Author Topic: Wing Commander Arena  (Read 16588 times)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I actually liked the WC movie. What bothered me most about it were the stupid physics mistakes, such as gravity in space and the whole quiet thing. BTW, Sphynx, in the movie the Rapiers aren't jump-capable, when Blair jumped he went through some sort of gravity worm-hole distortion thingy.

And Ace, I'm going to have to disagree with your "better" storyline. That storyline would work only if people had some familiarity with the Wing Commander storyline - which most don't (I don't, I've only played WC4 and that was years ago).

I think the storyline they used was alright, just could've been done a whole lot better (minus the whole Pilgrim bull**** thing as well). If they had made it tighter, with less extraneous BS, and focused a lot more on creating likeable, believable characters rather than cookie-cutter "badass female lead," "hot shot pilot" "outcast hero" and "racist XO" then they might've had something that would've been recieved better.

And for the record, I also liked the ship designs in the movie. The Kilrathi fighters were rather uninspired (although we never really saw them), but the Rapiers were quite interesting (albeit a little cartoony). Again, with some minor adjustments we could have had a classic.

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
I can't imagine LOAF being pleased with this game.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
and incidentally: the CIC chiefs are fanboys.

No, they're sellouts. Any fanboy worth his salt would be screaming pure bloody murder.
* ngtm1r is far more familar with fanboy behavior then he'd like.

They are insane... The mods will insult you if you don't agree if them. And ultimatly ban you if they can't convert you.
First they tell you that only devs could decide what's best, but when a real developer shows up and has a different opinon, they 'attack' him anyway...

I've never seen a board like this before.

I don't even really think they like Arena. Hosting enough critical content that would be probably enough for EA to take down the site, they probably just worry about C&D letters.
Or they hope for 'something' from a few EA guys who were visting CIC.

If you don't like Arena or EA, you'll just get banned...
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
The reason they are so happy at the CIC is because of the fact its been ten long years since a Wing Commander game out, VS 8 years for Freespace.  Another reason they're attcking you, DaBrain, was because you came off as ass to them. Besides, they wont ban you if you dont like it.(they didnt for me)

On the actuall topic, I will wait for this game and I will buy it, just to see how well it turns out.(The new Midway model actually looks cool IMO.  The Battlecrusiers, hell no.  And I can live forever with just seeing the Rapier models from Wings 1 and 2, not the ****ty movie Rapiers)
Also, the  movie Rapiers were different from the Game ones, The game one had F-44A/B/C/G models, and was the second rapier.  The Movie one is the CF-117, and was over a hundred years old.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
I guess i am of 'older generation' gamers as though i really would like to see WC:Arena to succeed (so that there might yet be a real WC game) i wont touch that game at all... It has far too many things that i really dislike, arcadish game (with freaking powerups) combined with multiplayer from which you might actually gain M$ points almost ensures fraghunting and extreme 'powergaming' which i both hate. That and it being a XBLA title..
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
The reason they are so happy at the CIC is because of the fact its been ten long years since a Wing Commander game out, VS 8 years for Freespace.

Does that really count? Pretty much all Wing Commander fans are really disappointed with Arena.
CIC is the only place I found multiple postive comments at once at.

Another reason they're attcking you, DaBrain, was because you came off as ass to them. Besides, they wont ban you if you dont like it.(they didnt for me)

I saw some closed threads there about the 'I don't like Arena' topic. Of course I knew they were going to do something act like this.
Still I never intended to start a war there and I've been very calm and patient with them. It was pretty hard. I never got so many stupid answers before... How would you deal with that?
When Loaf excused for beeing a jerk, I even thought that CIC might be ok when you stay away from the mods.

I don't really care about getting banned there. CIC just isn't a community where you can post your opinon. So whether they ban me or not, I probably won't go there anymore anyway.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 05:27:21 pm by DaBrain »
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
The reason they are so happy at the CIC is because of the fact its been ten long years since a Wing Commander game out, VS 8 years for Freespace.

