Author Topic: Halo 3 Thread of Great Justice  (Read 13882 times)

Re: Halo 3 Thread of Great Justice
The Covenant and Flood beating the hell out of each other in Keyes, coupled with Cortana's comment: "The Covenant battlenet is complete chaos!" gave me that impression quite easily enough. Besides which: the Marines weren't doing all that much fighting by that point in the game. In the novel they are preparing to storm the Truth and Reconciliation, not randomly fighting/dying all over the ring.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
No bots will come to H3. that will be all. WHAT!!! :( But the games have always had AI ripe for good bots!

:lol: How lazy is that!
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
The Covenant and Flood beating the hell out of each other in Keyes, coupled with Cortana's comment: "The Covenant battlenet is complete chaos!" gave me that impression quite easily enough. Besides which: the Marines weren't doing all that much fighting by that point in the game. In the novel they are preparing to storm the Truth and Reconciliation, not randomly fighting/dying all over the ring.

See what I mean?  In the novel.  My point exactly.  All I want to know is that the marines are a) fighting b) preparing to fight or c) dead.  It's surely not much to ask for.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I'm gonna have to agree with aldo - pretty much every answer that people have given as to what the marines were doing have involved the words "in", "the", and "novel" at some point in time - just because the story is explained in some third party book, doesn't mean that its absence in the game is excusable.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
The book isn't considered 3rd party.

Offline Roanoke

I didn't find the multiple trips through the canyons at all tedious. I mean, the initial trip (Assualt on the Control Room) was all about fighting the Convenant with a big portion in the tank, later it was making your way through the fighting Covenant and Flood on the look out for Banshees.

I quite like it when a game takes you through a familiar area but when in a different situation, such as the Metroid Prime 2 Dark and light worlds, Zelda Light and Dark worlds etc

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
The book isn't considered 3rd party.

It is to the game.  I mean, if you watch a movie, you don't expect to need to read a book to get (what I would say is) fairly important scene setting info.  Why does this apply to a game?

I didn't find the multiple trips through the canyons at all tedious. I mean, the initial trip (Assualt on the Control Room) was all about fighting the Convenant with a big portion in the tank, later it was making your way through the fighting Covenant and Flood on the look out for Banshees.

I quite like it when a game takes you through a familiar area but when in a different situation, such as the Metroid Prime 2 Dark and light worlds, Zelda Light and Dark worlds etc

Albiet Zelda Light and Dark were different in fairly quantifiable ways... they had twisted landmarks, for one thing.  Mirrored darkly, but not repeated.  Halo did use it sometimes to good effect - like revisiting the Pillar of Autumn - but when it game to flat corriders and (due to the limitations of the technology) plain canyons and landscapes, retracing your steps was, for me, astonishingly tedious.  It's doubly a shame because the game did have it's moments of lovely art design and setpieces, and if they'd carried through that standard with continuous originality, it'd have been ace.

I guess, though, it probably depends how much you like the base gameplay.... I tended to play it to 'see more' rather than finding the shooting particularly inspiring (because I'd played the likes of CoD before) - if you find Halos' weapons, shooty action, etc enthralling it's probably far more fun than I found it.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
The brilliant and dynamic AI (esp. on Legendary) is what kept me going.

Offline Iron Wolf

• Shzam!
The brilliant and dynamic AI (esp. on Legendary) is what kept me going.

See, it made me want to kill mysef after the 32193237324912nd time I died.
Come on now, be honest. Wouldn't you all rather listen to your hairdressers than Hercules? Or Horatius? Or Orpheus? All those old bores! people so lofty they sound as if they s**t marble! - Mozart, Amadeus

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
*agrees with Iron Wolf again* Yea, that AI was just obscenely hard. And then listening to all the dumb nuts bragging about their exploits on Legendary and the like at school was just the icing on the cake.

Offline Iron Wolf

• Shzam!
*agrees with Iron Wolf again*

That's got to stop happening...  ;)
Come on now, be honest. Wouldn't you all rather listen to your hairdressers than Hercules? Or Horatius? Or Orpheus? All those old bores! people so lofty they sound as if they s**t marble! - Mozart, Amadeus

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Well, then turn it down to normal. :p

It's mostly a matter of anticipating the enemies' moves.

*agrees with Iron Wolf again* Yea, that AI was just obscenely hard. And then listening to all the dumb nuts bragging about their exploits on Legendary and the like at school was just the icing on the cake.

Legendary is nowhere near as hard as people say it is... like DeepBlue said, anticipate the enemy. Also, remember: needlers are your friends!  :nod:
Plasma Pistols too. Can't tell you how many Legendary Elite kills I've gotten with those things. :cool:
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Plasma Pistols too. Can't tell you how many Legendary Elite kills I've gotten with those things. :cool:

Those, and point blank sniper shots worked well for me.
Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Hahah. As useless as needlers were in multiplayer, they were damn efficient elite dispatching tools.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain

See what I mean?  In the novel.  My point exactly.  All I want to know is that the marines are a) fighting b) preparing to fight or c) dead.  It's surely not much to ask for.

You mean like at the start of silent cartographer or the helmet-chip playback via the Chiefs implants?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It'd be nice to have some idea what the Marines were doing, though.  Even just a few errant 'aah, we're ****ed' radio transmissions would be nice.  A sense that outside the now-dated-looking canyons and narrow playspaces where was some sort of fight going on.

Except that during the time that fighting would have been going on you would have been stuck in The Library, out of contact with your marines. The sheer number of humanoid flood you meet after that should be enough of a clue as to the grizzly end the marines had met.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Iron Wolf

• Shzam!
The sheer number of humanoid flood you meet after that should be enough of a clue as to the grizzly end the marines had met.

They got pwned by a Grizzly?   ;)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You'd better have more than a pistol handy when you come across Flood that were bears before infection let me tell you.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline At

• Eklektikon
Crap, I guess Colbert was right about them, all along...
Does there exist a StarFox Mod?  Yes!  Check out Shadows of Lylat!

That thing…its just too persistant.

Sadhal thought to himself in between his pants. After a few seconds, his breathing came under control, and the pain subsided. Sadhal couldn’t help but feel a significant amount of fear and apprehension.