Author Topic: High-Res Glory!!!  (Read 18267 times)

Offline diceman111

• Keep on playing Glottis, keep on playing.....
i just hit big money. 200 bucks! buying a gfx card like your now! *prepares to post screenshots*

Well if you have an old computer just remeber that you most likely have AGP and not PCI-Express graphics slot when you buy a new graphics card also if you should buy a high en card remeber to check wheter it needs additional power or not
Flames Of War Chapter III - http://web.comhem.se/~u35702611

"If at first you don't succeed try a bigger thermonuclear weapon" - My philosophy on life

"I dont care if we smack it into her or smack it out of her just aslong as there's smacking invovled" - Max from Sam & Max Situation Comedy

I live in Sweden and before anybody ask NO we do not have polar bears walking on our streets thats Norway, we have penguins (Red ones with blue dots)

(These messages was brought to you by the people from DFWD (Diceman For World Domination))

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
i already got a new processor and motherboard for free. a friend upgraded his high end computer to super-high end and i got the leftovers. but he had a 1 gb gfx card so no leftovers there.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Do you have a PCI-E mobo?  You might want to save your money up to buy a comp supporting dual (or quad) core and DDR2 RAM and PCI-E... :D  Especially if you can sell your old computers for a few hundred (200 - 500?) bucks.

EDIT: The thing that sucks is that AGP cards actually seem to be more expensive than their equivalent PCI-E cards (well, not if you're buying PCI-E, but still...).

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
its ATI or Nvidia. im thinking a 215 mb radeon something.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
ATi or NVidia? Well that's a good start in selecting a GPU I guess... kinda narrows the choice... not.  :lol: Good luck finding a 215 MB GPU, though. They don't exist... But do take at least a 256 MB one.

I would suggest either NVidia GeForce 6800 GT or GeForce 7600 GS/GT depending on just how much you are willing to spend. On sub-200$ level, NVidia gives you more oomph for your money than ATi, as far as I know. But that's also specific to what you do with the card.

If you want to play old DOS games, you might want to check if the card you are getting supports VESA - this 7600 GT of mine doesn't do that. Older GF6600 did, but it was otherwise slower in all regards. Scarsteroids would've probably clogged it pretty badly.

I don't have any personal experience of recent ATi cards. The one on my family's PC's (128MB AGP Radeon 9200 SE) is rather crappy.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
What specs are you looking for?  AGP 8x or PCI-Ex16?

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
i just got my new specs. a brand new 256 mb gfx card and a new 2 gigahurtz proccessor, and an nvidia motherboard. woohoo!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
That a Celeron?  If so, put some extra cooling fans in there, an oversized heatsink/fan, and overclock that baby!!  (Find & print a decent guide on how to do this first... download CPU-Z (google it), find you processor type, then look for an OC guide)

Offline Vretsu

What gfx exactly did you purchase? 6800? 7800?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam

brand new system specs:

2 gigahurtz proccessor
256 mb radeon 9550 gfx card
1024 x 780 resolution
1 gigabyte RAM

runs all mediavps with no problems.

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
i overclocked it already today.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
i just got my new specs. a brand new 256 mb gfx card and a new 2 gigahurtz proccessor, and an nvidia motherboard. woohoo!
What kind of processor, and video card?

i already got a new processor and motherboard for free. a friend upgraded his high end computer to super-high end and i got the leftovers. but he had a 1 gb gfx card so no leftovers there.
1 gb of ram on a graphics card...that would have to be sli, but then again sli is more than one graphics card anyway. 1gb of ram on video card?
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Dual 512s, maybe?

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
I'm not seeing screenshots.

Chop-Chop.

Offline diceman111

• Keep on playing Glottis, keep on playing.....
1 gb of ram on a graphics card...that would have to be sli, but then again sli is more than one graphics card anyway. 1gb of ram on video card?

