Author Topic: First Ps3 review  (Read 13088 times)

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
That's because they needed more space to squeeze all that cool into... ;)

it's more likely the PS3's power supply "brick" is internal rather than the external one the 360 currently utilises.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
At any rate, judging by this, the launch was a failure.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/top/foreigners-and-fights-ps3-jpn-launchs-dark-side-214130.php
I guess MS really hit on something when they had a silent launch last year.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Oh, that's rich. :lol:

Sony has just become the asshats of the gaming community.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill

it's more likely the PS3's power supply "brick" is internal rather than the external one the 360 currently utilises.

Well, funnilly enough, the 360 actually has quite a lot of room inside the case. They could feasibly fit the PSU in their when they switch to the 65nm process without causing too many heat problems.

Offline brozozo

• Used to be d3r3k.
    • MySpace

Well, funnilly enough, the 360 actually has quite a lot of room inside the case. They could feasibly fit the PSU in their when they switch to the 65nm process without causing too many heat problems.

When are they going  to make the switch? Sometime in 2007, right?

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Wait, the PS3 released?

Wow, ok, I'm out of it.

EDIT: And  :lol: ness at that article.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 10:05:39 am by Unknown Target »

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Speaking of PS3 related ****, anyone hear that PS3 games are going to sell for $90 US?

IIRC it's been confirmed PS3 and Xbox 360 games will share the same RRP.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
This is however, very promising.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/os/install-multiple-os-on-the-ps3-214203.php

Not having to chip it is one thing, but actually getting it to play 360 games and such.

If this works out and remains in any form, just ****ing wow.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
3rd parties at least. Most (and I say most because Gears and Forza are notable exceptions) Microsoft published games sell for $50 new.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
3rd parties at least. Most (and I say most because Gears and Forza are notable exceptions) Microsoft published games sell for $50 new.

AFAIK MS hasn't published any actual triple-A titles for a while now outside of Gears of War....

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
I have some friends that are going to camp out in line starting Wednesday for the Friday release.  :blah:
I am a revolutionary.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Hmm, one thing I have to say about that article I posted before.

After seeing some of the comments, I have to admit, I was tracking two other stores selling the console, who had the same crowds outside, and there were no problems like these.

The problem was that the store was unprepared, not that Sony did something wrong.

I loved this comment.

Yeah, this is all Sony's fault. How DARE they produce a console that people want? Why can't they be like socially-responsible Microsoft, who create a system that no one in Japan would ever buy. Or like Nintendo, who're able to churn out a million systems a day because they're using outdated technology that's probably worth about $20 in parts?

Damn you Sony. Damn you.

Hopefully they've learned their lesson and will develop less desirable hardware next time.

Also, Sony are responsible for the Iraq War. It's a fact. I saw it on some guy's blog.

Not having to chip it is one thing, but actually getting it to play 360 games and such.

It won't. The architecture differences between the Cell and Xenon processors alone mean that one can't run 360 games on the PS3 natively, and emulating even the smallest portions of code have enormous performance implications. Not to mention the futility of emulating multi-core enabled games on a single core processor (the SPEs on the PS3 aren't nearly comparable to extra PPC cores).

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

It won't. The architecture differences between the Cell and Xenon processors alone mean that one can't run 360 games on the PS3 natively, and emulating even the smallest portions of code have enormous performance implications. Not to mention the futility of emulating multi-core enabled games on a single core processor (the SPEs on the PS3 aren't nearly comparable to extra PPC cores).

Not forgetting the different system level architecture, too; both have different memory setups, the Epic devs were saying that they didn't think GoW would be doable on PS3 (which is split into 256 PPU and 256 GPU RAM blocks, whereas the 360 IIRC has 512 which can be 'freely' allocated)

Offline brozozo

• Used to be d3r3k.
    • MySpace

I was aware of that, it's said that Sony will kind of make a solution for this when they later give updates revisions for the PS3 bios/firmware. The PS2 has or used to has the same problem when running PS1 games, just look at how the Japanese PS2 Bios says "Playstation Driver v1.00" and the PS2 Slim is using the "Playstation Driver v1.11"

Many people is asking to PS2 emu developers if they plan to port their PS2 emu to the PS3, a lot argued why would you need a PS2 emu on a PS3 while it natively supports PS2, but it seems to be not 100% true.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 06:41:52 pm by Shadow0000 »

Offline Inquisitor

Or not.

I love it when people predict the future. I need me one of those crystal balls where everything works out for the fanboy who is using it :)
No signature.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I think there was at one point the suggesting of bunging, in effect, the PS2 hardware (on a chip) into the PS3 and thus overriding the need for (much) software emulation, but that was - ! - too expensive.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Someone will be able to flash/flex/patch the PS3 bios i've no doubt.......
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Someone will be able to flash/flex/patch the PS3 bios i've no doubt.......

Of course, although I'd wager you only need to update the OS.