Author Topic: Vista be killin' my Freespace  (Read 11402 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Re: Vista be killin' my Freespace
Vista has it's good sides, but also bad sides.

MY experience with it is mixed (and I havn't even tried playing FS2 on it).
Some older programs and games jsut flat out refuse to work, som act incredibly buggy, my wireless doesn't wrok at all (still havn't figured out why) and I got COM Surrogate errors popping out everytime I want to play a music clip.
Vista has gone way overboard with media/music security...

Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline neoterran

com surrogate errors are caused by the incompatible codec pack you installed. Remove it and Use VLC (with opengl output mode so it doesn't break glass) to fix that.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline neoterran

Yeah, it's the usual, microsoft gets blamed for everything no matter what.

Hey there we go, sport, that's the way to win graciously.  I as much as admitted I was wrong to blame Vista (going so far as to apologize to a non-sentient OS), and then commented that the drivers still suck.  Whether driver suckage is Windows or NVidia's fault (I'd have to go with NVidia considering they, well, make them).  Kudos are in order for being so super mature and not at all a dick about it.  You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.     

Is this an attempt at sarcasm ? I don't think I was being rude about it.
Chief Grognard.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Vista has gone way overboard with media/music security...

Why does everyone say that? I've never seen even a hint of digital rights management meddling anywhere. I saw it more with XP and it's media rights system than I have with vista thus far (after about 5 months of use)
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline CaptJosh

Do you use Windows Media Player?
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline neoterran

DRM only affects DRM files. If you don't use DRM files, it's just the same as XP. Vista rocks; if you've got powerful enough hardware (meaning, at least 1 GB of ram, at least a 3 Ghz P4 equivalent level processor, and a DX 9 Video card) it's a much more pleasant and modern experience to windows xp, which is really showing its age.
Chief Grognard.

Offline CaptJosh

How is XP showing its age? Come on man. I can run everything on XP that I might want to run under Vista and I don't need ridiculous numbers of gigs of hard drive space or at least a gig of ram to do it. A gig would be nice, but half a gig does fine. Really, all you get with Vista is some eyecandy and plenty of headaches.
CaptJosh

Offline neoterran

How is XP showing its age? Come on man. I can run everything on XP that I might want to run under Vista and I don't need ridiculous numbers of gigs of hard drive space or at least a gig of ram to do it. A gig would be nice, but half a gig does fine. Really, all you get with Vista is some eyecandy and plenty of headaches.

bunch of simply ignorant statements here. Ridiculous number of gigs ? In this day and age I don't consdier the 15 GB requirement to be a big deal. You also have every version of vista on every install to enable windows anytime upgrade, something that is useful for the consumer. if you still only have a 30 GB hard-drive I suggest you buy a 250 gig one for 60 bucks at the store, because your hard drive is so old it will probably die soon.

As far as ram, last time i checked 512 MB of Ram stick came to about 40 bucks. I would say having 80 bucks worth of the most precious resource your computer has is not asking too much in 2007.

As far as all you get is eyecandy and headaches, I don't think so. Vista has alot more features than xp, is much more secure, and it actually performs better if you know how to set it up.
Chief Grognard.

Offline CaptJosh

A lot more features? Like what? Everything supposedly new that I've seen has been in Mac OS for years now. More secure? Yeah, if you don't mind having to approve or deny almost everything you do. 15 gigs for an OS is INSANE. I don't care what OS it is, or how much hard drive. Why does something that's better have to be bigger? Does nobody at Microsoft ever try to make something work with fewer lines of code? A base Linux install can fit in less than 1 gig of space. Something with a fair amount of capability can be run straight from a CD (Knoppix) without even being installed.
CaptJosh

Offline neoterran

What, did someone chain you to your armchair and force you to watch mac vs pc commercials all day while holding your eyes open clockwork orange style ?

Approving or denying things that affect my computer is something you get used to and you even start to enjoy it because it gives you a chance to cancel out of mistakes you make, and it's not on everything you do, once the initial computer setup is done, it rarely ever occurs. I usually turn off while i'm setting up and then turn it back on.

Both companies steal from each other so you can put that old chestnut to rest, sounds like jealousy to me.

A huge new feature is Media Center 2007. It's in Home Premium. It's awesome, and it's very nice feature. NOT in XP. Also many other things, such as the snipping tool, Windows Calendar, the DVD Maker is handy for newbies, Direct X 10 (will be a must have eventually) Windows Media Player 11, Integrated Windows Search (and it's much better than the bolt on WDS 3.0, trust me) the vastly improved error reporting and messages, the vastly improved explorer, the improved removal of programs, "previous versions"... i could go on and on.

How about this, people that complain about there's not enough features. What features do you want ? What are you missing that is in OS X that is not in Vista ? You never say, you just complain.

