Author Topic: Problems  (Read 4252 times)

Hi, I'm new to the TBP games and i been having trouble with the game.
 I installed 3.2 on my brand-spanking new Windows XP computer, Raider Wars, EMW war, MDF, Tale of EA Janus. The only campaign that works is the Raider wars. EMW, MDF has been installed and they dont show up on the campagin screen. Tale of EA janus shows up on the campaign screen but doesnt work, the game stops running and i have to shut down my computer.

Any ideas why?

I could really use help!
Thanks guys
We Live for the One
We DIE for the One

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
EMW, MDF has been installed and they dont show up on the campagin screen. Tale of EA janus shows up on the campaign screen but doesnt work, the game stops running and i have to shut down my computer.

MDF is not a campaign of it's own - it features a storyline but no campaign file which would made it show up in the campaign room; so try the mission simulator accessable via the tech room

Tale of EAS Janus is still in version which was created back for release 2; a lot has changed since then and campaign file and some of the missions are now incompatible to the current release (but be sure I'm personnally trying to fix it up... please look at the following link*)

regarding EMW I can only take a good guess -- but it could be that you have placed it into the wrong subfolder(s)...
please be sure that the file "B5-C-sp-EMW01-missions-2_0.vp" is in your TBP main folder (where the other .vps are supposed to be too)

* http://www.tbp.relichost.net/forum/index.php?topic=25.0
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

The only thing that shows up in my campagin screen is Earth-Minbari War Demo and Raider Wars. Tale of EA Janus does show up but when i click on contiune to play the game, the game stops working.

What about the Mars Defense Force?
We Live for the One
We DIE for the One

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
EAS Janos was a pretty good campaign. Unfortunately Miburo vanished a while ago. Last time I spoke to him was March 2005.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

So im stuck on Tale of EA Janus, meaning i cant play it?
We Live for the One
We DIE for the One

How do I make the game work on my computer?

Any other ideas?
We Live for the One
We DIE for the One

Offline 0rph3u5

So im stuck on Tale of EA Janus, meaning i cant play it?

yep - until it gets updated
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline -Norbert-

Since Raiderwars works the problem can't be the game itself.
Have you tried re-downloading the campaigns that don't work, maybe the downlaods where corrupted.

And what is MDF?

Another thing you could try, would be using another exe file from here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/board,97.0.html

Edit:
I just noticed that you wrote you have 3.2 installed.
You should install the 3.3 patch (sticky thread).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 04:15:50 pm by -Norbert- »

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
It wouldn't be too difficult a job for someone to get these campaigns working again. Anyone who's interested in spending time updating old campaigns to work with TBP 3.4 get in touch with me.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

would the game engine help? 3.6.9?
We Live for the One
We DIE for the One

Offline -Norbert-

Maybe.
Just try it out. The 3.6.9dot9x package is only some 6,5 MB big, so it shouldn't be a problem even for a 56k user.

And if you then get error messages when starting the game, stop by the "biuld 3.5.9?"-thread for the solution.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Orpheus, you're working on bringing the Janus campaign to 3.4, right ?
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline 0rph3u5

Orpheus, you're working on bringing the Janus campaign to 3.4, right ?

yes and I made a good progress so far - but some mission have to be totally redone as well as the backgrounds and the old campaign file

==================

I dont know if i said this or not but i use a WIndows XP and Mac OS X, 10.4.6. How can i make the Babylon Project work on the mac?
Also i dont know how to do all that binary stuff so if someone has a program that makes the game work on the mac pls tell me
We Live for the One
We DIE for the One

Offline -Norbert-

If you'll get help for Mac anywhere, it's probably in the SCP/Cross platform development forum --> http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/board,113.0.html

Offline Centrixo

im getting problems within the game, the game freezes for a minute or so then get a error come up.

the objective in red, i always experiment if you cant win the damn situation no matter how hard you try..
Would you like to have a piece of duct tape shoved up your arse? - 'Duct Tape man', Derelict.

"You never know what your going to find until you take a look" - Snipes, Fs2.

Terwin Castronenves:"Centrixo, your car is slow, bye bye" *zoom*.
Centrixo:*sigh!* Damn!.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Which version of FS2_Open were you using?

Offline Centrixo

latest, there should be no reason for this error.
Would you like to have a piece of duct tape shoved up your arse? - 'Duct Tape man', Derelict.

"You never know what your going to find until you take a look" - Snipes, Fs2.

Terwin Castronenves:"Centrixo, your car is slow, bye bye" *zoom*.
Centrixo:*sigh!* Damn!.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Check the errorlog.txt in your TBP folder, maybe there's some useful information in there. If not, try using a build that came with TBP 3.3a (one of the 3.6.7 branch) and see if the problems still occur. This looks not like a TBP-specific error.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
You'll get that error on null and wild pointer problems. Both of those are code errors rather than TBP specific ones although a poor installation can also cause them.

Run the debug build and see what it says.