Author Topic: Overrated Games  (Read 29107 times)

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
I'll agree that MGS shouldn't get a 10/10, but it's still a darn good game, one of my favorites. :yes:
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
About Gears of War, sure, it was definitely overrated now just wait when the movie comes about. :) :p

on the plus side, it'll actually be true to the game for once.  :p
(yes, the game DID suck, had no plot, no point, and was mindless)

I completely disagree with your statement that the GAME sucks. See, you like Lost Planet, I game I found to be rated pretty well (an 8 ).  Lost Planet had some cool moments, but the game play feels a little too shallow/arcade for my own tastes. Furthermore, I personally liked the mood and art in Gears more than Lost Planet, and I found the story in LP to be way too self-serious. At least Gears poked fun at itself. And the voice work a mess?!? Compared to what? I get the criticisms for the story, and they are deserved, but everything else is so well done, that to me, it doesn't matter.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I'll agree that MGS shouldn't get a 10/10, but it's still a darn good game, one of my favorites. :yes:

We are talking about Overrated Games...MGS...all the MGS for PS One, PS2 and PSP are overrated. Entire articles about the
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline tifi

• GTF Apollo Fan Club
Most overrated game ever = Starcraft

People go nuts for it, and I can't for the life of me think why :confused:
*Congratulations! You worship a mediocre game :-3*

Offline Nuclear1

StarControl 3 was overrated and total crap.

Uh, it wasn't really overrated.  IIRC, it was actually bashed and heavily criticized for not being anywhere remotely as good as its predecessor (which happens to be one of the only games I ever play anymore).
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Hopefully we will get another good Star Control game since Toys For Bob (they made Star Control 1 & 2 but not 3) are thinking of making a proper sequel. (but it probably won't happen)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 01:45:59 pm by Admiral Cheater »

Offline tifi

• GTF Apollo Fan Club
Star Control (1 & 2) was, nay IS one of the best games ever.
Melee vs. a friend has to be one of the funnest and most stupidly competetive passtimes I have ever come accross :p

SC3 was alright on its own, but as part of the whole starcon series was VERY dissapointing.
Heck, its not even considered canon :lol:

As for overrated things.
Master of Orion 3
Talk about being hyped up out of all proportion then landing squarely on its face.

Offline Vretsu

Anything not "Half-Life 2."  Most excellent game.

Uh...get back! Soap! I've got soap!

*holds off entire forum with bar of soap*

Offline Snail

• SC 5
* Snail throws solvent at soap

* Spartan quickly hurls a base at Snail's solvent...

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Which forms water, which is still a solvent of soap...
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.

But remember, Half-Life 2 teh suxxzors because of steam!!!111 bull****

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?

Half Life 2 sucked. It was a barely average game.

And I agree with the Starcraft comment, it was...meh. I don't see what the big deal is, it's a mediocre strategy game that focuses on pretty much only rush tactics.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!

Half Life 2 sucked. It was a barely average game.

And I agree with the Starcraft comment, it was...meh. I don't see what the big deal is, it's a mediocre strategy game that focuses on pretty much only rush tactics.

HL2 sucked not because of steam, the source engine was nice, and it didn't fall down flat graphically, what it did fail on was story, and the delivery of that story, it was very sloppily done for a start, and what you could glean from the game itself could fit on a pamphlet, in reality, there was a backstory to HL2, was it elaborated much? no, was anything elaborated on? no.

very poor delivery makes this game only marginally better than Pariah
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Vretsu

*brow furrows*

It was one of the best FPS games in years and you know it! :p

And the creation of Steam, Starforce, etc is your own faults. Well, maybe not your specific faults, but most likely it actually is...

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I have started keeping an extra hard drive with its own windows install to deal with those things. I can install any suspicious games on it (for which I can't find a crack or something) and don't need to worry about them messing up my main drive/data, as I can nuke the extra drive at any time without losing anything.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
*brow furrows*

"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
*brow furrows*

And the creation of Steam, Starforce, etc is your own faults. Well, maybe not your specific faults, but most likely it actually is...

i'm more inclined to say that Halo was better than HL2 in the singular aspect of it being story driven. Bungie's story, although a little on the cliche'd side of things, was executed relatively well.

FEAR was better than HL2 because of two things: Bullet Time, and excellent atmosphere.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
fear is scray as **** so is oblivion ... untill you get invisibility spell :p
I hate My signature!

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
*brow furrows*

So now it's our faults that Steam treats us all like criminals?

On top of that, HL2 fell flat on story, in that it had none. Every HL2 fan goes on about how awesome the story is, but in reality, it's just not there. The only way you get the backstory is by reading random out of the way newspaper clippings - that's worse than Doom 3 (which people said was worse than HL2 story wise), where at least the PDAs that you picked up were obviously visible. On top of that, you basically just ran through a set of linear levels, with no real purpose behind it. Oh, let's go kill that guy. Why? Because he's evil. Let's kill Breen. Why? I dunno, because he surrendered or is cooperating or something, I don't know, he's just bad, let's go get him. At least Doom 3 kept the story going, and you knew why you were doing stuff.

Now, in terms of graphics. Puh-lease. OMG OMG OMG PHYSICS LOLLERSKATES! Excuse me, ragdoll physics have been around since 2003. And moveable boxes and objects have been around long before that. If I knew coding I could add a gravity gun into Unreal Tournament 2003/2004, and ta-da, it'd be exactly the same as HL2. There's almost no difference physics wise, it's just that HL2 gave you a gun that actually exploited the physics (which was a nifty idea I'll admit). In terms of straight eye-candy - come on, you gotta be ****ting me. When games are coming out with dynamic shadows and bump, normal, and parallax mapping, what does HL2 have? Uhh...high resolution people textures and HDR lighting (aka bloom lighting on steroids - and bloom has been around for quite some years now)? Please. The game was outdated graphically before it even came out.

How about gameplay? Eh, it's alright. Once again you run through linear levels and kill random gas-masked humanoid enemy/zombies/wild creatures. Yawn. Been there, done that for the last ten years, give me something new. The gravity gun was pretty nifty, but again, that's only one gun out of a (incredibly boring) arsenal of your usual assault rifle/shotgun/pistol/melee' assortment. Multiplayer deathmatch was fun though.

Basically, HL2 is an overrated, under-par, run of the mill shooter, that everyone salvitates over simply because it's the sequel to a shooter that they all have fond memories of (and if you go back and play it now, wow, you'll be surprised at how crappy it is. I couldn't get past the second or third level because I got so bored with it).

----

Now, in comparison, we have Far Cry, released a couple months before HL2 and Doom 3. Lush, beautiful graphics, with all the new whiz-bang shader features, reasonably intelligent AI, gigantic maps that allow you to truly play the mission YOUR way - as opposed to having two or three ways to actually complete it, and a dozen others that will pretty much get you killed every time (probably the most amazing and fun aspect of the game, or any game I've played in awhile), a storyline that you actually, you know, see and interact with, (as semi-cliche as it is), and even though the weapons are your typical modern day varieties, they all have a purpose - unlike Half Life 2, where it goes - small - big - bigger- biggest.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 08:37:44 am by Unknown Target »