Btw, your beloved Mac OS X and Linux have increased in code size for years running. So please don't hold windows to some impossible ideal that makes no sense.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 04:36:09 pm by neoterran »
Chief Grognard.

Offline CaptJosh

Approving and denying things is something I have no interest in. I'm smart enough to not need my computer to second guess me on every damn thing. I don't want to get used to an even more stupid version of Windows Data Execution Prevention, not to mention a firewall that's even more stupid about older games than XP's, which I would just have to shut off anyway, same as I have to do with XP's. Windows Media Center...whoop de doo. An application in which I have precisely zero interest. If I want a Media Center, there's free software that does the same stuff and takes tons less space.

As for what new features, how about making the damn thing more modular. Why does Internet Explorer have to be integrated into the OS? I loathe IE. Were it not for a number of sites that refuse to comply with W3C standards because they were coded specifically for IE, if I had the ability to truly uninstall it, I would do so without a second thought. ActiveX? I can get an ActiveX plug-in for Firefox. Windows Media Player? Please. Mplayer can handle every video format that WMP plays. All it needs is the right codec. Any sounds I want to play I can play via some other audio player such as Winamp or my sound editor of choice. I want to go back to having the freedome to have only the components I want to have installed in my Windows install. I want the chance to select during the installation process, too. I'm tired of having to go back after the install is done and uninstall about half a dozen usless apps and utilities that come in a default Windows XP install, and I'm damn sure Vista's no better on this.

In short, I want M$ to give me back control of what non-critical parts of their damn OS I install and don't. Furthermore, there is no reason for a webbrowser or a media player to be critically integrated parts of an operating system. They are APPLICATIONS.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 06:38:31 pm by CaptJosh »
CaptJosh

Offline neoterran

Okay, stay on XP then, lol.
Chief Grognard.

Offline CaptJosh

neo, XP doesn't even do that. The last Windows I can remember that let me pick which optional components I wanted and didn't want before it installed anything was Windows 98. I don't recall with Windows Mistake Edition, I got rid of that soon after I got a computer that came with it. Windows XP just installs, then I have to go into the Windows Components in add/remove programs and uninstall crap like MSN Explorer and a few other useless things. Windows 98 and ME didn't have Media player as an integrated part of the OS, but even then, IE and Windows Explorer were effectively inseperable. I have no desire to go back to Win98, however. Windows' implementation of FAT32 is severely lacking and will only format partions of a size of about 30 gigs max, when the standard itself supports partitions of up to 4 terabytes. Furthermore, there is a 4 gigbyte file size limit that I ran into on FAT32 when I was converting the big FS2 Intro vid from MVE to uncompressed AVI so I could put it through virtualdub and run it through an Xvid codec. NTFS is much better about file and partition sizes. Still EXT3 is much better and if I could do everything in Linux that I can do in Windows(play all my favorite games, mostly), I'd probably not be running Windows at all.
CaptJosh

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
FAT32 file size limit is 2gig on Me/98/98SE/95b and 4gig on 2000/2003 server/XP. With NTFS on NT4/2000/2003 server/XP/Vista the file size limit is 16 exabytes.

[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAT32#Final_FAT16]FAT16[/url] can use partitions up to 4gig but maximum file size is 2gig.

FAT32 can use partitions up to one terabyte but Windows 2000 and later are artificially limited to creating FAT32 partitions no larger than 32gig, but if the FAT32 partition is created with 95b through Me, Windows 2000 and later can use the full size of the larger than 32gig partition.

also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems
"They were really only teeny little A-bombs, honest!" Dr. Charles Dart

Offline ni1s

Still EXT3 is much better and if I could do everything in Linux that I can do in Windows(play all my favorite games, mostly), I'd probably not be running Windows at all.
There is a EXT2 driver for Windows. It might not be best solution, but still...

EDIT: And yeah, if you got the patience of Job, there's always Wine.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
There is a EXT2 driver for Windows. It might not be best solution, but still...

That's the driver I use on my dual-boot laptop.  :yes:
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Night Hammer

• I Can't FRED
  • You'll shoot your eye out...
Can someone give me a quick synopsis of this whole thread?

Ive got vista on my new comp and am wanting to out FSO on it, but if it doesnt work, **** it and Lets face it im too lazy to read through 3 pages.

So yay or nay?

« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 08:04:25 pm by Night Hammer »
Stop... Hammertime :hammer:

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Can someone give me a quick synopsis of this whole thread?

Ive got vista on my new comp and am wanting to out FSO on it, but if it doesnt work, **** it and Lets face it im too lazy to read through 3 pages.

So yay or nay?

What's your graphics card?
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Night Hammer

• I Can't FRED
  • You'll shoot your eye out...
 ati x1300 pro
Stop... Hammertime :hammer:

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
ati x1300 pro

hmm... It's worth a try. You can install it from the link in my sig.