Snip

Another reason they're attcking you, DaBrain, was because you came off as ass to them. Besides, they wont ban you if you dont like it.(they didnt for me)

I got so many stupid answers before... How would you deal with that?
When Loaf excused for beeing a jerk, I even thought that CIC might be ok when you stay away from the mods.
If I got a stupid answer for a legit question, i'd defenatly raise some hell.  Also, the reason why Jesus was banned in the "grave reservations thread" was because he (apparently) insulted the admins.  Fatcat got banned because he asked why in officialt channals. Meh, the whole thing is kind of ludicus.  The Admins are rather trigger happy these days. (Also, LOAF insulted HLP one time. Quote goes like this,  The only separating us from HLP is the fact we can keep a server up for more than an hour and sell your personal informantion to the Russians.  Yeah, uncalled for.  Also, doesent HLP have to run both HLP and Gamewarden on the same server at the same time?)

Offline brozozo

• Used to be d3r3k.
    • MySpace
Don't be so hard on the CIC. It's a nice place if you don't run afoul of the admins.

Don't be so hard on the CIC. It's a nice place if you don't run afoul of the admins.

.... and keep your rabids shots up to date  :D
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

Which you do pretty much by being a thinking human being.

Oh the horror.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
I didn't want to start a CIC bash thread here... that would be a very CIC thing to do.

@d3r3k
I guess. The Final Fantasy topic wasn't that bad. It was only weird that all mods that had to say so much about FF, when I mentioned the connection to Arena, never posted anything there. Not that I'd mind that. ;)
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
Agreed, it is actually a decent place, but some of the guys there kind of act like dicks.  Although Loaf and Quartro are actually good guys.(You REALLY dont want to piss off Loaf though)  Speaking of which, d3r3k, why did you get banned from the CIC for a long time?

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
And Ace, I'm going to have to disagree with your "better" storyline. That storyline would work only if people had some familiarity with the Wing Commander storyline - which most don't (I don't, I've only played WC4 and that was years ago).

The reason to use something like McAuliffe would be that 1) WC fans drool. 2) It has a simple, clear, strategic objective which gives the idea of it being part of a larger war.

Having the Tiger's Claw doing missions and hiding from capital ships to protect a Confed world as part of the bigger plans in Vega as a whole would convey more of a Wing Commander feel than the plot they did use.

- - -

On the Arena capships: My main issue is the coloration. The darker hull and red makes it look too Kilrathi. You don't get as good of a "at a glance" idea of what side the ship is on. The greebles are also too big, if they were say 25% of their current size it'd maintain the overall profiles of the capships better. Even if the red bits are for team colors, the general hull coloration doesn't seem different enough from the Kilrathi.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 05:23:29 pm by Ace »
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline brozozo

• Used to be d3r3k.
    • MySpace
Agreed, it is actually a decent place, but some of the guys there kind of act like dicks.  Although Loaf and Quartro are actually good guys.(You REALLY dont want to piss off Loaf though)  Speaking of which, d3r3k, why did you get banned from the CIC for a long time?

I ran afoul of the admins. We were talking about the Halo 3 super special edition, and my opinion was that it was not worth the money. Then the subject of a similarly priced ($100) WC super special edition came up, and I said I wouldn't buy it. Somehow, this turned into a very weak argument between ChrisReid and I, and I was promptly banned for a few months.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Well the story is a big problem.

Not using a storyline isn't a solution though...

If you go for an indepenant storyline, the Wing Commander fans won't like it.
And if you continue the old storyline, some new people won't understand some things.

I'd still go for the Wing Commander targetgroup. You can't create a Wing Commander game and completely ignore the old players.
No, you'd have to do it the hard way and try to 'tell' the new players the old storyline too, without annoying the players that already know it... Might be quite a challange for a developer. ;)

(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline Sphynx

I can't imagine LOAF being pleased with this game.

Actually, he is very excited about it.
What we perceive is more a reflection of ourselves than of our environment.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
I don't think so.
He has a reason to push it, but I doubt that's the game he has waited for.

In the discussion with me, he admited that I'd prefer a WC game with FMVs too.

I don't think a real hardcore WC fan could like something like Arena. At last not as Wing Commander game.
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline Sphynx

Interesting. I hadn't picked up on that from him, although what you are saying makes more sense to me.
What we perceive is more a reflection of ourselves than of our environment.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Just watched that video again, is it me or does the player seem to take more damage in those scenes from bouncing off of stuff than anything else?

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Well, I played subspace a few times.

It was fun, but pretty hard to control your ship... and aiming, by 'rotating' your ship was even harder.
(hosted by Game-Warden)