Author Topic: How can I view the cockpits from the inside?  (Read 6998 times)

Re: How can I view the cockpits from the inside?
Ah what a shame, :sigh:
 well, here is a new thread ;)

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
HTL Zeus has a cockpit texture with transparent HUD screen, if that's what you mean by "black thing".

In theory, it should be compatible with all previous cockpits... And it kinda is, too. The problem is that none of the pre-Zeus cockpits have HUD screens that are designed to be transparent, so the transparency causes very annoying effects on any of the old fighters. Mainly so that when you look through the HUD, it is transparent all right - but so is your ship behind it. In the bottom of the screen you actually see through your ship's nose, and it's kinda annoying. I suspect that it's because some vertices/polys in the HUD screen criss-cross each other or are too close or have inverted normals or something like that, I dunno.

All the HUD screens should be either fixed to be similar with the ones in HTL Zeus or alternatively be moved away altogether, if the cockpit view is wanted to be widely usable/used.

The problem wouldn't be too bad if it considered only cockpit view, but if any ship with cockpit uses the same texture with HTL Zeus cockpit, the HUD and the ship behind it becomes transparent also from the outside... Which is kinda wrong and evil, you're not supposed to have holes in your spaceship (and much less your body...)
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Can someone move this to the Freespace upgrade project? Since this is a nice upgrade project to do.

I posted relevent info on the Zeta thread but it would probably be best if this thread were to be moved too

Offline Objekt

Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by "viewing cockpits from the inside?"  Some other games (X-Wing, TIE Fighter, X-Wing Alliance, lots of recent flight sims) have a "virtual cockpit" where you can freely move your viewpoint around a realistic 3-D representation of a cockpit, but I don't know that FS has this kind of capability.

Sure would be a neat mod, though.

you know how many of the media vp terren ships has clear cockpits that you can see into.  with the proper command the ship will render in firstperson mode alowing you to see the ship around you. and if the eyepoint is set right. you can see the surrounding ship/cockpit from the first person perspective.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
In any case the HUD screen is un-necessary at the best, since the HUD is obviously situated into the pilot's helmet...
Regarding this, surprisingly enough, the FS1 intro shows the HUD as being displayed on a pop-up translucent screen in the pilot's line of sight, just as it is in modern jetfighters.  I agree that displaying it on the pilot's helmet visor makes far more sense, but that's actually not the case if you go by what we see in the games.

Actualy in more modern jet fighters like the Joint Strike Fighter are begining to  put hud information in pilot helmets.  And for playability issues we cant have have the tranlucent  screen if we are to have visable cockpits as they get in the way as they have a nasty tendancy to be opaque black.  I guess you must consider that when fs1 orrigionaly came out no one dreamed of cockpit hud data being input into a pilots visor.

On the other hand If people could redesign the cockpits to have a translucent screen  and pretend the hud data you are seeing is comming from that screen rather than pasting a fake hud, that gets in the way, on that screen then that would be something else.  However it hasnt been writen in the code to move hud data around so that it could fit on such a screen.  I know the WC Saga project would definatly like to have that ability for there 3d cockpits but that appears to be a long way off. http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,45016.0.html

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
In any case the HUD screen is un-necessary at the best, since the HUD is obviously situated into the pilot's helmet...
Regarding this, surprisingly enough, the FS1 intro shows the HUD as being displayed on a pop-up translucent screen in the pilot's line of sight, just as it is in modern jetfighters.  I agree that displaying it on the pilot's helmet visor makes far more sense, but that's actually not the case if you go by what we see in the games.

If it was displayed in the pilots helmet, then the aiming reticle would be rather useless.

not necessarily. just because the pilots head moves doesn't mean the info displayed has to move with his head.  Were talking advanced technology here :D

Offline Dysko

<Darth, please, don't talk about airplanes. Try to resist, and move to another thread. No... don't do that... NOOOO!!!!!>[/Darth DySkO's brain]
Sorry, but my brain has little influence on me. So:

Israeli Aircraft Industries made a fighter pilot helmet which allowed targeting of enemy fighters even if they aren't directly in front of the fighter, due to the helmet linked to the onboard radar. I know, this doesn't resolve the cannon/laser aiming reticle problem, but at least you could lock a target to fire the missiles.

And AFAIK, the F-35 helmet seems to be having a link to outer cameras, so that when you look at the fuselage you see what lies below the fuselage. This could explain why originally we couldn't see any part of the fighter from the cockpit.

Ok, offtopic finished, sorry for that :nervous:
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by "viewing cockpits from the inside?"  Some other games (X-Wing, TIE Fighter, X-Wing Alliance, lots of recent flight sims) have a "virtual cockpit" where you can freely move your viewpoint around a realistic 3-D representation of a cockpit, but I don't know that FS has this kind of capability.

Sure would be a neat mod, though.

(press the '.' and you get...)

now all we need is that for all fighters with transparent cockpits not just the madusa:)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Hey... isn't [.] change primary weapon?

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Numpad 0/Insert will make it possible to pan the view with mouse - within certain limits, though.

Numpad ,/Del will throw you to external view where the flight controls move camera instead of the ship.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.