Author Topic: Freespace Quiz  (Read 4976 times)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
This is a copy of a topic posted on the VBB recently; I thought it was a great idea and figured that some of the HLP people might find it interesting as well.

Several quizzes were posted over there:

nuclear1's first quiz:

1) What fighter was the Valkryie originally based on?
2) What destroyer was McCarthy based on before going traitor?
3) Speaking of traitors, what is Admiral Bosch's full name and what is his orginization called?
4) What ancient civiliazation do the Vasudans seem most like?
5) Name two types of subspace jumps.
6) What destroyer was lost at the Battle of Deneb?
7) What is the name of the third-to-last mission is FS1?
8) What is the name of the largest spacefaring warship ever constructed and how many laser turrets does it have (according to the cutscene)?
9) What is the type of bomb used to destroy the Knossos subspace portal?
10) What wing was actually responsible for destroying the Lucifer's reactors and what was the aftermath of the explosion?
11) What destroyer was used to collapse the Epsilon Pegasi-Capella jump node?
12) What is the flagship of the 3rd Fleet based in Capella?
13) How did Capella go supernova?
14) What was the type of bomb that was the Alliance's only chance at taking down the Lucifer's reactors?
15) According to Admiral Wolf, how many wings of fighters and bombers did long-range sensors indicate at the Battle of Deneb?

My first quiz:

1: What two corporations designed the GVF Seth's power plant?
2: How many squadrons were originally on the Bastion?
3: What is Admiral Bosch's middle inital?
4: In what system was the NTC Fronde destroyed?
5: What system is the 12th Terran Fleet based in?
6: What year was the first Hatshepsut-class destroyer commissioned in?
7: What characteristic of the GTW-7 Banshee gives it its name?
8: What GTVA fleet did Admiral Bosch have control of before the NTF was announced?
9: What system has three jump nodes clustered very close to each other? (forming a triangle with about 4000m-long sides)
10: What type of ship is the Mycerinus?

nuclear1's second quiz:

1) What was the first race attacked by the Shivans?
2) In the first mission you encounter Shivans in FS1, what is your only chance of destroying a fighter or bomber?
3) Four Destroyers blockaded different jump nodes to Vasuda Prime. Which ones blockaded the Antares-Vasuda node?
4) Despite the Alliance's efforts, the Shivans devastated Vasuda Prime. Which GTA destroyer assisted with the Exodus of Vasudan refugees?
5) How many Meson Bombs (in all) were used in FS2 alone (not including custom missions)?
6) What actually caused the destruction of the Sol Jump Node (What part of the Lucifer.)?
7) What was the last H.O.L destroyer encountered by Alpha Wing?
8) In the custom mission "The Trap", which Demon-class destroyer emerges from subspace into the trap with hull integrity at 35?
9) What is the name of the mission where you first encounter the Iceni?
10) In the mission following the first encounter with the Iceni, who does Bosch command to "engage hyperdrive"?

LOA--The Rock's quiz:

1) In the mission "Surrender, Belisarius!" long-range sensors detected the Vasudan convoy how far from Deneb?
2) Why was production on the Prometheus S halted?
3) Enemy fighters sometimes mistake a GVFr Satis for what other ships?
4) Under what convention and section was the Colossus specs protected under? (cutscene)
5) When did Vasudan Emperor Khonsu II dissolve the Vasudan Parliament?
6) When was the Beta Aquilae Convention (BETAC) signed?
7) In FS1, how many worlds outside of Sol have been colonized by the GTA? How many outposted have been established?
8) What nickname was given to the GTB Athena?
9) During what battle was the PVF Anubis first sighted?
10) What major difference is there between the GTS Centaru and the PVS Scarab?

My second quiz:

1: What destroyer is the 33rd Squadron based on?
2: How many distinct land masses (continents) does Vasuda Prime have?
3: What missile was the successor to the Synaptic but dropped out of service by the time FS2 took place?
4: Who was the captain of the HLD Tanis?
5: How many planets were in the Capella system?
6: How many natural satellites does Vasuda Prime have?
7: Where was the old Hammer of Light headquarters located during FS1?
8: What was the nickname that pilots gave to the GTF Hercules?
9: What is the payload (in kilotons) of the GTM-4 Hornet? (each missile)
10: What percentage of the 6th Fleet was wiped out in Epsilon Pegasi before the tide of the battle shifted in favor of the GTVA?

