Author Topic: Model Contest - GTJ Eleutherios  (Read 4111 times)

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Model Contest - GTJ Eleutherios
Designed shortly after the loss of the Colossus at Capella. The Eleutherios is the first Juggernaught class vessel that can be massed produced. The design focussed on a powerful cannon that could destroy a Sathanas in a few shots from a far distance. However a lot of reactor power is needed just to fire once. The recharge rate is 2 minutes at peak effiency.
The designed was halted due to budget problems untill the recent threat by the Earth Alliance and the Shivans.

Model Details:
9995 polys
11105 verts
3.1km*793m*6km
65 turrets
Modelled in truespace 5

FS2 Low poly version:

Model Details:
1126 polys
1119 verts

Offline Grey Wolf

Nice ship
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man
Cool Hanger!!!    
Did you use deform to make any of the shapes used their? Im trying to break out of angular designs.

[This message has been edited by Zeronet (edited 01-16-2002).]
Got Ether?

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
I only use a few tools for my models:

Sweep
Tip
Delete face
Add face
polygon draw
polygon bevel
Uv tools and glueing tools

I use no deforms or boolean on my ships. All are one one primitive which are swept out basically  

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
No offense but it looks REALLY easy to make the Low version... just a cube extruded (= E)scalled (= S), E,S,E,S,E,S select new part, E,S,E,S, New part, E, S, other side, E S then do the little parts sticking out (on side beams, extrude endges on back and front to effect, finished, more or less...

The top one looks much better, unfortunatly I only have Amapi 4.15 (on a mag) so my High poly skills are limited... severly!
Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
Almost forgot the good! I like the hangar too! does it go right through?

I think the ship is REALLY cool (apart from the big beam thing, with out it it is better)

Textures are standard, in use but nicely done it looks good. over all I would say...  
Conflict GRDLA:
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/

Originally posted by LAW ENFORCER:

I think the ship is REALLY cool (apart from the big beam thing, with out it it is better)

it needs the big beam thing! think of homeworld:cataclysm, the KUUN-LAN (or whatever), was just a worthless mining ship that built really slow. But with the seige cannon it had some actual combat use!

"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
I meant in the looks department (essecily the LOW POLY version... Uhhgg!)
Conflict GRDLA:

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
The command ship isnt totally useless without the siege cannon. The rapid fire deck guns on it rip fighter wings apart, and once you get the energy cannon upgrade its even worse. You can lead assaults with the thing...
Anyway, back on topic..
That ship doesnt seem big, but it sure does look like it could take a beating and keep on going...

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Ships of the Line

This ship is the third of this design type, the cannon was added to make it a bit more different to the other two.

It was made from a cylinder, not a cube, the hangers don't go all the way through but are massive and it will be able to take a pounding  

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
Very nice  
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
You know, I didn't like this thing at first glance. Actually, I still don't, but it certainly presents an imposing figure. I'd feel unsteady if I was flying into to try to take it down. For that, it gets a big    

In the Ships of the Line pic venom posted, I love the center one. Its gorgeous.  

------------------
--Mik
http://www.404error.com
ruhkferret on ICQ/AIM

"Your guy was a little SQUARE! You had to use your IMAGINATION! There were no multiple levels or screens. There was just one screen forever and you could never win the game. It just kept getting harder and faster until you died. JUST LIKE LIFE." --Ernie Cline
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Umm I posted the pic, venom has nothing to do with these ships

The middle one is the SOC Olemus, Infernos new flagship.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
I give it a "meh". With a "well..." added for concept. All in all, it reminds me a bit of my Ultimatum concept (which I'll never satisfactorally complete, what with my sucking at everything not RDS), what with the multiple bridges and all, but it looks like maybe 10 minutes of work copying turrets, lathing/extruding, and adding what detail there is. The fact that you deny using timesaving measures means little. Make it more complex, and you have a sweet-assed ship in the making, and next time I'll say something nice!

------------------

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP

Originally posted by Stryke 9:
The fact that you deny using timesaving measures means little.

???

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
The booleans, etc. Boolean op takes about... lessee... 1/9 the time of any other method. Never mind. That wasn't even a factor in my final judgement.  

------------------

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
I haven't used them since my newbie days, they cause far too much clipping and create far too many unwanted verts.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Ah... what prog? Truespace?

[sound of insane laughter rolls through forum]

Sorry, didn't realize you were using... that. Gets extra credit for effort- up to a "hmm..."!

------------------

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com

Originally posted by Stryke 9:
Ah... what prog? Truespace?

[sound of insane laughter rolls through forum]

Sorry, didn't realize you were using... that. Gets extra credit for effort- up to a "hmm..."!

Booleans in pretty much every 3d modeller suck, and should be avoided as much as possible. Admittedly, Truespace has some of the worst. However, if you've got half a clue about your tools, you can get the same affect as a boolean with nearly the same speed but much more reliably.

In fact, about the only thing I would trust to a boolean is a 2d polygon, and even then, copying points and building a whole new poly is probably just as fast.

------------------
--Mik
http://www.404error.com
ruhkferret on ICQ/AIM

"Your guy was a little SQUARE! You had to use your IMAGINATION! There were no multiple levels or screens. There was just one screen forever and you could never win the game. It just kept getting harder and faster until you died. JUST LIKE LIFE." --Ernie Cline
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?

Originally posted by mikhael:

In fact, about the only thing I would trust to a boolean is a 2d polygon, and even then, copying points and building a whole new poly is probably just as fast.

lol, in max, it's the one I avoid most, 2d polyguns, it will never remove the faces right

SCREW CANON!