Author Topic: What do you want this project to be?  (Read 133939 times)

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Re: What do you want this project to be?
I'd prefer to forget about gungans entirely.  Being as we're looking mostly at the Galactic Civil War timeline, well, the Empire rounded up most alien races and put them into slavery, and maybe the Gungans just "accidentally" got shipped off to the Maw and "accidentally" fell into a black hole and "accidentally" had a real painful death.

Meesa thinks a dis gonna be real bombad time for da gungans
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Meesa thinks a dis gonna be real bombad time for da gungans

Oh man, reading that while getting over a cold is almost lethal.  Damn near coughed up a lung from laughing so hard.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline starlord

and what about later in the star wars timeline?

Wouldn't it be good to try to recreate for instance the 2nd rise of the emperor, with the world devastators and the eclipse super star destroyer? This would be great!

And later still, why not depict the yusaan wong war? etc...

Full of ideas there.

Offline maje

There are no plans to do the Vong War, let alone create ships from the NJO era.  Not currently sure about the Dark Empire saga, though it may be a possibility.
Deuternomy 22:11 explained:

Well there are many different speculations going on about this law about not mixing fibers and at least one explanation claims that it was a symbolic gesture designed to keep a pure sense of culture, people, and religion.  Seperation of crop  in the vinyard, mentioned in Dt. 22:9 and 22:10 seem to reaffirm this idea, though there may be other reasons as well.

And now, an excerpt from the Prayer of Mordecai, the Book of Esther Chapter C (New American Bible Official Catholic version).

Est C:5  You know all things.  You know, O Lord, that it was not out of insolence or pride or desire for fame that I acted thus in not bowing down to the proud Haman.  6  Gladly would I have kissed the soles of his feet for the salvation of Israel.  7  But I acted as I did so as not to place the honor of man above that of God.  I will not bow down to anyone but you, my Lord.  It is not out of pride that I am acting thus.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I don't know if the following questions have been asked before, but...

Are you going to create a soft demo(that requires FS2 to run, of course) with only a few models, textures and tables?

Are you going to complete all models of all eras before releasing the Conversion or you will divide it in episodes, chapters or something like that?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I hope to have a small demo released, and depending on how much file replacement we get done it may or may not require an FS2 install.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
What about the other question? Will you complete of models of all eras first? Are you going to divide the mod in parts?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
As soon as we have enough stuff done for an initial release, we'll have it out, so it will likely only have ships done that are needed for that release.  If we do a fighter combat release, we will likely only have fighters done first.  If we get some of the campaign done, we will have what's needed for the campaign as well.  Other ships from other eras are currently a lower priority than the stuff from the time our campaign is going to focus on.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Something like the Demo of BtRL: a handful of models...that's what I had in mind.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Well, hopefully we have a few more.  I'd like for there to be enough to really allow the community to have something to play with.  Ideally, I'd like to have two to three times the ship count they had, even if it means not getting it to the point of being a standalone release.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Are you going to create multiplayer missions for it? :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Multiplayer is one of the things I'm most concerned with.  If nothing else I plan on creating a simple melee pack myself :)

I have an even larger interest in this now, because my old squadron over at The Rebel Alliance was recently shut down, and integrated into other squads.  So, if we do this right I hope to get it added as a supported game with TRA, and hopefully revive interest in them, enough so to warrant reopening my squadron.  It was sad news when I heard about it being closed, so now I have even more drive to help get this out the door.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Something like the Demo of BtRL: a handful of models...that's what I had in mind.

Umm... AFAIK, BtRL had quite a few models, but only 3 or 4 were used in the campaign.  ...Right?

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Uhm, not that they've released in the demo yet I don't think.  It was pretty much just the ships they used in the campaign.  2 vipers, a drone, a raider (w/ 2 skins I think) and the miner.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hmm... seems you're right.  :doubt:  What was I thinking of?  Maybe the WCS Prologue?  IDK

I serverly doubt if this possible, but can one make planet surface battles? i quite enjoyed the x-wing books, and fly arond coursant would be fun.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
It's something we still hope to entertain at one point, probably once we get someone with planet modeling experience.  SoL has been working on it for quite some time, and I don't want to delay the whole project for that long just for that feature, considering it's not the main focus.

Offline maje

I know that I want to include planetary bases and such, though I'm not sure what kind of coding would be involved to animate Walkers, let alone make sure they stay on the surface and have their movements restricted.
Deuternomy 22:11 explained:

Well there are many different speculations going on about this law about not mixing fibers and at least one explanation claims that it was a symbolic gesture designed to keep a pure sense of culture, people, and religion.  Seperation of crop  in the vinyard, mentioned in Dt. 22:9 and 22:10 seem to reaffirm this idea, though there may be other reasons as well.

And now, an excerpt from the Prayer of Mordecai, the Book of Esther Chapter C (New American Bible Official Catholic version).

Est C:5  You know all things.  You know, O Lord, that it was not out of insolence or pride or desire for fame that I acted thus in not bowing down to the proud Haman.  6  Gladly would I have kissed the soles of his feet for the salvation of Israel.  7  But I acted as I did so as not to place the honor of man above that of God.  I will not bow down to anyone but you, my Lord.  It is not out of pride that I am acting thus.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
The FPS coding that Goober is doing in 3.7.0 coupled with razorjack's coding that he is attempting (if he ever gets any help; :ha: ) should make that possible.

I know that I want to include planetary bases and such, though I'm not sure what kind of coding would be involved to animate Walkers, let alone make sure they stay on the surface and have their movements restricted.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Descent 3 was both a space and planet-side game, where you controlled vehicles on the ground.  The Descent 3 code is all released... perhaps if the SCP coders took a look at that they would gain insight into adding your wish.