Author Topic: "I'm out to shut down Rockstar" guess who!  (Read 4426 times)

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
"I'm out to shut down Rockstar" guess who!
Don't who if you guys heard this or if it has been posted, avent found anything, but i found this posted on PCZones website today, http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=152376

It's no secret that Jack Thompson doesn't like games (at all) and he's recently been caught airing his views on one of those US talk/news shows Nightline on December 13. And he wasted no time in getting straight to his point.

"I'm out to shut down Rockstar because they're run by a bunch of sociopaths and they're a one company crime wave," he told US talk show Nightline in an interview you check out on the wonder that is YouTube.

During a demo of his least favourite game GTA, Thompson explained that "you're literally stomping someone into the pavement, and you can stomp them until there's a pool of blood in the street of the person you've just killed."

If he really thinks that he take out Rockstar he is even bigger fool than i thought, Will he ever learn that Rockstars games are for adults, NOT CHILDREN, it just makes me angry that people blame games for which are for adults only on corrupting children, that these same people let them play them, dose no one realise that if a game is rated 18 it is not for anyone that age! i can remember when GTA san Andreas first came out in my local game shop(i witnessed this) the parents were buying them for their kids, with the kids present, despite age restrictions, Ok now the game's staff by UK law shouldn't have sold them in the first place because it is an offence to sell an age restricted product to a adult knowing that the product will be passed to an minor and is a jailable offence, i can remember sign an act agreeing to this when i worked at HMV. But back to the point Jack Thompson is a complete and utter idiot.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Centrixo

Re: "I'm out to shut down Rockstar" guess who!
they released this in the shops and is legal until conviced otherwise. ovious it passed gaming tests, its not the companies fault that some people want to take this literally :lol:. of course with these laws in the usa with guns as protection. where im going with this could take ages, short version: ww2 happend so there are alot of games out there about ww2 so there are guns and shootings, and they do games about guns and violence. there broadcasting the exact point and hitting the point hard. i dont think this guy will get rockstar sewed the only thing he has are words. and needs real proof if he wants a win. as for US legal proceedings its bias so i would'nt try sewing a game in a US court.
Would you like to have a piece of duct tape shoved up your arse? - 'Duct Tape man', Derelict.

"You never know what your going to find until you take a look" - Snipes, Fs2.

Terwin Castronenves:"Centrixo, your car is slow, bye bye" *zoom*.
Centrixo:*sigh!* Damn!.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I am going to go out and buy and play every single M rated game simply to spite him. I accept no responsibility for any damages done to my mind from these games. I give him full responsibility of my actions, as if he didn't exist, I could not buy every single M rated game to spite him. That proves that this would be entirely his fault, and that this stupidity on my part could have been avoided if he had not been an ass. :p
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 07:20:22 pm by thesizzler »

Offline Centrixo

uh huh, its entirly up to you.
Would you like to have a piece of duct tape shoved up your arse? - 'Duct Tape man', Derelict.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
they released this in the shops and is legal until conviced otherwise. ovious it passed gaming tests, its not the companies fault that some people want to take this literally :lol:. of course with these laws in the usa with guns as protection. where im going with this could take ages, short version: ww2 happend so there are alot of games out there about ww2 so there are guns and shootings, and they do games about guns and violence. there broadcasting the exact point and hitting the point hard. i dont think this guy will get rockstar sewed the only thing he has are words. and needs real proof if he wants a win. as for US legal proceedings its bias so i would'nt try sewing a game in a US court.

Ok, two things:
One: It's "sued" not "sewed".
Two: What did you just say?

He said, "[insert random rant here] [/rant]"

And THAT is what he said!

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
oh no.. it's spreading.....
 :nervous: :( :shaking:

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
I wish him the best of luck, although even the best of luck cannot help him.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Ok, two things:

I believe I can assist.

They released this (game) in the shops, and it's legal until proven otherwise.  Obviously it passed the relevant legal tests (when being certified for sale), it's scarcely the developers fault that some people are misadjusted enough to take it literally.  LOL (apparently).  Of course, in the USA there are more guns thanks to the legality of them there.  Where I'm going about this could take ages (not half), but the gist is; there are a lot of games which feature the violence and indeed guns used in World War 2.  These games are attempting to broadcast the point (display action and consequences in warfare) and hitting that point hard (?).  I don't think this will get Rockstar sued (surely, win when suing Rockstar), all he has is words (er, legal argument is quite often mainly words - surely it's more relevant to highlight the shoddiness of the argument?).  As for suing in the US, I wouldn't try and sue a game in a US court (1st amendment reference?)

Offline Nuclear1

Ok, two things:

I believe I can assist.

They released this (game) in the shops, and it's legal until proven otherwise.  Obviously it passed the relevant legal tests (when being certified for sale), it's scarcely the developers fault that some people are misadjusted enough to take it literally.  LOL (apparently).  Of course, in the USA there are more guns thanks to the legality of them there.  Where I'm going about this could take ages (not half), but the gist is; there are a lot of games which feature the violence and indeed guns used in World War 2.  These games are attempting to broadcast the point (display action and consequences in warfare) and hitting that point hard (?).  I don't think this will get Rockstar sued (surely, win when suing Rockstar), all he has is words (er, legal argument is quite often mainly words - surely it's more relevant to highlight the shoddiness of the argument?).  As for suing in the US, I wouldn't try and sue a game in a US court (1st amendment reference?)

Haha, that whole post just reminded of the Orz from SCII. 

We are *happy campers* who wouldn't to *dance* with Jack Thompson unless Jack Thompson *not happy camper* is.  Then we would *play* with Thompson.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
Jack Thompson's an old fart, i wouldn't expect a person of his attitude to let things go like this..

infact he should be having a go at the parents who are stupid enough to let their little kids play most of rockstar's itinerary.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Jack Thompson's an old fart, i wouldn't expect a person of his attitude to let things go like this..

infact he should be having a go at the parents who are stupid enough to let their little kids play most of rockstar's itinerary.

Nah, because they're the people who pay his wages; parents too lazy and idiotic to raise their kids, and who insist on blaming society for their failures.

Offline Centrixo

i guess a translation from my hard to make out writing to another english, opps :blah:

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!

Nah, because they're the people who pay his wages; parents too lazy and idiotic to raise their kids, and who insist on blaming society for their failures.

go to the supermarket one day, and that truth is fairly evident.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------