Author Topic: High-Res Glory!!!  (Read 18203 times)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Finally! Someone who understands the importance of anti-aliasing! :D
No, it's not that he UNDERSTANDS, it's that he can IMPLEMENT it. :doubt:

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
All you have to do is turn it on using your Nvidia or ATi control panel.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Finally! Someone who understands the importance of anti-aliasing! :D
No, it's not that he UNDERSTANDS, it's that he can IMPLEMENT it. :doubt:

- Like me! ;)

All you have to do is turn it on using your Nvidia or ATi control panel.

- Exactly!  :yes:

Well, to be honest all of the explosion bitmaps do need to be replaced by higher resolution stuff. However, right now I am talking about the effect in the current MediaVP's that is used as flak explosion, and that's what you see in that reddish screenshot I posted, right in the middle of the image... That's what I mean. And it is named Exp20.

I agree, the flak should be replaced.  IMO, it should look different, as it looks like a good WWII era flak, but in space, I think they'd look more like little flash bombs with tiny bits of shrapnel flying out extremely fast (fast as in blink and you won't see the shrapnel fast).

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Well, the shrapnel would give impulse to the combustion fumes released in the detonation, and that momentum would carry outwards until the gas dissolves into the space.

It would look much similar to fireworks, flash of light and an expanding and rapidly dissipating cloud of combustion gas, which has "spikes" in it caused by the shrapnel.

It wouldn't really look like the fireballs we have now. If any of you have seen artillery or mortar strikes, you know it doesn't look like fireballs fram movies either... There's a small flash of light, but it's almost completely concealed by cloud of smoke and dust... and the dirt and shrapnel flies almost directly away from the explosion center, causing spikes much similar to what I described. Like in this:

Not the best example, but good enough for it's purpose. In space, obviously there's no dirt to fly around, but the smoke would be the most visible component of the explosion, and of course the initial flash.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Herra, very nice screenshots.  I have not had the opportunity to take any new shots since your suggestion of updating the table files re: the explosions -- I have no law school classes on Fridays, so we tend to get together for beers immediately after class and have a couple of drinks.  However, I am back now so I think I'm going to see what I can come up with.

Also, that Deimos shot is my new wallpaper for windows.  Great shot.
mb:  Asus A8AE-LE, athlon 64 3200+ 2ghz, 1024mb ram (2x512 pc3200), evga geforce 7600 gt 256mb gddr3 pci-e, hdd 142gb, 56gb

Offline mnftg64

How the heck do I get my Freespace to look like that?!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Do you have FSOpen? If so, what build? And, what features do you have and which resolution do you have activated?

How the heck do I get my Freespace to look like that?!

See this thread, where I basically just asked the same question, with a pretty detailed description of the evolution of my settings:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,46214.0.html

What results are you getting so far?
mb:  Asus A8AE-LE, athlon 64 3200+ 2ghz, 1024mb ram (2x512 pc3200), evga geforce 7600 gt 256mb gddr3 pci-e, hdd 142gb, 56gb

These shots were all taken with the nvidia control panel texture filtering set at 'high quality':

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 10:13:19 am by fsphiladelphia »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Oh, Derelict goodness... Can't wait until Chapter II: Owl Wars is released. ;)

All of the shots I've posted in this thread have been from Derelict so far.  I've enjoyed the campaign so far because there's a really good battle in just about every mission.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I've enjoyed the campaign so far because there's a really good battle in just about every mission.

ORLY?

One of the reasons I liked the campaign was because in some of the earlier missions, there was little to no action, and the action was just shooting at pirates in relics, real backwater with almost no real threat of dying. This atmosphere is copied in many campaigns.

Offline mnftg64

Can the original FS2 campaign look like that?

I've enjoyed the campaign so far because there's a really good battle in just about every mission.

ORLY?

One of the reasons I liked the campaign was because in some of the earlier missions, there was little to no action, and the action was just shooting at pirates in relics, real backwater with almost no real threat of dying. This atmosphere is copied in many campaigns.

Well, there is that aspect, too, but there are a good number of huge battles, and I like that stuff.  I love dogfighting while dodging beams (friendly or enemy) -- to me that's part of the essence of the game :)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Can the original FS2 campaign look like that?
Yes.  ;)

Offline mnftg64

I hate to be a pain, but after reading that other topic, I am more confused than before... Do those hi-res models come with the 3.6.8 Zeta VPs?

Time for another chapter of my ongoing visual tribute to FSO:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For anyone who's wondering:  yes, the Ithaca (the large class cruiser in the last three shots) did blow me up shortly after those shots were taken.  It was like a Siren...it was just so pretty I couldn't look away.  Then it killed me.

I hate to be a pain, but after reading that other topic, I am more confused than before... Do those hi-res models come with the 3.6.8 Zeta VPs?

Yup!   :D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 06:26:55 pm by fsphiladelphia »

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Good shots. One qestion though - is it possible for you to post PNG's or slightly higher quality JPG's? There's quite some compression artefacts on some of those shots.

Anyway, I believe you meant Deimos-class corvette, not Aeolus cruiser...
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Good shots. One qestion though - is it possible for you to post PNG's or slightly higher quality JPG's? There's quite some compression artefacts on some of those shots.

Anyway, I believe you meant Deimos-class corvette, not Aeolus cruiser...

As you posted that I was in there removing the class name because I realized it was not an Aeolus :)  And, yeah, I think I can start using PNG's.  These things don't look quite as sharp as they do as the standard TGA screenshots, I will say that.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam

If you have FSO 3.6.9 and MVP 3.6.8 Z, the only thing left is:
a) the correct settings, and
b) having a decent system, especially the graphics card

For a),
I noticed that the warp-in effect you are using are not the latest ones...

New Warp-In effect by Axem: http://www.game-warden.com/narfin/models/a_subpace.rar

And the tread discussing them is found here.

And as for lighting settings, I find the following custom command line does wonders to specular lighting properties...

-ambient_factor 0 -no_emissive_light -fov 0.55 -spec_exp 16.7 -spec_point 0.6 -spec_static 0.9 -spec_tube 1

Note that using ambient factor zero does make things rather dark if they aren't illuminated, but that's how I like my game... also, you might want to drop out the -fov 0.55 option or perhaps try something like -fov 0.65. Basically, the smaller the number, the shallower field of view. I find that value pretty much good for the most part, but experiment and find the good settings yourself. :)

For b), fsphiladelphia's siggy - that would be considered a very nice rig to play FSO on, but not necessary... I've seen FSO run almost decently on a 500 Mhz AMD K6-2 with 256 MB RAM and a BFG 5500 OC 256 PCI card before...