Author Topic: Ship Designs  (Read 12270 times)

Ok, Here are 2 destroyers and 2 fighters I designed and modeled myself. I was going to post this in the Hard Light Art forum, but thanks to LGM and Snail's complaining, I am posting it here. :lol: The two fighters need a little work, especially the second one. Anyway, here are the ships:

~ This destroyer is fast and heavily armed, but has relatively weak armor.

~ This destroyer is also fast, but has more armor, at the expense of firepower.

~ This fighter has good speed, excellent maneuverability, and light armor.

~ This fighter has average speed, average maneuverability, and good armor.

Any comments, suggestions, or other feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)
3.2 GHz P4
nVidia GeForce 7800
1 gig RAM

Are these actual models? If so, good job, they look balanced enough. If not, good job anyway, and hopefully somebody will pick up the modeling.

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Yes, they are actual models, created with sketchup (though I can export them to just about any format, if necessary.)
3.2 GHz P4
nVidia GeForce 7800
1 gig RAM

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
I used to like to draw "blocky" stuff (and I still do to some extent), but these days I've been getting more into curves and maybe some sharp (but not too sharp) edges.

I like the designs on the blue background, although I'd make the last one more curvy if I could. If not totally curvy, then solid, but without the nasty hard edges that look like they can cut your fingers without a second thought. :shaking:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I agree about the sharpness thing.  That first destroyer looks very Deimos-inspired, but should be more rounded to fit that lineage (if that's what you're going for).  Unfortunately, because of this sharpness, they don't look particularly Terran-Freespacy.  That first fighter looks decidedly alien, but not of any existing FS alien species.  For the other fighter, if the cockpit was reduced in size by about 50%, and the rest made less blocky, it could do as a potential Herc III (yes, I know there's already a Herc3, but who's to say that another mod can't have a different take on its evolution?).  BTW, where's the fighterbays on those destroyers?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

I thought the second one bore more resemblence to an Anteus(sp?) fighter.

The first fighter looks kinda like a pancaked Myrmidon to me.  :D
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Online Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
And why exactly aren't you posting these in the modding forum ? The are quite excellent and deserve a bit more attention.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Because they will be assimilated by the Inferno collective.

They look good enough. ;)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
How about names and stuff?

I like the designs of both destroyers+first fighter. I think the second is intended as an adv Herc-like jeavy assault fighter, right?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The second has too few guns to be a Heavy fighter. It could be Space Superiority.

If not totally curvy, then solid, but without the nasty hard edges that look like they can cut your fingers without a second thought.
  :lol: I kind of like that look. (but not regarding that fighter, I agree that it in particular does need to be more rounded. BUT, for the first fighter, I like it. :mad2: :snipe:

That first destroyer looks very Deimos-inspired, but should be more rounded to fit that lineage (if that's what you're going for).
No... It's not at all related to the Demios in any way, and I don't see much resemblance, except for a somewhat similar overall shape.

Not nescessarily... These ships are not even specifically Freespace ships, let alone Inferno ones. However, I would love to see them in the game. But just because all of my recent ships have been for the Inferno mod (and yes, it is one of, if not my favorite mod), I have never offically joined or even dedicated all my modeling abilities to it.

How about names and stuff?

As for names, they all are unnamed, except the first fighter which untill further notice has simply been dubbed "Dagger", for its razor-sharp edges and thin profile.

The second has too few guns to be a Heavy fighter.

As I said, these are not oficially finished. More guns could be easily added.
3.2 GHz P4
nVidia GeForce 7800
1 gig RAM

Offline Snail

• SC 5

Not nescessarily... These ships are not even specifically Freespace ships, let alone Inferno ones. However, I would love to see them in the game. But just because all of my recent ships have been for the Inferno mod (and yes, it is one of, if not my favorite mod), I have never offically joined or even dedicated all my modeling abilities to it.

Will they be converted? Turreted?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
How about EAI stuff? The war in Sol probably involved many acts of sabotage...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I hate the name EAI. I think it should be more like EI or something.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Earth Intelligence? It reminds me that thread about environmentalists...mah!
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I had an Inferno campaign idea, in which the GTI, who were trapped in Sol, made an ubership so powerful it ****s up the EA and GTVA.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Fortunately it's just an idea(Sorry, but I couldn't resist!)

Which kind of ubership? Like the ones SLICK made?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Snail

• SC 5
No, it was a alternate timeline and the ubership was none other than the Icanus.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Well we don't have modelling abilities. What a pity.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Well we don't have modelling abilities. What a pity.
Neither do I, but it didn't stop me :p :D