Author Topic: Skipping missions  (Read 2117 times)

Due to some unfortunate errors by yours truly, I ended up needing to delete and reinstall FS2.  I used the online installer and everything's working fine now, but naturally I'm back to square one in all the campaigns.  Is there any way to skip ahead to where I was at before the catastrophe?  Jumping out 5 times to skip the mission seems to work, but will I be able to simply do that for 10, 15 missions without a problem?  Is there any other method of doing it? 

Thanks for any input

You could go in to the Tech Room's mission simulator and hit Ctrl-Shift-S, which will "unlock" all the missions in the campaign. You could play through it that way... but that is rather tedious.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Did you not backup your $FREESPACE2$\data\players\single\  folder(s)? :nervous:

If you didn't, it is perhaps possible (as far as I know) to edit the single player files to desired point in a campaign, but I don't know how that's done exactly...
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

I did not back up that file.  I wasn't even aware you could.  I'll definitely keep that in mind in the future, thanks

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Yeah, that's where all the player files go, so if you need to do a complete wipeout of your FS2 installation (which, by the way, shouldn't have been necessary in the first place) but want to save pilot stats, that's the folder you need.

What did you you to FS2 to demand re-installation anyway? I'm curious.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

A few things:

A)  Was using the same Shivan pilot for every campaign.  Didn't know you couldn't.  Creating a new pilot would've been the same as restarting. 

B) Derelict and FSPort had stopped working, they were both giving me useless weapon loadouts that I couldn't change during missions

C)  For some reason Turey's installer was crashing when I tried running the updater.  The installer seemed to be working fine so I just figured I'd start from scratch

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
C)  For some reason Turey's installer was crashing when I tried running the updater.  The installer seemed to be working fine so I just figured I'd start from scratch

When was this?
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
A few things:

A)  Was using the same Shivan pilot for every campaign.  Didn't know you couldn't.  Creating a new pilot would've been the same as restarting. 

B) Derelict and FSPort had stopped working, they were both giving me useless weapon loadouts that I couldn't change during missions

A: It's recommended to make a new pilot for most bigger campaigns using a lot of modifications, or at least clone an old one (then you don't need to set up controls config etc. every time). Usually I just play with old pilot, though, and if I encounter problems I make a new one and restart the campaign. They aren't usually that long.

B: So, just wipe the Derelict and FSPort out of circulation, clean up the root data folder (create backups first, though) and re-install Derelict and FSPort...

The data Freespace 2 retail uses is inside the VP files in the root FS2 folder. They are read-only files for the game's point of view and thus they are not usually corrupted by the game.

In fact, Freespace 2 Open will start to work if three conditions are filled:

1. Retail VP's are in a folder
2. fs2_open_r.exe and Launcher.exe are in the same folder
3. OpenAL is installed.

Fire up the launcher, do some settings if you like and run the game. It runs fine, I just tested it. Obviously, the movies are missing in this configuration, though, but as they are separate files it's easy enough to backup them, too - they reside in data\movies folder (or on some cases in root folder). The game will then set up the root data directory as the game is played - the first directory it creates is data\players\single (or multi, if you create a multiplayer pilot), then as you proceed into missions it will create a cache and so forth. So it's rather easy to "re-install" FS2 without having to re-download everything from the scratch in any case and then be more careful with what to install and where. Every mod to their own mod folder as a general rule.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
If you didn't, it is perhaps possible (as far as I know) to edit the single player files to desired point in a campaign, but I don't know how that's done exactly...

Actually I tend to do the reverse. I simply edit the campaign file until I have one that starts from the desired mission :)

What mission were you actually on AgentBolt?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
I knew I remembered something wrong. I knew there was some way of doing it, but didn't just remember what it was... :lol:

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
There was a tool that allowed you to edit the campaign file for retail so you could do it the way you mentioned but it doesn't work on SCP.

Turey:  This was last night.  I forget what exactly the error message was.  Frankly the installer crashing was the last straw, after that I decided I must've hosed things so badly that letting the installer run overnight was going to be easier than bugging you guys with a million idiotic questions about how to fix it.

Your other suggestions are all excellent, gang, although everything works fine now.  I deleted it all and reinstalled it, and now with seperate pilots for each mod I really don't think I'm going to have any more issues.  It looks like I'll have to play through all the missions again, but is that really so bad?  :)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
There was a tool that allowed you to edit the campaign file for retail so you could do it the way you mentioned but it doesn't work on SCP.

Could you not do it on a retail pilot, then convert him to SCP?
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
It's been so long since I've used a retail pilot that I have no idea how well converting them in mid campaign would work. Might be worth a try but it takes me about as much time to make a new campaign file as it does to edit a pilot anyway. :)