Author Topic: Gears of War  (Read 9038 times)

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Hmmm. I've been holding off so far, but... I wonder how the (soon-to-be) wife will feel about a 360 turning up on the front doorstep... :nervous:
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline redmenace

It depends, maybe you talk to her about it ahead of time...
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Inquisitor

Coop over Live. Ibid. There is no significant difference between SP, split screen coop and XBL coop. Not in gameplay, not in gfx.

Its fantastic.

The cover system, oncey you get used to it and figure out how to quickly recover (no pun intended) from any accidental cover uses, makes the game. Blind fire kills are visceral, god help me affairs too. there are some 4 or 5 core "cover actions" that provide more than enough tactical variety. I ALMOST don;t miss being able to crouch (properly) or go prone. The firefights turn into real furballs.

As much as I dislike Epic, they win. This is an awesome game. I'll let you guys know how versus multi is, but all accounts so far are: Its awesome in the same, visceral, way.

No signature.

Offline Roanoke

I miss Halo Co-Op (albeit off-line)  :sigh:

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
Hmmm. I've been holding off so far, but... I wonder how the (soon-to-be) wife will feel about a 360 turning up on the front doorstep... :nervous:

you'd prolly haveta pry the damn thing out of her hands so you can get a go  :p
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=484325

^

Possibly a bad way of getting the wife to accept such a prospect.

EDIT: Why is the posting borked right now?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 01:15:33 am by Deepblue »

Offline Inquisitor

If you miss Halo coop, you have to give this a shot.

Split screen doesn't support vertical split, which is wierd, but they must have done that intentionally for field of view issues. Its not like Battlefront II, then again, it is at 1080i not 420p...

I got stuck on a checkpoint, controller throwing frustration, and I invited a friend into my game (over Xbox Live) from the load screen and got past it, and played through the next act of the game. Its as good if not better witha friend.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 12:35:44 pm by Inquisitor »
No signature.

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
I don't own a 360, and don't plan to anytime soon, but I have to say the commercial they've been running for this is one of the most memorable game ads I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf2i6Zpktzs
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
God I hate that song.

They used to run it in conjunction with a ****ty TV series preview here every god damn commercial break between any TV show that was on at that moment. The song reminds me of the ****ty TV series, and they've played the song over and over so many times I detest it.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
And now for something completely different.

There's a tram driving around Helsinki painted in Gears of War livery... :lol:

Here's also a crappy phone camera picture of it. :D
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Now THAT'S a commercial. Money well spent.

Offline starfox

Cool Tram !
I really need to see that, the next times I visit the Capital...
 :yes:
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline Inquisitor

Traded a bunch of stuff in and got Call of Duty 3.

We'll see if its as awesome as GoW...

I doubt it, but CoD makes for some damn fine shooting...
No signature.

Offline Roanoke

I got stuck on a checkpoint, controller throwing frustration, and I invited a friend into my game (over Xbox Live) from the load screen and got past it, and played through the next act of the game. Its as good if not better witha friend.

we'd usually get bored mid-mission and after a while go for each other instead....

Offline Inquisitor

Play versus mode then.
No signature.

Offline Inquisitor

Just finished it (yeah, I know, everyone else finished it a week ago, sue me). the story is decent, and delivered well. Good actors make all the difference. And while they leave room for sequels, its not a cliffhanger per se. If you are gonna tease me with a sequel, do it this way. Not Hal2 cliffhanger, no resolved story and wait 4 years for the conclusion.

Sometimes, the control scheme DOES get in the way, you really have to get adept at using the A button, or you will stuck, and then you will get killed. Usually by a Beserker. Some of hte segments are unsually hard, even on Casual, requiring multiple attempts. I am not sure this is a bad thing, and its not insurmountable if you have patience, or better yet a friend.

Which brings me to coop. Holy **** did Epic hit it out of the park with coop support. I get stuck? Call a friend, pickup RIGHT where I am stuck, then, because its so much fun, continue to play coop. Its seemless. Its excellent. Its the benchmark for all XBL coop games, and a HUGE smack in the head for developers who make shooters like this and don't include coop. I think coop absolutely makes this title. You feel as though you are fighting, and even better when you are fighting WITH a buddy.

I rarely want to play shooters again, and NEVER on a higher difficulty. I want to do both with Gears. With a friend. And then again on Insane (casual->Hardcore->Insane).

If you have a 360, buy this game. If you don't have a 360, get a friend with one and buy this game ;)
No signature.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
It's due out (eventually) on PC as Halo was & Halo 2 will be, which offers another option :)

Offline Inquisitor

Old interview. Interesting to go back and compre what he said with what the reality was :)

You PC guys might get Gears, but I suspect you'll wait as long as you are for Halo 2.
No signature.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Old interview. Interesting to go back and compre what he said with what the reality was :)

You PC guys might get Gears, but I suspect you'll wait as long as you are for Halo 2.

Well, there was a recent 'leak' via a 'Games for Windows' promo kiosk picture which shown the GoW box next to the likes of Halo 2, Zoo Tycoon, etc.  Which was sort of a confirmation of that interview.

Offline Inquisitor

They also accidentally had GoW logos on the Live demos download splash, that actually turned out to be a mistake :)

Here's to hoping fory ou guys though, I love/d the game :)
No signature.