Lets see if anyone gets a full score without looking up the answers...

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
That is so, so sad.    

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/
the answer to all those questions is grapefruit
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/

Originally posted by CP5670:
What destroyer was lost at the Battle of Deneb?

don't start  
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline adwight

• Neo-Terran
  • Go Gators!
1) What was the first race attacked by the Shivans?
Ancients, as far as we know.

2) In the first mission you encounter Shivans in FS1, what is your only chance of destroying a fighter or bomber?
Furies/Wingmen(Ordering them to engage enemy)/ML-16 Laser

3) Four Destroyers blockaded different jump nodes to Vasuda Prime. Which ones blockaded the Antares-Vasuda node?
This ones easy:  The Intrepid and Minnow

4) Despite the Alliance's efforts, the Shivans devastated Vasuda Prime. Which GTA destroyer assisted with the Exodus of Vasudan refugees?
The Hope?

5) How many Meson Bombs (in all) were used in FS2 alone (not including custom missions)?
I believe 3

6) What actually caused the destruction of the Sol Jump Node (What part of the Lucifer.)?
The Front half of the Lucifer that made it through the node exploded and cause a subspace cataclysm.
7) What was the last H.O.L destroyer encountered by Alpha Wing?
The Anvil Mission:  Black Omega I believe

8) In the custom mission "The Trap", which Demon-class destroyer emerges from subspace into the trap with hull integrity at 35?
I think its the Aggressive

9) What is the name of the mission where you first encounter the Iceni?
The Place of Chariots
10) In the mission following the first encounter with the Iceni, who does Bosch command to "engage hyperdrive"?
"Helm, engage subspace drive."

I would like my score, please post it.
Neo-Terra Victorious

The Lightning Marshall

158th Banshee Squadron

Gay people are rejects who can't get girls. Period. -DragonClaw
Can I have sex with it yet? -KnightTemplar

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4

Originally posted by adwight:

Er... this could be anywhere between 5 and 500, the destroyers collapsing the nodes were supposed to have multiple, I believe...

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/

Originally posted by Stryke 9:
Er... this could be anywhere between 5 and 500, the destroyers collapsing the nodes were supposed to have multiple, I believe...

well, if he meant how many times do you see the model its 3, but as for the mesons, it was 100 per destroyer i think, so 203
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Okay, I didn't write that quiz but I'm going to see if I can get the answers and give a score:

8/9; great job.  

7 would be the HLD Tanis.   5 is a controversial question since the Bastion and Nereid were both loaded with several of those things before detonating, so I left that one out.

don't start  

hey I didn't write that one...  

I bet nobody can get all of the questions on the last quiz...   (my second one)

[This message has been edited by CP5670 (edited 01-29-2002).]

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki

Originally posted by CP5670:
7 would be the HLD Tanis.

Oops, no. The PVD Prophecy jumps in RIGHT in front of you in the FS1 mission "The Chase." It's so memorable!

------------------
"An evil mind is a constant comfort."
Revisit the Great War at The Freespace-Freespace 2 Port Project
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Originally posted by adwight:2) In the first mission you encounter Shivans in FS1, what is your only chance of destroying a fighter or bomber?
Furies/Wingmen(Ordering them to engage enemy)/ML-16 Laser

[/B]

That's one wrong... the ML-16 doesn't penetrate shields, as far as i remember

Originally posted by vadar_1:
the answer to all those questions is grapefruit

no, i think it's chicken

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Quiz 1
1. The Angel Scout fighter
2. GTD Intrepid; McCarthy was a Lieutenant
3. Aken H. Bosch, Neo-Terran Front
4. the Egyptians (they strongly identify with them, especially the Egyptians' longevity)
5. Intersystem and intrasystem
6. GTD Galatea. There was also that one in the FS2 intro cutscene, which was not the Galatea, but we're not certain what it was called.
7. Clash of the Titans
8. GTVA Colossus; 45 laser turets
9. Meson bomb (duh)
10. Delta wing (flying Ursa bombers); the aftermath was the loss of contact with Sol and the killing of the Delta-Sol node.
11. GTD Bastion
12. There is no 3rd fleet based in Capella.  
13. The Shivans did it, but no one knows how.
14. Harbinger bomb
15. 8 squadrons, but I'm not sure how many wings that is.