Well depends of what you mean, the 7950GX2 is two 7900GT in one card (it fits in one PCI-Express slot) and have 1GB of RAM

I should know I have one ;-)
Flames Of War Chapter III - http://web.comhem.se/~u35702611

"If at first you don't succeed try a bigger thermonuclear weapon" - My philosophy on life

"I dont care if we smack it into her or smack it out of her just aslong as there's smacking invovled" - Max from Sam & Max Situation Comedy

I live in Sweden and before anybody ask NO we do not have polar bears walking on our streets thats Norway, we have penguins (Red ones with blue dots)

(These messages was brought to you by the people from DFWD (Diceman For World Domination))

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
That is what i meant. The card you have is the two in one, but of course they do that through sli technology, just not through an extra pci-e slot this time. This is the same business a voodoo5 had going on(god bless 3dfx). So correctly you have two cards, referring to a 1gb ram single video card right now is stupid. There's a reason for years on end no one has been able to fit more than 512mb of ram on a video card. I forgot the reasons behind it so much as the manufacturers can't do it. And then that's where i think sli technology hops after years of being gone after the days of voodoo 2's and voodoo 5's(this is where i laugh because many people thought that two 8mb sli'ed voodoo 2's were faster than one voodoo3, one single voodoo 3 is a butt load faster than sli'ed voodoo2's this due in part that the voodoo3 was just superior(i wish voodoo3 had sli)), to help make things less ridiculous. 512mb cards made their debut during the 4th quarter of 2004. You would think 3 years later we would hop up to like 1gb of ram on one card...but no. 256mb of ram is still the standard for high performance gaming right now with 392mb of ram on a card making it's showoff. And of course the 512mb of ****ing ****ty slow ass ram is usually reserved for those low end cards just to get people to buy them.
512mb is pretty new in the high end graphics card lines in special cards like this two in one dealie, 512 in the performance cards will probably be sticking to **** like this for a long time.
For me if i had a video card with 2gb or even 1gb of ram, i'd be trying to tap that for system memory if i could. In other words while they're are 512mb cards out there, and the two in one sli 512 cards making 1gb, sli is only for there for making more ram on video cards seem less ridiculous. Anyway i did see many benchmarks on the 7950gx2 cards, and they are quite nice.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 04:22:53 pm by S-99 »
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
*sigh*

i'll come up with screens...

Offline Vretsu

Keeping in mind that the rest of it was free...

You spent $200 on a 256mb 9550?

*winces*

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
no. 80$. the rest of the money is being saved. what, do i look like an idiot to you?

(next person with a zinger gets it.)

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
That is what i meant. The card you have is the two in one, but of course they do that through sli technology, just not through an extra pci-e slot this time. This is the same business a voodoo5 had going on(god bless 3dfx). So correctly you have two cards, referring to a 1gb ram single video card right now is stupid. There's a reason for years on end no one has been able to fit more than 512mb of ram on a video card. I forgot the reasons behind it so much as the manufacturers can't do it. And then that's where i think sli technology hops after years of being gone after the days of voodoo 2's and voodoo 5's(this is where i laugh because many people thought that two 8mb sli'ed voodoo 2's were faster than one voodoo3, one single voodoo 3 is a butt load faster than sli'ed voodoo2's this due in part that the voodoo3 was just superior(i wish voodoo3 had sli)), to help make things less ridiculous. 512mb cards made their debut during the 4th quarter of 2004. You would think 3 years later we would hop up to like 1gb of ram on one card...but no. 256mb of ram is still the standard for high performance gaming right now with 392mb of ram on a card making it's showoff. And of course the 512mb of ****ing ****ty slow ass ram is usually reserved for those low end cards just to get people to buy them.
512mb is pretty new in the high end graphics card lines in special cards like this two in one dealie, 512 in the performance cards will probably be sticking to **** like this for a long time.
For me if i had a video card with 2gb or even 1gb of ram, i'd be trying to tap that for system memory if i could. In other words while they're are 512mb cards out there, and the two in one sli 512 cards making 1gb, sli is only for there for making more ram on video cards seem less ridiculous. Anyway i did see many benchmarks on the 7950gx2 cards, and they are quite nice.

How about this one, a Firegl card, is that SLi? I grant you that that card is very pricey!!!!!!

Before this I only knew of 768mb non-SLi graphics cards on the market!
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions