Author Topic: Have any of you guys emailed [V]?  (Read 13370 times)

Have any of you guys emailed [V]?
I know that someone must have, but I did a forum search and it turned up nothing. There's a few interesting questions they could probably answer.

1. Did [V] ever do any preliminary work (concept art, etc.) on FS 2 < x < 4?
2.  Do they really have a storyline for the whole series or are they just letting out cryptic, meaningless comments like "Shivans are part of a bigger problem" and making it up as they go along?
3. What's the point in the EULA you-may-copy-the-disk loophole? Was it intentional?

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Re: Have any of you guys emailed [V]?
Yes and no.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Why do people iinsist on driving a wedge into the scar that waiting for *FS2 +1* left in my heart, and then pour a barrel of salt into it?  :(

PERMA-BAN,

although, to have :v: 's survivors e-mail addy would be nice for me to have......  *subtle hint*
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I really like looking at FS1 concept art. I've read the FSRefBible many times to see how FS could have turned up. I also like watching old, scrapped cutscenes, like there was one in ST that had 'TFA' in the background, which could've been the original name for the GTA. I also think it's interesting about the original plans for FS1. If you look at the splash screen of FS1Demo, it claims there was a branching storyline. Too bad that never happend.

Volition is, thus far, down and out as far as we are concerned...... no FS2*2-1

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Some members of the Forum are in semi-regular contact with the [v] team, indeed, on very rare occasions, members of the Freespace team have posted on here. They are perfectly aware of what we want, and they've made it clear that they would like to look at the series again, but as things stand, it's impossible.

Emailing them again won't change that.

Edit : Actually, by 'we' I mean 'some people', no offence to [v] but I rather like the fact it's all open ended, I wonder how long this community would have lasted if it the story had been concluded?

I'm not asking you guys to revive the FS series. My questions where,
1. Did [V] ever do any preliminary work (concept art, etc.) on FS 2 < x < 4?
2.  Do they really have a storyline for the whole series or are they just letting out cryptic, meaningless comments like "Shivans are part of a bigger problem" and making it up as they go along?
3. What's the point in the EULA you-may-copy-the-disk loophole? Was it intentional?

Did anyone ever ask about those things?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
1: No, all we know is that they would like ships the size of planets.
2: Apparently, according to those who met the [v] team, yes, there was a complete story.
3: Not sure, could have been anything from a printing error to a safety net, either way, it's legal.

There may have been concept sketches made for the next episode, but if [v] are still hanging onto the hope of being allowed near the series again, we are highly unlikely to see them.

the one question I'd have for :v: is what the story line would be like. Inferno is, IMHO, the expanse of the FS2 storyline...

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

I hope they don't. There's too much creative juice floating around these forums for an "official" storyline or ship design to do any good.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Volition is, thus far, down and out as far as we are concerned...... no FS2*2-1

You know, I honestly don't get this attitude. What is wrong with [V][ at the moment except that they're making games for the console. Everything they've ever done as a company (with the possible exception of Summoner, which I never played and thus can't comment on) has followed the "Gameplay over Graphics" mantra that is repeated here by everyone except Deepblue. They do one thing well, and that polish, innovate or somehow improve the gaming experience.

In FS1 and especially FS2 they combined all the best aspects of older Space Sim franchises (X-Wing series, WC) and made Kick arse space sims that brought nothing truly new, but were just awesome to play.

In Red Faction they implemented Geo Mod which, as divisive as it is in terms of its usefulness and true impact, was at least an attempt to bring something truly new to the (even back then) largely stagnant FPS genre.

Summoner I can't comment on from personal experience though as I understand it received generally positive reviews.

Saints Row, again, I've not played, but the reviews I've read say that it's essentially to GTA style games what FS2 was to Wing Commander, X Wing etc. - nothing new or truly innovative, but what's there is done really well.

So, essentially, V has stuck to its roots, and made a bunch of solid games that have sold well enough that they can be fairlyu sure they're not going to get stuck with the next Olsen Twins or Britney Spears game to ensure profits. THQ seems to trust them enough, and I recall comments from Dave B that say THQ still give them a fair degree of freedom in terms of what projects they want to pursue.

Moreover, AFAIK, large chunks of the FS crew are still at V (certainly Dave B and Mike Kulas still are, and I think Adam Pletcher as well), and the motivation to continue the FS series is still there. With the possibler exception of their console centric approach of recent years, there's absolutely nothing wrong at [V]s end in terms of any future FS games. The real problem is now and probably always will be the rights to do the thing.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

last time I check, Volition was bankrupt. That's what I meant by "down and out"...

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

Ten posts in a minute... this thread is getting hit like crazy.

Offline Shade

I think you mean Interplay, not Volition. Volition is doing fine.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

And one more question- is FS3 the end of the series? Will there be a 4,5,6,7? Or a prequel trilogy?  8) :yes:

Offline Mathwiz6

• Pees numbers
Lol, prequel trilogy?

456, then 123?

Interplay's site is still so funny...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I'm not sure I want an FS3, largely for the same reason I don't want a System Shock 3... another game would just ruin the atmosphere.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Although it is HIGHLY doubtful there will ever be a FS3, it'd be best for it to be released when the community is on it's last leg.  That is, if the game should even be made at all.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

*In an attempt to save this thread from the dreaded "FS3" Syndrome, Dark Hunter changes the subject*

Have any :v: guys played user-made campaigns? And if they've responded, what did they think?
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Baranec just told me he wants everyone with a post count below 2000 to send him an email asking him about FS3.

In all seriousness, I think he'd die from his IQ dropping to below 0 after reading all of your thoughts. How many god damn times have we had threads with topics such as these? People need to be shot.