Author Topic: Recycled audio  (Read 4394 times)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Have any of you ever noticed the same sound being used in completely different games? This is especially common with explosion sounds and beeps. One example of this is the repair bot selection sound in Deus Ex, which is the same as the Anaconda selection noise in Total Annihilation. One of the vehicle explosion sounds in UT2004 is also identical to the AP mine noise in Red Alert (unused, but it's in the game files). My brother was playing some 360 game a few weeks ago and we both distinctly recognized a beep from the Deus Ex interface, although I can't remember what game it was. There are many other examples I've seen in the past, although I can't seem to remember most of them at the moment.

Recently, I've also noticed this with music in a few places. The ambient sound in Mission Critical on Deck 4, the background audio in a few of the C&C cutscenes (like the deserted village one) and track 26 in MDK2 are all exactly the same. Also, track 9 on the Lemmings Chronicles CD sounds identical to the music in Monkey Island when you're following the storekeeper through the forest.

I am wondering if these sounds are publicly available somewhere, as the developers probably wouldn't use them if there were copyright issues involved.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I've watched an interview with Rand Miller, creator of the Myst series, in which he says that he'll sometimes be watching a random TV show and hear the exact same door-closing sound effect that he used in the original game.  Apparently, a lot of people grab their sounds from the same place...or else all doors sound exactly alike when they close. :p

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
DooM's door closing sound is common, I hear it in quite a few movies and other games.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline DarkShadow-

• Machina Terra
Yeah, recognized many sounds, especially in movies. Weirdest one was hearing the Warcraft 2 dragon sound being used as an explosion sound (don't remember which movie).
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, isn't 'Eureka!' but rather 'hmm....that's funny.'" Isaac Asimov

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
There are certain sounds that are sort of standard, and no one cares that it's the same in every other media to record a new one.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The C&C infantry guy's little deathscream, or one of them, is supposedly very common, but I've only picked up on it four or so times. Mainly in TV commericals.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
I often hear recycled sound effects, especially the original Doom's door sound effects, which were already mentioned.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
I've heard sound effects used in TV shows which aired years before I've heard them in the game, yet I only notice it after playing, for example, Deus Ex, and listening to the opening and closing sounds of doors, then hearing that same close-door sound in the old TV Episode of The X-Files, which would have aired in 94. 

I think it's because sound designers for games and audio directors for movies utilize a gigantic library of pre-recorded sounds, such as the massive, and expensive Sound Forge SFX collection.  They pull from the same library of audio, and by coincidence, the same sounds are used in different TV programs and games of the like.

I've heard the missile tracking noise, and various interface sounds from FS2 used in television commercials, and TV programs as well.  It irks me sometimes that I'm so observant....

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
So such sound libraries do exist. That explains a lot.

About 10 or 15 years ago, this used to be so common that I think just about every game I played shared at least one sound with some other game. I don't notice it as much anymore, but these similarities still pop out at me quite often.

Offline Roanoke

there's a "door opening sound" from Goldeneye that I hear on telly all the time

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/loop_libraries/showloop.asp?SPID=399

And it can alllll be yours for the low low low price of $499 USD!

Offline Ulala

Wowsers.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Roanoke

StarWars3 - Revenge of the Sith. At the start when the General's Cruiser dukes it out with the other fellas (clones, republic ?) and you see the clone gunner get wasted and a clone soldier is kocked toward the camera by the explosion and he makes an "aarghh" noice. Hear that one all the time.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
this is no different that using the fill patterns that come with photoshop really. though i perfer to make my own, il still sometimes use one from the library. i figure sence the pros do it i might as well too.

ive also seen sites where you can buy sound effects for a few cents each. theres so much of this kind of stuff out there i would go as far as saying that some game companies could get away with not having any in house sound engineers. really its no different than using clip art.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
shortly after i had used this piece of free music in a contest winning video, I heard it in a bunch of new crappy commercials...

I swear they stole my music selection...curse them!
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

Offline Harbinger of DOOM

• Three fries short of a Happy Meal.

Holy crap, Sony has to be the DUMBEST corporation ever.

I've watched an interview with Rand Miller, creator of the Myst series, in which he says that he'll sometimes be watching a random TV show and hear the exact same door-closing sound effect that he used in the original game.  Apparently, a lot of people grab their sounds from the same place...or else all doors sound exactly alike when they close. :p
God, I just love Myst (and Riven).
aldo_14 ~ "The ego has landed."
an0n ~ "Wheee, I can spam and no-one will notice!"

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?

Holy crap, Sony has to be the DUMBEST corporation ever.

Why? It's expensive but it looks like it has a lot of sound effects. You probably wouldn't have to buy another set for a long time.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Wilhelm scream FTW! :nod:
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
I re-watched Star Trek V - The Final Frontier the other night and I recognised the cat creatures scream (you know what I mean, the dancer from Paradise City that attacks Kirk when he gains entrance to the bar type place) from something else, although I cannot recall what it was. Anyone know?
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Ulala

I'd rather not discuss anything concerning Star Trek V.  :P
I am a revolutionary.