Author Topic: Look upon the face of stupidity  (Read 1157 times)

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
Look upon the face of stupidity
Forgive me for a little spam, but this is just about the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

http://forum.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?p=3111042#post3111042

Yeah, cause discussion of Bush being killed by an assassin droid from Star Wars needs to be taken very seriously. :rolleyes:

If I had any respect at all for Spacebattles before, it's gone now.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: Look upon the face of stupidity
:wtf:

Spacebattles is screwed up [overuse of 1's and 0's].

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
My emotions (at order of occurrence):

:eek: :lol: ::) :nervous: :shaking: :wtf: :confused:

...what is up with that place? It's like discussing which are better, ninjas or pirates, and which group could do better in taking over the world (pirates, obviously, but that's not the question here). Completely random discussion for fun.

Then again, I can somehow understand the "cover my arse" reaction of the forum adminstration, given that US government has obtained right to simply label random people as terrorist suspects, ripping them off their civil rights, keeping them detained for undeterminate period of time without trial and finally, to "use harsh interrogation methods" to them for information. I wouldn't like the secret service bringing me in for questioning myself.

That doesn't mean that I approve that kind of things. Terrorism shouldn't be let the chance to affect living, whether it comes from the outside... or from the inside.

I'm tempted to join the forums just to ask them a question: If King Kong would be dropped to nowadays New York, with it's original strength and size from the book, would he be able to climb to Empire State Building and blow it off the map with a suicide nuclear bomb tied into it's abdomen? :rolleyes: I wonder if Secret Service would take that seriously...
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
At face value I'd like to say it's rediculous that they have to cover their asses by not allowing such a fictional question.

However in the face of some of the stupid things that police forces / secret service / whoever have done around the world - over-reacting or reacting poorly to things that are clearly (at least to any normal thinking person) a joke - well - it just seems you can't be too careful these days.

That said I wonder how carefully these people look into a subject. Say you substitute the name of Americas current president for another name, you're then creating a work of complete fiction even if it's based on a set of real life charachters (droids from Star Wars aside). Hollywood films have already tackled the subject of assassination numerous times, should all those writers and directors be locked away for potentially giving Joe Public ideas?

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
However in the face of some of the stupid things that police forces / secret service / whoever have done around the world - over-reacting or reacting poorly to things that are clearly (at least to any normal thinking person) a joke - well - it just seems you can't be too careful these days.

Clearly, we should just acquiesce to their paranoia/love of intimidation so they learn that they can get away with anything, or in the case of Spacebattles here, take part in the hysteria.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 08:24:36 pm by Mr. Vega »
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
True story:

A fellow I know once posted on one of those "secret" diary websites that he wanted to kill George W.  He posted his intention (to test if this diary really was secret) on another forum to cover his ass.  Sure enough, he got a phone call within the week from the USSS.  What's even crazier - he's Canadian.

Therefore, while it may seem silly, some agencies go a little overboard with this kind of thing and I can't blame people for not wanting serious law enforcement attentions directed at their website.

Now then, everyone wave to Carnivore...
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
It's ****ing ludicrous and paranoid.  Do they really think anyone with the capacity to actually execute the closely guarded man in the world is going to advertise?  (let alone the ludicrousness of this example)

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
although i gotta say, if anyone can do it, HK-47 can.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Affirmative, Meatbag.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
He has one year to complete the mission. Can he do it?

No ****ing way. Jonathon 'The Impaler' Sharkey will get Bush first.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Yeah, it's stupid.  But to be honest, the way I read it, he could very possibly be making a metaphor.  But that's just how I see it. particularly the "average knowledge about the subject equivocal to an average SB member" "not bulletproof" and "streets of NYC" parts.  Not to mention, the poster has HK-47's face as his avatar.
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!