Author Topic: INFA Eyecandy Thread  (Read 134956 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Jesus Christ. Inferno does not need any more models!

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
models... maybe not.

modders, well I would dare to say yes.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I think it's fair to say that Inferno probably has one of the largest collections of exclusive assets around. Locking up even more resources that could be put to better use by the public is IMHO doing a huge disservice to the community.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I think the same way, a modding team should share whatever it's holding, but that's just personal preference.

You can also see it this way: The faster this project is finished, the faster you'll get access to all it's cool content.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I think the same way, a modding team should share whatever it's holding, but that's just personal preference.

You can also see it this way: The faster this project is finished, the faster you'll get access to all it's cool content.
Finish it already then. :P

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Will do of course.

But the more help, the faster it get's done, thus the previous question.

INF is all about making you happy  :nod:
el hombre vicio...

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Snail, there's a difference between creating new models for the sake of expanding a modpack and upgrading old models to bring them to current standards. Many INF ships haven't been touched in years, and I'd try to let someone upgrade them rather than leave them as they are. Ask the BWO developers how much they like to release the campaign without upgrading their models... it's utopian, and perfectly understandable. :rolleyes:

Releasing assets progressively before the official release of the project? It's doable, and the subject is already being discussed. On a side note, the last thing you can say Inferno is that we're draining talent from other important projects... the shortage of modders has forced us to look for them outside the FreeSpace community, and even with some degrees of success. Unfortunately, however, we're not succeeding at recruiting modellers.

Now, back to business. The status update is now readable, so you may wish to take a look at it. Post eventual comments here.

As promised, here's the "special effect" I mentioned a few posts ago. This may and will definitely be used for hostile squadrons as well, but I don't know if INFASA we'll feature epic battles against enemy aces (first, I'd like to know what community members think about the subject). Yeah, I know, the screenshot doesn't feature any Zelos superbombers... the reason is that they're grouped in "Brigades", not in squadrons, and require a slightly different presentation template. So far we have the Talisman Brigade (Martian Republic), the Amulet Brigade (Earther Federation of States) and the Scepter Brigade (Jovian Kingdom)... all of them make use of different OCPs which, among other things, enable use of Ballista subspace missiles for critical strikes.

The Strategic Advisor, or SA, is an important officer in the Martian Republic's Navy. An SA is the tactical "bridge" between squadron leaders and strategists/admirals, and is meant to boost the effectiveness of squadrons in case of war. Among other things, SAs can brief and debrief squadrons and manage their equipment.

Prototype-like cutscene presenting the 36th Blazing Eagles squadron. Please note that the screenshot hasn't been modified: it's an actual image from the game showing a template I created a while ago. Disregard the small squad logo, it's just a placeholder.

In the future, such cutscenes will be used to introduce other important squadrons, friendly and hostile alike. You may even get to see epic battles with enemy aces and other skilled units, so stay tuned!

The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Very cool.  :yes: I'm not really sure this is Inferno any more - more like some kind of Colony AceSpace Wars - but it does look really cool. I admit I'm primarily interested in Inferno to play INFR2 but at this point I'm resigned to it never coming out.

If you're going for a military realism atmosphere it's a bit weird to see a single squadron operating so many types, but hell if it's fun roll with it.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
It's another feature of the Martian Republic: many pilots have been trained to operate in multirole squadrons. Other factions have more specialized pilots.

I'm still a bit unsure about the enemy aces, though. IMHO, they're a powerful storytelling tool but risk becoming a bit unpopular.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Snail, there's a difference between creating new models for the sake of expanding a modpack and upgrading old models to bring them to current standards. Many INF ships haven't been touched in years, and I'd try to let someone upgrade them rather than leave them as they are. Ask the BWO developers how much they like to release the campaign without upgrading their models... it's utopian, and perfectly understandable. :rolleyes:
You cannot deny the fact that over the years Inferno has accumulated a wealth of models. I think the best thing Inferno has done in recent years is donating the Ancient warships to the Ancient-Shivan War project, and I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who would be grateful to see more asset giveaways in the future.

I'm still a bit unsure about the enemy aces, though. IMHO, they're a powerful storytelling tool but risk becoming a bit unpopular.
I think enemy aces are cool.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It's another feature of the Martian Republic: many pilots have been trained to operate in multirole squadrons. Other factions have more specialized pilots.

Do what you want to do. You don't have to crowdsource your mod.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I was the one who proposed to help the ASW team by giving them a load of models. :) We have planned an Ancient campaign, but since it would have drained too much time and ASW seemed promising I had a talk with Woomeister about the subject.

As for the enemy aces: I'm actually asking for opinions. I have experience with such encounters, I FREDded some 10 of them 3 or so years ago (they weren't for INF, though) and actually liked how each squadron employed different tactics in combat.

I'm a bit unsure about messages. Should those aces send message to allies, to sound fearsome and cool?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Aces are fearsome and cool IMO, making them send messages to the enemies like "you are mine, pal"... that would freak me out in battle :D

On the other side, a friendly ace sending messages to allies is ok, but only with limited orders, commander like... still you risk adding a lot of text that might not get even read during mission.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
still you risk adding a lot of text that might not get even read during mission.

That was exactly the problem I experienced in my previous attempts. :nervous:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
that why they need to be cool and fearsome, because:

if it's cool, all it's allies will listen to what he says + if it's fearsome all it's enemies will listen to what he says = less dialogue , more impact.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
A number of messages sent in random order may work, I tried it in the past. Aces will also be harder to kill than regular enemies thanks to advanced AI and new ship classes (e.g., GTF Hercules and GTF Hercules#Ace).

Death messages are quite cool when sent by enemies. The SCP has made that easier to handle. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hades vs Zane idiocy has been split out.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
A number of messages sent in random order may work, I tried it in the past. Aces will also be harder to kill than regular enemies thanks to advanced AI and new ship classes (e.g., GTF Hercules and GTF Hercules#Ace).

You know it occurs to me that I'm not sure there's any reason to use special ship classes for the aces. Unless you want them to have special weapons compatibility or tweak stuff like afterburner capacity and top speed, what can you do there that you couldn't do just as well with a custom AI class?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Yeah custom AI classes make Aces much more fearsome and cool. :D

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
In my previous experience with aces I learned that using advanced AI profiles is helpful, but not sufficient. IMHO, improving maneuverability, shields and energy reserves is necessary to nullify certain weaknesses which tend to make aces too easy to shoot down. Better shields, for example, represent those aces' skills at managing their own shield quadrants.

I'd leave hitpoints as they are because tangible changes in them would become the way too obvious.
The Lightblue Ribbon