Author Topic: Kals "Why Battlefield Is Dying" Review/Rant.  (Read 9709 times)

Offline redmenace

Re: Kals "Why Battlefield Is Dying" Review/Rant.
2142?
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
Yep. The amount of destruction I've wrought in a 24-hour period is ridiculous. I like the features they added for customizing your equipment set. And fighting on future, post-apocalyptic battlefields is just cool. Titan mode is also fun but it's hard.
"Mais est-ce qu'il ne vient jamais à l'idée de ces gens-là que je peux être 'artificiel' par nature?"  --Maurice Ravel

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Do you not get the feeling it's more of a mod than a full game though? Don't get me wrong - I'm glad you like it...

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
I've heard it go both ways, which means I still can't justify spending the money..
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
Do you not get the feeling it's more of a mod than a full game though? Don't get me wrong - I'm glad you like it...
Well it has a similar feel in that it's the same engine, but I think it's definitely a far cry from just being BF2 Redux. I guess I'm not quite sure how radically different people were expecting BF2142 to be; all the Battlefield games have had a similar format, after all. And BF2's engine is great for this kind of large-scale strategic warfare, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
"Mais est-ce qu'il ne vient jamais à l'idée de ces gens-là que je peux être 'artificiel' par nature?"  --Maurice Ravel

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
That's the trouble though... I think it is broken.

I will say one thing for it, in 2142 they radically reduced the loading times whilst apparently increasing engine detail. Shame they didn't include that in a BF2 patch as the loading times for that are terrible.

But I'm seeing them put things like the Titan mode in, but the Planet Battlefield forums are awash with people complaining that moving the Titans (or even walking around on them) causes massive lag.

I can't help but feel they're in need of a new engine that doesn't suffer from lag, glitches, easy exploits and so on. I don't get the impression they've fixed much between BF2 and BF2142.

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
Well they'll keep on patching it, I guess. I've never found that exploits detract a great deal from the overall game experience. You get a few jerk-offs using them but I've never seen an exploit that noticeably altered the dynamics of the game. (With that said, I only play a few games.) As for Titan mode, I can only speak from my experience, which is that it gets some lag, but not usually massive amounts. I certainly agree that the engine isn't the smoothest ever crafted, but if the game itself is something that I really like, I'm usually very forgiving. I guess I'm basically a fanboi for the franchise.

Offline redmenace

lol can't wait to see political ads in bf2142
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
I haven't seen any of these infamous ads yet. I wonder if it takes time for it to extrapolate on the information it gathers.

But yeah, political ads would be hilarious. "What? Hilary Clinton approves this message? UH! MEDIC!"

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
lol can't wait to see political ads in bf2142
It's ruin gameplay, that's for sure. Whenever one appears, everyone'll stop what they're doing and shoot at it.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
As long as we're making up games...

I've always wanted to see a series of games - an RTS, an FPS And a Flight/space sim that all integrated together. Not just with similar storylines, or three perspectives on the smae comflict but truly integrated together. For example, imagine if in Starcraft you could build your base, set up your army and go and attack the enemy base, but instead of doing it from the standard SC perspective, you could jump into the cockpit of a wraith and actualkly take part in the attack directly.

You'd have three separate games, of course, so that you didn't get the sort of "Jack of all trades master of none" syndrome you get with games like universal combat, and each game would be playable as an independent game (in this mode it'd be more or less three perspectives on the same war). But if the game detected that you had one or both of the other games installed, they started integrating together. Trying to infiltrate an enemy base as a spy but can't get past a watchtower? Don't sneak around for hours and hours looking for a way through - just load up the RTS And send a squadron of fighters to perform an air strike, and then load up the flight sim to take part in that air strike. Or forget about the watchtower and send a squad of marines to create a diversion at the other end of the base and just mosey on past while the guys in the watchtower are looking the other way. Or maybe you're playing the space sim and you've been guarding a convoy of ships going to set up a new military base on another planet. Protect 90% of the convoy, save your game, load the RTS and get 90% of the resources you would have had if you'd saved the entire convoy.

Of course, no matter how hard you tried to reuse sounds and textures it'd be a massive RAM hog and trying to have three separate games loaded at once would probably mean massive loading times when you switched between game modes but wow... I doubt I'd ever play another game.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Meh... why have the integration unless you have integration? I'd rather make one game capable of all that, and do it properly. The few genre-mixing games I've played (Battlezone 1 & 2, mainly, although I'd count Hostile Waters in there too, and I'm sure there's something obvious I'm forgetting to mention) were quite fun to play, and benefitted more from the integration than they lost in not being specialized. And FPSes are commonly including "vehicular mode" or however they term it, let's not forget.

While we're on the subject, here's a few games I'd love to see as mash-ups: ;)

- SimCity 4 and Midtown Madness (or SC4 and GTA2?) - this was done decades ago both in Streets of SimCity and in SimCopter, but not very well.
- Freespace & a Voyager Elite Force-esque FPS
- X-Wing / TIE Fighter & Jedi Knight
- Ground Control 2, Battlezone, & FarCry
- A 4X game (MOO, GalCiv2) & various kinds of space sims, from trading to combat to MMORPGs.

Basically there's 2 kinds of game mash-ups I'd like to see. The logical ones, where you can hop into a fighter, fly off to the enemy capship, board, and race through the corridors (already done to a minimal extent in SW Battlefront 2) - basically, encompassing the entire realm of likely actions a soldier would take. The other kind would be the creative kind (like the SC4 & MM2 combo), where you're not playing any one role, but instead, using something you create in one game style (city building, galactic-empire building) for another purpose entirely (racing, GTAing, corporation-building).
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 09:49:54 pm by Sandwich »
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
I've always wanted to see a series of games - an RTS, an FPS And a Flight/space sim that all integrated together. Not just with similar storylines, or three perspectives on the smae comflict but truly integrated together. For example, imagine if in Starcraft you could build your base, set up your army and go and attack the enemy base, but instead of doing it from the standard SC perspective, you could jump into the cockpit of a wraith and actualkly take part in the attack directly.

It's called Urban Assault, a Microsoft game from 98
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport