Author Topic: Interplay to create Fallout MMO.  (Read 6586 times)

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Interplay to create Fallout MMO.
http://www.destructoid.com/fallout-mmo-interplay-says-yes--28559.phtml

While Bethesda scooped up the rights to a true Fallout sequel, Interplay, the original publishers of Fallout, managed to hang on to the rights to make a Fallout MMO, and according to this SEC filing, they intend to do just that, and very soon.

Maybe you should, I dunno...pay your employees, get out of debt or set up a decent website before embarking on mutli-year multi-million dollar adventures to compete against the most popular PC game in the world.

I'm baffled and amused by this, as I'm sure many others are as well. I mean, what can you say? It's so absurd, it defies arguement.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Re: Interplay to create Fallout MMO.
I wouldn't count on it being good considering the budget.

Offline Rictor

I wouldn't count on it having, say, graphics, considering the budget. Or an installer. Or a loading screen. Or any levels. Or interactivity. Or gameplay.

It'll just be a picture taped top a monitor, while the picture will be of a level created using the original Doom engine by the night janitor on his 15-minute break.

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
If you've read thier mission statement, they decided to re-align themselves in the MMO world...  Of course Fallout would be the title of choice, and with backing from ANOTHER developer or publisher, you MIGHT just be surprised.  Though I'm not holding my breath....

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
why MMO's?

oh right, making money has become more important than making good games.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Rictor

Bethesda bought the rights to Fallout but Interplay retained the right to make a Fallout MM0. So they're taking the MMORPG route because that's all they can do.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
you mean instead of coming up with something new? creative? worth playing?
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
They're bankrupt, remember?

Gotta work with what you have at hand.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Online Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
...a cardboard box and scraps from the local McDonald's dumpster? :p

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
And yet you all forget that they can get funding from other studios and publishers, akin to how independent filmakers get funding from other producers to make thier films.  Interplay alone will not be able to do this, but partner up with a big company who's willing to take a risk and bank on a franchise to make money (sadly, yes, it's all about the money today) and you could be heading back into the black.  One of two things will happen from this, either Interplay will be "reborn", or they will finally be finished and wiped clean from the market.  Part of me hopes that they'll make it, and yet, most of my feelings wish interplay would die like pac-man.  Just implode on itself until there's nothing left. 

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
****, I suppose if people are still injecting cash into Phantom, it's not that shocking Interplay think they can get funding.

After all, it's not as if MMORPGs have a high failure rate, is it?

Ah.

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
Move the corporation to Korea, let them be assimilated by NCSoft, and be done with it.  The reason why I'd like to see Interplay fold is that the IP rights to several titles would probably be sold, instead of hanging in limbo forever, and be put to good use. 

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
****, I suppose if people are still injecting cash into Phantom, it's not that shocking Interplay think they can get funding.

actually, no, they've seem to have changed direction. they're supposedly doing some online content delivery system now.
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

actually, no, they've seem to have changed direction. they're supposedly doing some online content delivery system now.

The company has also renamed itself to 'Phantom'.

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de

The company has also renamed itself to 'Phantom'.

but do they fight crime?
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
I'm a fan of Fallout, but not a fan of MMOs. *sigh*
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Cabbie

why MMO's?

oh right, making money has become more important than making good games.

Well thats the bottom line philosophy of most game companies.  But usually good games bring in the money right? RIGHT?!!  :(

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I'm a fan of Fallout, but not a fan of MMOs. *sigh*

s'alright, I believe Bethseda own the rights and are making a 3rd installment; IIRC Interplay sold them on the condition of keeping the MMO rights for the brand (confusingly) for exactly this project.

Offline Centrixo

i hope interplay comes back.
they have done alot of good games.
Would you like to have a piece of duct tape shoved up your arse? - 'Duct Tape man', Derelict.

"You never know what your going to find until you take a look" - Snipes, Fs2.

Terwin Castronenves:"Centrixo, your car is slow, bye bye" *zoom*.
Centrixo:*sigh!* Damn!.

wow... what I've dreamed for long COULD become true ! :eek2: