP's yet as I can't remember how to work with VPMake, I'm lazy to check and no files will overwrite anything allready existing (except for the tbl folder, so if you have custom TBL's there you beter back them up)

FOW1_ShipsPack.rar -  the rar with all the models, interface, hud  and map files (5Mb)

FOW1_Demo.rar -  the file with the missions, effets and tables (426kb)

FOW1_CampaignNameplates.rar - contains nameplates for the whole campaign - OPTIONAL  (260KB)

EDIT: MissionFix.rar (98kb) - fixes all reported problems with missions

LINKY TO THE FILES:
http://www.hades-combine.com/web/hosted/fow/

You'll need the SCP for this and Lightspeeds nebulas.
I'd allso recomend to get my Squad Logos Pack from Hades Combine.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 02:59:39 pm by TrashMan »
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Nuclear1

Re: RELEASE: Flames of War - Chapter 1 Demo (10 missions)
Played through the first two missions so far, and I rather like it. The difficulty is a little overwhelming, especially in the first considering I can't control any of my squadmates, but otherwise it's great so far. Character development and original mission design really are the highlights so far. :)

I can't seem to get past the second mission, though. It's not as if it's too difficult (though having Ulmo freighters that are armed to the teeth firing at my already-exhausted wingmen doesn't help too much); it's just that no ending seems to lead to a return to base directive, message, or otherwise. I've allowed all of the NTF freighters to escape, and I've also tried to destroy most of them. Either way, the Zhidov jumps out, and I'm left with nothing.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I thought I fixed that. You should get the jump out directive if the cargo is destroyed or has departed.

Even without it just jump out when the Zhidov departs - the mission will end properly.

There are a few hidden things and hommages in the campaign, and I will tell you how to get them.

In the first mission, before you jump out, scan the cargo containers near the station..and whatch the debrief.

In mission 04 the name of the Corvette is a hommage to another FS2 campaign.

In mission 07 don't jump out - wait and see what happens (you WILL fail this mission if you do this, but this mission is an extreemly short one anyway)

I plan to put more in the final release :D

« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 03:56:35 pm by TrashMan »

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
A 10 mission demo? :yes:

I had a one misson demo (nearly complete) for DR, but I accidntly uninstalled Freespace :(

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
How about my upcoming 42+8 red alerts demo?

Seems that some models are missing.I try to see them with FRED but the CPU fails finding some POF files.
(Or they aren't needed in this demo?).
Ulmo and Aule are both Valar(uhm,Divinities)in J.R.R.T.'s works.
Ulmo:Like Poseidon(in fact they're both freighters).
Aule:Manufacturer,he has created the Dwarves.

It's good to see other campaigns using Tolkien's created names.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Seems that some models are missing.I try to see them with FRED but the CPU fails finding some POF files.
(Or they aren't needed in this demo?).
Ulmo and Aule are both Valar(uhm,Divinities)in J.R.R.T.'s works.
Ulmo:Like Poseidon(in fact they're both freighters).
Aule:Manufacturer,he has created the Dwarves.

It's good to see other campaigns using Tolkien's created names.

Yeah, they are not needed for the Demo (some are not needed for the whole Chapter 1 at all), but I forgot to put them out of the tables.
This included the mining vessel, the mining station, the NTCv Echelon and prolly some more I forgot to take out.

And yes, Tolkien is the man! :D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 02:16:55 am by TrashMan »

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
And yes, Tolkien is the man! :D

When I'll finish my campaign,you'll see HOW MANY Tolkien's creatures names I've used...
First mission:find the SC Carcharoth,then call in the GTC Huan as the cruiser pulverizes the Cain...
Remember nothing?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
This is getting annoying...the first mission has blown the crap out of me with the shockwaves o' doom three times now. (I wasn't even shooting at it the third time, Omega 2 rams the station and blows while I'm happily leaving it alone, but no...Also the first time I destroyed Omega 1 the shockwave did not go off. The second time it did.)

And something is screwy about my Subach. It shoots, and it hits stuff (I can see the damage trails where it hits and it does actually hurt things.), but I can't see the shots.

EDIT: Not getting better. Mission four has default loadouts, so the bombers don't come with any bombs (and the Myrmidons have Tornados months before they exist!) and no apparent provision for killing both NTF corvettes plus the cruiser and saving both friendly ones. It just sat there not doing anything for five minutes after the last NTF guy died. Jumping out I got a partial success and it says I killed one enemy corvette. Well, that's not true, I killed both! And saved both GTVA ones! :p

EDIT THE SECOND: And now it gives me the mission successful debrief and the AWOL debrief at the same time for mission 5. (And again with the Tornados!)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 07:48:34 pm by ngtm1r »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
When I'll finish my campaign,you'll see HOW MANY Tolkien's creatures names I've used...
First mission:find the SC Carcharoth,then call in the GTC Huan as the cruiser pulverizes the Cain...
Remember nothing?

It would make quite a DOG fight? :lol:

Quote from: ngtm1r
This is getting annoying...the first mission has blown the crap out of me with the shockwaves o' doom three times now. (I wasn't even shooting at it the third time, Omega 2 rams the station and blows while I'm happily leaving it alone, but no...Also the first time I destroyed Omega 1 the shockwave did not go off. The second time it did.)

