Author Topic: NWN 2  (Read 6098 times)

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Neverwinter Nights 2 comes out tomorrow and I'm surprised there haven't been any threads about it. Personally, the first NWN is one of my favorite games ever and I'll definitely be picking this up sometime (not sure when I'll get around to playing :nervous:). So is anyone else excited about this?
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Whee! Obsidian rocks! I'll definately try to pick it up after classes.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Mathwiz6

• Pees numbers
I'll try (not sure when i'll get around to paying  :nervous::lol:

Maybe I'll wait for the reviews as well.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I guess this is the problem with not buying PC mags anymore. I had no idea it was coming out! I'll be getting it though. NWN was a fantastic game.

Offline Zuljin

• Cake!
I liked NWN well enough. I just wish it would have a stronger single player aspect. Now I realize NWN was always geared towards playing with friends online, but still.. Having a decent single player part is good too. Which is why I still prefer Baldurs Gate II over NWN :p

That said, I'm looking forward to trying this :)

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
buy me a new compy and the answer is "yes, I'll buy it".

as it stands, me compy is too old :(
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
just checked my pre-order of the collectors edition on play and its been dispatched! were as the normal game isnt due out till the 3rd Nov in uk weird!  :confused:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

I'll be buying it at the weekend. And hoping it won't chug on my laptop ;)

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Preordered it a while ago, waiting for my Limited Edition Box to arrive :p
NwN was indeed a great game, I have high hopes for the second one aswell.
Habeeb it...

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
I heard that the right-click radial menu thing from NWN 1 is gone, so I'm already a little disappointed.
EDIT: Nevermind, now I'm hearing it's still in, just not round anymore. w/e.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 08:54:56 pm by redsniper »

Hard Light Productions:

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
Overall NWN2 is more of the game I expected NWN1 to be so far.

It does seem that the writers did a good job with the "let's start uber-generic so that any idiot can follow the plot, but then build up into something quite a bit more complex."
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
In a way that's a good thing even for me - who did play through NWN.

My main problem is that I was never into DnD or table-top RPGs so when it comes to choosing a charachter I do find the options quite confusing. Yes I realise that higher strength generally means stronger hits and so on - if as with Oblivion I've been trying to work out how to make a Battle Mage and want to make sure I get it right first time (as the idea of redoing the storyline with pretty much the same charachter can be a bit boring).

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
For me the character creation is the best part of the game. I remember how I often spent hours of making a good team in Icewind Dale II. First plan it on some piece of paper. You neede to have a good mix of spellcasters, healers and tanks. And the tanks had to be able to slash things to pieces, as well as to batter those nasty crystal golems with a club. And you had to have different races so you could get all sidequests perfectly completed. And so on...

In NWN it was far more simple since there was only one dude to create. But it was even more critical. Usually a red dragon sorcerer or a certain dual rapier wilding clone of a famous Drow. Just female (because some of the portraits were quite pretty and I liked watching them, but the male ones weren't so appealing).
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I liked NWN's plot but could never stand it's desperately desiring to be multiplayer-only, and then its not accomodating multiplayer properly in its expansions. The whole thing was horribly, annoyingly schizoid.

Of course, it's somewhat academic since I no longer purchase D20-based products. It's against my religion.

* ngtm1r waves Palladium Books flag.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
mine just arrived!!!! WOW you get quite a bundle for the collectors edition, the first game and 2 exp packs, artwork and music cd, map, figurine and a ring(which just fits) oh and the game of course, which disk should i try!!  :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
In a way that's a good thing even for me - who did play through NWN.

My main problem is that I was never into DnD or table-top RPGs so when it comes to choosing a charachter I do find the options quite confusing. Yes I realise that higher strength generally means stronger hits and so on - if as with Oblivion I've been trying to work out how to make a Battle Mage and want to make sure I get it right first time (as the idea of redoing the storyline with pretty much the same charachter can be a bit boring).

My first character right now is an eldritch knight. Unfortunately it means tons of feats wasted on things like armor and weapon specialization but being able to close in and deal touch spells without dying is worth it. (especially since you gain a fighter-style attack bonus while ignoring armor ;) )

I liked NWN's plot but could never stand it's desperately desiring to be multiplayer-only, and then its not accomodating multiplayer properly in its expansions. The whole thing was horribly, annoyingly schizoid.

Of course, it's somewhat academic since I no longer purchase D20-based products. It's against my religion.

* ngtm1r waves Palladium Books flag.

Yeah, the reason for that was the overwhelming demand for the expansions to be single-player centric. (thus Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark being a completely seperate campaign from the main NWN one along with the official fan module that connects the two) The content packs released afterwards were definately focused for both the multiplayer and singleplayer word builders. (who doesn't like new scripts and monsters?)
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

I've been playing it since I got in... very good to the most part, but there are some infuriating issues with the UI that are seriously getting in the way. The quickbar is next to useless apart from with spells, and the inventory is ghastly. You can't tell what your items are any more because all the icons are generic but tarted up with silly glows. Even at release the NWN1 systems were pretty much flawless, so it's disappointing. The combat animations look a bit artificial and it doesn't feel anywhere near as "smooth" as its predecessor. I'm sure most of these niggles will be fixed eventually though.

On the good side, the story so far seems on par with BG, the graphics are generally nice and the use of shaders for spell effects is awesome. The characters are rather well fleshed out and the interaction between them is very reminiscent of Black Isle's past work.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Grrr... Best Buy was sold out. And that was a fairly long bike ride too...

Hard Light Productions:

Offline brozozo

• Used to be d3r3k.
    • MySpace
I'm a big fan of the various DnD games, but NWN1 really let me down. I got pretty far into the game (chapter 3 outta 4), and I would have finished it, but my savegame got corrupted. I was just getting to the good part too. I got through all those damn FedEx quests.

What really made me post this was an ad that claimed NWN1 was the best RPG of all time. **** that ****. I suppose if you ignore every other RPG ever made, you could claim it was true.

Offline Mathwiz6

• Pees numbers
Uhhh... you never exported your character, or got the doubled saves, or anything? Wheh, bad luck...

Now that I played pen and paper D&D, I have a better understanding of how the game works :D