Author Topic: Any Good PC horror games?  (Read 9940 times)

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Re: Any Good PC horror games?
I enjoyed all of the Resident Evil games, even the old awful looking ones (for their time, they were quite enjoyable). The first set (1-Code Veronica) could get pretty freaky in some places; RE:4 was more action paced rather than creepy, it's still fantastic and I'm looking forward to the next installment. If you haven't played through these, I'd recommend at least the RE:1 remake, and even RE:CV despite its old, dreamcast graphics. I think they ported it to the PS2 and Gamecube even.
I am a revolutionary.

Code Veronica's graphics look pretty decent even now - much better than some contemporary PC games IMO. For me it was the best RE game (though I've only played 2, 3 and 4).

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Res 1 remake, whoa, i wont even play that.............
Why the hell not?

Res 1 scared me stupid when i was a young teen, What year was it when it released originally?  The Gamecube remake is just too crisp, and moody, and atmospheric and spooky................*hides under deks whimpering*
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
System Shock 2 and Silent Hill 2 mess with your mind like nothing else I've ever come across. Anything else you play will unfortunately be inferior. That said give Call of Cthulhu a try. It's hit and miss but when it hits it hits you between the eyes with a baseball bat. Be warned though, it's extremely difficult. You will need a walkthrough. You will die a lot. You will get frustrated with it.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
And you will break your shin, from a 4 foot drop..........
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

System Shock 2 and Silent Hill 2 mess with your mind like nothing else I've ever come across. Anything else you play will unfortunately be inferior. That said give Call of Cthulhu a try. It's hit and miss but when it hits it hits you between the eyes with a baseball bat. Be warned though, it's extremely difficult. You will need a walkthrough. You will die a lot. You will get frustrated with it.

I dunno... haven't played silent hill 2, SS2 was more stressful, always hunting for ammo.... Undying had some extremely freaking moments (the writing on the wall, the view of the monastry through the pond). 

LOL actually the first jump out of the seat scare moment was when i first encountered a Quake fiend.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Shamblers FTW.........
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Ferret

• A very hungry Fiona.
7th Guest.

Also definitely Alone In The Dark.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
A good horror game? Any Silent Hill is a start. There's a few been made, like Clyve Barker's Jericho (it looks promising, templars from hell! ;7) and Alan Wake.

You know, I didn't care as much for the second Silent Hill as I did the first one.  The plot was too much psychological analysis and "Oh it's on fire cause she was molested, SYMBOLISM" and not enough "OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODWHATTHEHELLISTHAT?".  Didn't care much for the third one either, but that was more because they included instant death traps <> fun.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Right, because the first game didn't rely on symbolism at all. Nuh-uh.

The reason the second game is generally considered the best is because it took emphasis away from the (rather boring, frankly) cult and focused its story on the characters. Silent Hill was never about shock value.

Use it, yes.  Rely on it, maybe.  Hit you with bad psychological symbolism like a goddamned episode of Dr. Phil tied to a 2x4 the way the second one did?  Not even close.

The first used it's symbolism with subtelty, and it's plot left large portions unexplained - perfect in a game not about shock value, but the atmosphere of fear of the unknown (thus the fog and darkness).  The second felt the need for in-your-face exposition about how the monsters were manufactured by the characters own psyche - of course, it never bothered to touch on how the hell their psyche's managed to manifest anything, let alone walking freudian symbols with giant swords, because that would've taken the focus away from the characters (or rather, their rather one dimensional past agonies) and back onto the fact that some majorly weird **** is going on.

Perhaps the original's lack of exposition was more a function of technological limitations and not intentional - frankly, I don't care.  Intentional or not, the lack of clarity in the plot perfectly mirrored the game's tone of 'something in the darkness, hard to tell what'.  The second lacked that, and lacked it big time.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 05:48:29 pm by phatosealpha »

Offline aRaven

Vampire: Bloodlines is pretty scary for me. At most the Hotel mission and the 2-handed monsters ^^

Offline brozozo

• Used to be d3r3k.
    • MySpace
Vampire: Bloodlines is pretty scary for me. At most the Hotel mission and the 2-handed monsters ^^

The hotel mission was creepy to the max. I highly recommend Vampire: Bloodlines to anyone looking for a good time.

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
Bloodlines, disappointed me because no other mission past the hotel really spooked me out!  I had a feel of when I felt playing SS2 for the first time during that mission..  Sadly, nothing else really did it for me.  It was a fun playthough, even though it was incredibly easy.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
[non pc]

Scariest game from my youth was ghostbusters on master system, (under ten years old i mean) That music..................

*tremb;les*

btw Silent Hill 1 wasn't subtle, there was just no plot........... :p
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
SH1 was great but I felt SH2 was more adult, frightneing, and depressing in that order. I loved the symbolism too. The one dimensional characters I saw as characters trapped by their own particular problems. I got one of the bad endings too which also helped as it seemed more appropriate ;).
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
of course, it never bothered to touch on how the hell their psyche's managed to manifest anything, let alone walking freudian symbols with giant swords
Wait. So you applaud the first game's ambiguity, but disparage the second one for it? They did essentially the same thing in the first game, anyway; all the 'weird ****' that happens in the town during SH1 is directly related to a particular character's psychological (and physical) suffering. You're right to some extent about SH2's heavy-handed symbolism, although I disagree about the exposition--there's a lot of problems with the game's dialogue, but unnecessary exposition isn't really one of them.

There's something to be said for SH1's subtle obscurity, but I didn't find the game especially scary, not at least when compared with the second or third parts. Still: one of the strong points of the series, I think, is that each Silent Hill is different from the others. They tell entirely different kinds of stories with different horror styles, and that's probably why the fan base is so divided on which one is the best.

What I'd really like to see, though, is an entry that focuses on the town itself. SH1 is the closest any of them have come to it, but even that was more of an introduction to the cult and the game's mythology than anything else.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
2's best for one reason, here it is..........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_Head
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Pyramid Head is awesome, but I think he's gotten more than a little overrated.

...Besides, Walter Sullivan is far cooler.