And something is screwy about my Subach. It shoots, and it hits stuff (I can see the damage trails where it hits and it does actually hurt things.), but I can't see the shots.

EDIT: Not getting better. Mission four has default loadouts, so the bombers don't come with any bombs (and the Myrmidons have Tornados months before they exist!) and no apparent provision for killing both NTF corvettes plus the cruiser and saving both friendly ones. It just sat there not doing anything for five minutes after the last NTF guy died. Jumping out I got a partial success and it says I killed one enemy corvette. Well, that's not true, I killed both! And saved both GTVA ones!

EDIT THE SECOND: And now it gives me the mission successful debrief and the AWOL debrief at the same time for mission 5. (And again with the Tornados!)

Don't get to clsoe to the transports. Hit them from the distance andwhen thier hull gets very low bug out - the station will take care of it.

As far as the Subach goes - I don't know whay they don't worky by you as I havn't toughed them.

It appears that I have made a mistake in mission 4 loadouts - there shouldn't be tornados in there nad the bombers should start with bombs.
The bomber thing is easily solved as you can manually eqip them before you launch.

Strange that you managed to destry both enemy corvettes. Evidently a SEXP didn't trigger properly (even stranger since it worked fine by me). You should be able to kill one enemy corvette - the oter will get the guardian status if it's HP get too low.
Both friendly corvette will depart if severely damaged, but one of them can stil lget destroyed as I (deliberately) set the departure trehold to very low.

thanks for your feedback - I'll fix these mistakes as soon as I can :D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 02:26:40 am by TrashMan »

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Remember nothing?

It would make quite a DOG fight? :lol:

The Huan is even a FENRIS!!!
Yes,a DOG fight!!!

All those problems you're reporting seem to come from wrong settings,not 'cause of Flames O' War.

TrashMan:What's th eBologna near your nick?When I saw it,I thought you were italian...
I like Nietzche too.I've read only Zarathustra for now.
Uncle Albert is my idol!
JRRT too...
We have many things in common,dood.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
TrashMan:What's th eBologna near your nick?When I saw it,I thought you were italian...
I like Nietzche too.I've read only Zarathustra for now.
Uncle Albert is my idol!
JRRT too...
We have many things in common,dood.

Bologna? Oh that's the title given to a forum member by the admins. I have no clue why they chose that and frankly it makes no sense... whatever..

It looks like we do have many things in common :D (alltough I wouldn't say I'm a fan of Nitzche. I read only some small snippets of his stuff)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I'm not a fan of Nietzche too,I prefer Schopenhauer.
Bologna is an Italian city,but I don't know its translation.Milano is Milan,Roma is Rome,Bologna is ???
Then:
http://www.comune.bologna.it/
http://www.unibo.it/
http://www.google.it/url?q=http://maps.google.it/maps%3Foi%3Deu_map%26q%3DBologna%26hl%3Dit&sa=X&oi=eu_map&ct=title&sig=__VuNwGV-xb0ZeJcIRRLIZTSqGwpc=

The Lightblue Ribbon

I thought I fixed that. You should get the jump out directive if the cargo is destroyed or has departed.

Even without it just jump out when the Zhidov departs - the mission will end properly.

#1. All the freighters ran away so some cargo was left behind permanently.

#2. The Zhidov never jumped out, even when my wingmates and I whittled it down to 1% integrity.

Also, the Ulmo's didn't work. Probably just a random error.... actually I think I just figured out why they didn't work. :D Never mind then!
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards

Bologna is an Italian city,but I don't know its translation.Milano is Milan,Roma is Rome,Bologna is ???

It's Bologna in english too, afaik.

The translation becomes a sausage type of sandwich meat. but in english, italian words have different meanings, like salami is no longer sausage, but its own kind of meat product.

his title is from animaniac's opening sond.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

#1. All the freighters ran away so some cargo was left behind permanently.

#2. The Zhidov never jumped out, even when my wingmates and I whittled it down to 1% integrity.

Also, the Ulmo's didn't work. Probably just a random error.... actually I think I just figured out why they didn't work. :D Never mind then!

Strange...Your freighters run away but the NTF freighters come to pick up the cargo. Unles you destroyed them, they would dock with the cargo and jump out.

Or the Zhidov will destroy the cargo.. I'll take a look at it and put an updated mission file tomorrow.

Or the Zhidov will destroy the cargo.. I'll take a look at it and put an updated mission file tomorrow.

Oh yeah,

#3. The Zhidov never fired a shot... of any kind.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Where should I put nameplates textures? Into the maps folder? Im building a .vp file from that so I can upload it here if u want.  :nod:
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yes, maps.

And sheesh, releasing a campaign without putting it in a VP is sooooo 2001. ;)

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Yes, maps.

And sheesh, releasing a campaign without putting it in a VP is sooooo 2001. ;)

Well, I forgot how to work with VP make, and nothing will be overwritten anyway. I do plan to make a VP's for hte final release.

EDIT: MissionFIx.rar uploaded on the sam link. It should fix all the problems mentioned so far.

B.t.w. - anyone managed to complete the bonus objective in the first mission? ;7

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Here is the .vp file, mission fix and nameplates included. Enjoy!  :yes:
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.