Author Topic: BSG Season 3 premier.  (Read 46764 times)

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
It'll be on in 45 minutes here!  Finally us in Canada watching SPACE can see it at roughly the same time as you guys in the states.

It hasn't aired in Canada yet? Sweet! Due to my lack of a television, I actually saw it before the people who do have one. Suckers! See, it pays to be poor and backwards

Offline Axem

Ha. I wasn't paying attention to SPACE at all and thought we'd have to wait another 6 months, so I snatched it via alternate means already. Oh well. ;)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
one thing youre missing about battlestar iraqtica is that its our guys that are being the insurgents the the tosters being the occupying force. role reversals make good tv.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Anyone half-intelligent already figured that out. The rest are harping about "Noez suicide-bombingz have beens around since forevarz".

The only reason that suicide bombings were made a core of these few episodes is because a tangent needs to be drawn in contemporary war tactics when the viewer needs to decide who is doing stuff that's acceptable, as in, who's "good" and who's "bad" and where the line gets blurred. And the best way to do that is using something that most of the viewer base will be familiar with, such as suicide bombings.

Much like torture of Boomer and Gaius' blond woman was a key point to paint Pegasus' tactics/morals when torture was a hot topic in the news.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Just finished watching it and........holy ****. I really didn't see some of this stuff happening, especially Lee being a fat ass. It was kind of interesting to see Adama come down on him, don't want to make that guy angry.

With the suicide bombing part, it only made me think of one thing: Iraq. I guess we shouldn't be surprised that they would find a way to made that a theme in this show. Damn, they seem to have just about everything here.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Important question for you all: Does anyone know what music they have playing at the beggining, right after the intro. The chanting, Middle-Eastern sounding stuff. Jesus, I love that, but I've checked the BSG Wiki and they don't mention it. In fact, does anyone even know what the genre is properly called?

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
I assume it was written for the show. It'll probably be on the Season 3 soundtrack, whenever that's released.
"Mais est-ce qu'il ne vient jamais à l'idée de ces gens-là que je peux être 'artificiel' par nature?"  --Maurice Ravel

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the suicide bombing in Season 1......

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Exactly.

I personally loved the episode, although I got pissed at the even more unresolved new plot lines. Oh well, we'll see what happens. Truly a thriller episode though :D

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Season 3 takes it up right where it left in its awesomeness.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Important question for you all: Does anyone know what music they have playing at the beggining, right after the intro. The chanting, Middle-Eastern sounding stuff. Jesus, I love that, but I've checked the BSG Wiki and they don't mention it. In fact, does anyone even know what the genre is properly called?
All the music is done by Bear McCreary for the TV show.  There are soundtrack CD's (for Season 1 and 2) available from the record company website: http://www.lalalandrecords.com/

The sequence played at the beginning is an amalgum of themes we've heard before but not together.  He does great work...and no there is no genre name for this music aside from soundtrack.  Its very worldly.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
It's also being whored by a lot of music directors in various movies and games.

Hell, Harry Gregson Williams adopted one of these scores for the impending Guns of the Patriots.

Also, this genre of course has a name and falls under a specific category, but I was never such a middle eastern enthusiast to actually remember what the name of the category really was. I have vague memory of my father listening to **** like this when I was a kid, but it's been a long seventeen years since, so I can't remember the name.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Maybe not even Bear knows what the genre he's producing is.  In the official BSG magazine they interview him...he says his only direction was to bring in as many influences as possible...worldly.  So thats why we have alot of middle eastern but also asian, classical european, and so forth.  There's alot in there.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
Yeah, I was told that the lyrics are all taken from verses of the Upanishads.
"Mais est-ce qu'il ne vient jamais à l'idée de ces gens-là que je peux être 'artificiel' par nature?"  --Maurice Ravel

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
There's alot in there.

There's no doubt that he stole from a lot of sources, everyone does that, but the prevalent sound piece I'm sure has a category.

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
It doesn't have to. The variations from piece to piece in instrumentation, mode, texture and meter really do place his work all over the cultural map. You'll probably find stuff like quarter tones in the vocalization against a western symphony orchestra. Music in this day and age doesn't have to have a genre. The classification system can't keep up with it.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
While that's true and I agree, I still believe things do fall under the more general categories when they sound similar to the pieces of music within the same group.

This, as mangled and "worldly" as it is, is not indistinguishable from the genre the sound actually does come from.

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
I guess that's why provincial white people coined the term "world music"-- to describe anything "ethnic".

Anyway, I'm listening to the piece to which Rictor was referring, (from the first act of the episode on scifi.com). I can't call myself an expert but it sounds to me like the piece is using the harmonic Phrygian mode. It's that gorgeous raised third that sends shivers up your spine and immediately makes you think "Middle Eastern". I've never actually tried to find a whole CD of music like this, but my guess would be that you should look for more modern interpretations of Arabic music. (More traditional Arabic music uses that weird-ass tonal system that's beautiful in its own way, but a little more alien to western ears accustomed to the diatonic scale.)

Or that could be totally misguided advice. I dunno.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Everything is more or less fine in hte new BGS series...except for Cylons..they suck..big time.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Everything is more or less fine in hte new BGS series...except for Cylons..they suck..big time.

:jaw: