Author Topic: You guys are my heros  (Read 8644 times)

You guys are my heros
Just the other day I tried making my old copy of Starfleet Acadamy work and it kept screwing up (the screen kept going black and would only reveal in squares as the mouse passed over them, if you have any ideas, let me know.)

In any case, I remember thinking hey, my buddy used to have this game called Freespace 2 and it ruled.  So I look on HOTU and whoa, there is a whole fricken community here!

This is AWESOME!  Thank you so much for your effort and devotion.  This is really amazing.  It's days like this that made me wish I had stuck with my CoSci degree instead of branching into physics.

I just downloaded the HOTU version of the game as well as the 3.6.9 open executeable.  Will this function properly if I go and get the VP files and the cutscenes or should I use an online installer ?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 01:21:18 am by l33t_sh33p »

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Re: You guys are my heros
* Taristin hehehe's at "freelancer 2"...

Well, welcome aboard. Mind the mess while we work out a few issues here, and enjoy your stay on HLP.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Oh, how I wish there was a Freelancer 2.... :(

Anyway welcome! I recommend the installer, its easier to use.

I'd say just go with the online installer. 

arg, my bad.  I did call it Freelancer.   I have that as well... omfg it's awesome.  Maybe one day they will release the source to the folks at lancersreactor and then we'll see a similar thing as the FSC project.

Of course I meant to say Freespace 2 and I will update my post right after this.

On a different note, what language to the coders use when adding things to the game ? I have a friend who is a programming major and he will help teach.  I might just try to help out here and there instead of leeching off the talent of everyone else.  I suppose I could make some ship models or something.  Also, how would I go about creating a campaign (not that I plan to atm, but ... )  would I use FRED ? 

I have a million more questions, but I'll poke around the wiki a bunch more and lurk here before I start boring you guys with them.

In any case, nice to meet you all!

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
should I use an online installer ?

Anyway welcome! I recommend the installer, its easier to use.

I'd say just go with the online installer. 

This makes me feel bad about having to take it down for the rest of the month.  :sigh:
Use what you've got until April 1st, then you can update with the Installer. :nod:

On a different note, what language to the coders use when adding things to the game ?
C/C++.

Also, how would I go about creating a campaign (not that I plan to atm, but ... )  would I use FRED ? 
Yeah.

In any case, nice to meet you all!
Nice to meet you too. :)
:welcome:
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Hello,

I just read your other thread about the installer and some other stuff.

I have the FS2 from HOTU.  I read that it was a stripped down version... what is it missing and can I conceiveably get the stuff for it without waiting for the online installer to come back up?  I also have the most recent SCP .exe files.  Bandwidth really isn't an issue for me.

I'm kinda excited about playing the single player campaign...

Could I get the cutscenes and the new models etc... from somewhere ?  Is there other stuff that's it's missing that I can't replace ?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 02:09:59 am by l33t_sh33p »

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
If you have the new patched version from HOTU you mgiht as well get on and install the SCP without the installer if you want to.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/karajorma/FAQ/intro.html

First make sure you have all the needed retail mediafiles. Download all except mv_cell.vp from
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,39905.0.html

And get new build and launcher from
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,44291.0.html
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Thanks,

I really don't mind doing things that way, I just had read that the HOTU version was "stripped down" and I didn't know if I would be able to use it for full functionality. 

Also : I saw a link to the .ogg cutscenes.  Will those work properly ?  I have never played FS2 before and would like the "real experience" with the extra graphics  ;7

I'll look at some of the better custom campaigns after that.

Aside from the core vp files, what are your suggestions for others to pick up ?

Lastly, is there a way to donate/paid membership ? I know the definition of 'open source' kinda precludes asking for payment, but I'm not stupid either; bandwidth costs money and I'm sure you guys consume a ton of bandwidth.  Is there a paypal account that I can dump 10 bucks in ?

Thanks again,

- Ryan

EDIT:

I am looking at the VP files.  I notice that in one of them there seems to be an issue with beam weapons and DXTS.  Also, someone has made a fix that converts the alpha maps (?) to DXT1c.  Should I install the first mediaVP that contains the problem beams and then install the VP that contains the DXT1c beams in order to overwrite the problem files ?

I was thinking of using the mv_zpack (which has core,music,textures,effects,models) and the adveffects (I am running a 7800GTX, 1 GB Ram, Athlon 3800+)
Would I then add the fixed beam weapons VP ? 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 12:32:52 pm by l33t_sh33p »

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Glad you like what the guys here have done, it really is breathtaking when you compare the old with the new ;)

And very generous offer on your part, thank you, I'm not sure where you'd go to donate, the person you'd need to talk to is probably either Kalfireth or MatthewPapa

Probably the best place to go to make a donation is Game Warden (HLP and GW are both hosted on the same server) but I'd recommend waiting for someone in the know to confirm that.

http://www.game-warden.com/

Either way, enjoy your stay :D

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I really don't mind doing things that way, I just had read that the HOTU version was "stripped down" and I didn't know if I would be able to use it for full functionality.

HotU was designed to give you everything you should need for an FS2_Open install with no fat. HotU got the best version of the game they had the bandwidth for (which is why the cutscenes were removed) and we got a very good way of getting the really important retail files to the user without having to host them ourselves. :D

Also : I saw a link to the .ogg cutscenes.  Will those work properly ?  I have never played FS2 before and would like the "real experience" with the extra graphics  ;7

If you install the latest version of FS2_open (i.e 3.6.9 Official) yes. Otherwise, no. There is no good reason for you to NOT download 3.6.9 unless you have a very old PC so that's what you should do.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Thank you,

I am downloading the mv_zpack and the adv effects, should be finished in about 10 minutes.

How do I install the vp's ?  create a /mediavps/data/$$$ where $$$ is the name of the pack ? (effects,textures,etc...)

and for the 'sane beamweapons' I understand that it is not adviseable to put the files into /mediavps/data/effects but rather make a seperate directory for them... do I then need to do something special to make sure they load ?

I will do the .ogg's later tonight and hope to be playing by this evening, after work.

Thanks again for the help guys, this is a really interesting project.

Offline Inquisitor

These guys have done amazing things.

Is there a hosting problem for the installer? Maybe we can solve that, I have been away for a couple months, and I may vanish again, but while my attention is here maybe I can get a couple things done.
No signature.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
These guys have done amazing things.

Is there a hosting problem for the installer? Maybe we can solve that, I have been away for a couple months, and I may vanish again, but while my attention is here maybe I can get a couple things done.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,42854.msg939892.html#msg939892

If you've got hosting that can handle 4.5+ Terabytes a month easily, tell me.
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Inquisitor

Well, I don;t know about all of it, but maybe something.
No signature.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I am downloading the mv_zpack and the adv effects, should be finished in about 10 minutes.

Not quite. The VPs go directly in the mediavps folder.

and for the 'sane beamweapons' I understand that it is not adviseable to put the files into /mediavps/data/effects but rather make a seperate directory for them... do I then need to do something special to make sure they load ?

Putting them in that folder is only a problem if you forget that they're there when the new set of media VPs comes out.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Well, I don;t know about all of it, but maybe something.

If I think of something, I'll let you know.

Thanks Karajorma,

I do not have a mediavps folder in my FS2 install directory, so I will create one and add the stuff there,

that will leave me with /freelancer2/mediavps/effects etc...

or should it be /freelancer2/data/mediavps/effects etc... ?

I will add the sane beam weapons to that folder as well and then just make a txt file reminding me that I've added the sane beamweapon stuff.  Or I'll just clean out all of the mediavps folder I guess.

Thanks!

EDIT

In looking at the official 3.6.9 release thread, I found the link to the .ogg cutscenes.  Firstly, where would they go ?  /freespace2/data/$$$ ?  where $$$ is something.  Also : It says the mydatabus has exceeded it's limit today :(   I guess tomorrow then.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 08:53:05 pm by l33t_sh33p »

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
that will leave me with /freelancer2/mediavps/effects etc...

or should it be /freelancer2/data/mediavps/effects etc... ?
Should be /FreeSpace2/mediavps/data/effects etc.

Also, you can get the ogg cutscenes in a pack here. just put the file into your /FreeSpace2/ directory and rename it to "FS2OGGcutscenepack.vp".

Thanks Turey,

I'm reading this faq on ntlworld atm, it has a list of files that I need to get to 'fix' the HotU version of the game.  But I think I already have some of these files.  ie: I see little animations in the tech room and I get a voice introduction to my first training mission.  Should I worry about going and getting those old files ?  How can I check if I have the VP's ?  Here is the link to the page I'm reading.  Thx.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/karajorma/FAQ/hotu.html

I'm off to install me some VP's! ;D

EDIT

I placed the modified and sane beam glow dds files into the /effects folder, not the /adveffects folder.   Anyway, I'm gonna make some tea and check this thread for the next 10 minutes, but I think I've got it all set and working atm so the temptation to go play fs2 all night is strong within me.

Thank you SO much to all of you who have helped me thus far, I really appreciate your patience.  Should I ever manage to master some C++ skills maybe I can help with some AI or physics things.

EDIT #2

WHOA!  I jsut realized that I have all of these .vp files in the root director of /freespace2  not nested into /data/$$$$   I have the tango files etc... so clearly the HotU download has added some of this functionality.

Should I move these files into /freespace2/data/$$$$$ and get them off of the root directory or not ?  the /freespace2/data/music etc... directories are empty atm.

I just re-read the ntlworld site, I think the retail .vp's will be fine in the root directory, and since I'm using the launcher it will ignore the retail vp's and use the ones in mediavps anyway.  I guess that kinda answers my last question.  Thanks again guys, this has been a real journey for me.  Off to play me some FS2.  I'll be back when I need to figure out how to add a second campaign ;)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 10:10:32 pm by l33t_sh33p »