Author Topic: Error trying to run Freespace2  (Read 7991 times)

Error trying to run Freespace2
Hi

When I try to play the game, I get the following error:

Error: Unrecogzined command line parameter -jpgtga
File:H:\_FS2_DEV\3 VPK\code\Cmdline\cmdline.cpp
Line: 393

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
    FS2.exe 004f9a06()
    FS2.exe 004f9b79()
    FS2.exe 0040910d()
    FS2.exe 00409232()
    FS2.exe 005ec635()
    kernel32.dll 7c816fd7()
------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there something I can do to correct this?

Thanks!!

Vivienne

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Re: Error trying to run Freespace2
woah.

Did you rename the .exe, or did you not download FreeSpace Open?
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I have some inquiries to ask you:

Are you using the SCP?

If so, what build?

What media VPs?

What features?

Now, with all that aside, disable the -jpgtga feature and try again.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Looks like you're trying to use SCP features on the retail build. Get a version of the FS2_open executables from the source code forum below here and try again.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Looks like you're trying to use SCP features on the retail build. Get a version of the FS2_open executables from the source code forum below here and try again.

Installer is easier. See link in my sig.
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Hi

Thanks very much for your responses. I must tell you that I do not really know how to answer them. I shall give you some details and maybe then you can give me more simplified help. I downloaded and installed the following using Utorrent:

[TBox]_fs2scp369-mods.zip.torrent

[TBox]_fs2scpfullpackv15c_Shivansps.zip.torrent

This was supposed to be a surprise for my 15 year old grandson when he comes to visit.

I ran the program from freespace2.exe.

I do not know anything about the following:

"Are you using the SCP?

If so, what build?

What media VPs?

What features?"

I cannot find the -jpgtga feature and I do not know what or why I am to install the FS2_open executables.

As you can see I am so new to this and have no idea how to answer you. Please can you walk me through this problem?

Thank you!!!

Vivienne

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
This was supposed to be a surprise for my 15 year old grandson when he comes to visit.

I wish my Grandparents would get me FreeSpace..... or even knew how to use Bit torrent.

First, download this  and this.

Once you run those files, you should be ready to go.

You should run a file called fs2_open_3_6_9.exe to see if everything is working.

Oh, and make sure your grandson knows about this site. We're all very helpful people.  :)

Hi Turey

The files are on something called Oxyshare. Is that a program like uTorrent? (I shall investigate it tomorrow as it's past my bedtime now. 11:15 pm. )

I shall certainly tell my grandson about this site and I heartily agree that this group is most helpful, knowledgeable, patient and kind. :-)

Thanks very much. I'll try to figure out Oxyshare!

Vivienne

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Instead of using Oxyshare, you can get that file from here instead:
ftp://213.48.38.123/
username and password are both "hardlight"

you want FS2_SCP_full_pack 1.8 Update.exe

you'll still need to get this file as well.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You should update as the files you've been linked to fix a lot of problems but the main error was simply running Freespace2.exe instead of launcher.exe :)

You have to qualify as the coolest grandparent ever BTW :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Hi Turey

Instead of using Oxyshare, you can get that file from here instead:

Thank you!!!!! I have downloaded both. I am guessing that I do not need to uninstall what I have already. First I update with 1.8 and then with 1.9, right?

Thanks so very much, Turey!! You have been *so* very helpful!

You should update as the files you've been linked to fix a lot of problems but the main error was simply running Freespace2.exe instead of launcher.exe :)

Karajorma: I did run launcher first and it found the video card for me. I perhaps did something else wrong.

You have to qualify as the coolest grandparent ever BTW :D

You're so nice!!! Thank you. I can't wait to tell my grandson about this Forum. I am sure he would love it and fit right in.

Thanks again.

Vivienne

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
From the error message I can spot a possible problems actually. They should all be fixed by the updates though so no need to go into it too heavily (You're correct that they just install on top of what you already have).

There are actually two launchers though. One for the original game (On the left) and  one for the SCP (on the right).

The error you got can be caused by running the SCP launcher to set up (if it's an old version which I believe it is in the torrent) and then running the standard FS2 launcher or simply clicking on the FS2.exe.  If you always go through the SCP launcher and make sure that it's pointing at the 3.6.9 exe you should be fine.

karajorma:

The error you got can be caused by running the SCP launcher to set up (if it's an old version which I believe it is in the torrent) and then running the standard FS2 launcher or simply clicking on the FS2.exe.  If you always go through the SCP launcher and make sure that it's pointing at the 3.6.9 exe you should be fine.

Thank you! You've explained it so well!! You are right - I used the wrong one. I ran it from the one on the left! Now I have hope again. :-) I am going to do the updates and will let you know how I did. :-)

Thanks loads!!!

Vivienne

Turey! Karajorma! :-)

I did it!!! It works. The only glitch is: When I run it, I get sound and a dark screen. If I hit escape, then everything looks good. :-) That's not hard to live with if that is the way it is supposed to be.

Is there somewhere that I can download a manual ? It does not look to me as though it is self explanatory.

Do I also need a joystick for him ? Can it be played satisfactorily without one?

This is so exciting!!!! :-)

Thank you both so very much!!!

Vivienne

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The blackscreen issue is caused by having the avi versions of the cutscene rather than the superior MVE ones. When ShivanSPS compiled his package the avi versions were all that would play. This has now been fixed so if someone has a link to the MVE versions I'd suggest getting that.

In the meantime the problem you're getting is due to having DivX Toolbar active. You can turn this off from your startmenu if I remember correctly but according to Taylor (The coder responsible for the movie code) the very latest version of FS2_Open should fix that problem as well. You can get it here. Again simply replace your current build with this one.

The manual can be obtained from the Home of the Underdogs FS2 page. (I could have sworn I had it available via my FAQ but if it is, I buried it so deep I can't find it now :D )

As for needing a joystick there you enter the kind of question that causes multi-page discussions. :) The game is playable using mouse, keyboard or joystick. Which works best generally ends up in a long discussion :)

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
if someone has a link to the MVE versions I'd suggest getting that.

I'll have them up by this time tomorrow.

Karajorma: Turey:

The blackscreen issue is caused by having the avi versions of the cutscene rather than the superior MVE ones. When ShivanSPS compiled his package the avi versions were all that would play. This has now been fixed so if someone has a link to the MVE versions I'd suggest getting that.

I just noticed that  Turey said he would have them up by tomorrow.  Turey - will you tell me where I should look for them?
Does this mean that I don't have to do anything about DivX or install the latest version of FS2_Open? Or should I be doing that anyway?

Thanks very much for the Manual url. I have downloaded it.

Karajorma: I noticed your website and went to it. I must say that I am so impressed!! You have put in so much effort and are so free in sharing your in depth knowledge. That is so very nice of you!! Thank you for that, as well.

Turey: And thank you, also, for being so wonderful!! I wouldn't have this program without you guys and that's for sure. :-)

Vivienne

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
You should install the new build anyway. For a start you'll need it if you want to play online :) Even if you don't, it fixes a lot of bugs.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Turey - will you tell me where I should look for them?

I'm still uploading them, but once they're up, I'll be sure to tell you.

Karjorama:

You should install the new build anyway. For a start you'll need it if you want to play online :) Even if you don't, it fixes a lot of bugs.

Okay, I did this. Should I change the launcher to point to fs2_open_3_6_9-7dot9x.exe instead of  3.6.9 exe ?

Quote from: Turey
I'm still uploading them, but once they're up, I'll be sure to tell you.

Man, you guys are nice!! :-) :-)

Vivienne