Quiz 2
1. Mekhu and Sahr
2. 10, I think
3. H
4. Polaris
5. I have no clue.
6. 2360
7. The fact that in an atmosphere, it makes a 180 Db sound like a quasi-human scream.
8. 6th
9. Alpha Centauri
10. GVC Mentu class

Quiz 3
1. No one knows how long the Shivans have been alive, so we don't know
2. The best way is using tons of Furies, but I've done it with me and my wingmates shooting off all our MX50's before.
3. GTD Intrepid and GTD Minnow. At least, before the Vasudan fleet in Vega got beaten up by the HOL and one of those destroyers joined them.
4. GTD Bastion
5. 3 were used in mission, and an unknown number more were used in the Bastion and the Nereid when they went to collapse their respective nodes.
6. The rear half, aka the "abdomen"
7. In FS1, it's the PVD Prophecy. I'm not sure which one it is in the Templar campaign, I can't remember.
8. I have no idea.
9. The Place of Chariots
10. The Iceni's helm officer

Quiz 4
1. 150,000 km, I think
2. Because we ran out of argon, which there isn't much of outside of Sol (at least within GTVA space).
3. A Ma'at or Bes
4. Deneb convention, don't remember the section
5. 2339
6. 2345
7. 14 worlds; I don't think an exact number of outposts is given.
8. The "Lightning Bomber"
9. It doesn't say, but it says where the Anubis was first used as a kamikaze weapon: the battle of Rexias 4, where some kamikaze Anubises blew up the GTD Goliath.
10. The Scarab is unmanned.

Quiz 5
1. GVD Memphis
2. 2
3. Havoc
4. I have no idea. Damn Templar questions.
5. 6 or 7, I don't remember
6. None
7. Altair, specifically at the shipyards there, where they liked to make Thoths.
8. I don't think they nicknamed the Herc. I know they called the Ulysses the "Bat", but I'm pretty sure they didn't nickname the Herc.
9. 12 KT i think.
10. 75.7% or 80.7%; i cant remember which
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom

Originally posted by Mystical:
That's one wrong... the ML-16 doesn't penetrate shields, as far as i remember

Actually, it does affect the shields, but not substantially. It's kinda useful once the shields have been brought down by the Furies tho.

"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Excellent!   You certainly know your FS facts well and are better than anyone who answered over at the VBB.  

Quiz 1: 14.5/15
12: I gave you a half point here since the question was phrased somewhat incorrectly. (it should have been "was", not "is") Anyway the answer is the GTD Aquitaine.

Quiz 2: 9/10
5: 2345

Quiz 3: 4/7
I dropped 1 and 5 since those questions have no clear answers. 8 was taken out since the mission is not an official one and most people have therefore probably not played it.
6: It is actually the front section and arms if you look in the FS ending
7: HLD Tanis

Quiz 4: 8/9
I didn't grade the first one since I do not know the answer to that myself.   Can anyone else confirm 150000?
7: 12 worlds, 15 outposts

Quiz 5: 5/10
(I took off a half for 4 and 10 each since one of your two answers was correct)
4: Admiral Iman
5: 6
6: 2
7: You got the system right, but it is the exact location that is the real challenge.   It was on Altair 5, located at the ruins of a temple-like structure that was probably constructed by the Ancients
8: "The Big Momma"
10: 75.1%

Anyway, great job!  

Oops, no. The PVD Prophecy jumps in RIGHT in front of you in the FS1 mission "The Chase." It's so memorable!

Actually the Tanis is from FS2's Operation Templar level 3 - "Breaking the Seal" - where you have to rescue those hostages. That part when the destroyer jumped in was quite dramatic though.

[This message has been edited by CP5670 (edited 01-29-2002).]

Originally posted by Mad Bomber:
Actually, it does affect the shields, but not substantially. It's kinda useful once the shields have been brought down by the Furies tho.

yes,
but HARLDY... you'd have to pound at the scorpions for hours before their shields go!

and... you have like a 2 minute limit before they jump out, and you miss the bonus point!
so you have to use furies...

NOTE:  just for reference, i don't know if it works in FS2, but it works in FS... if you're having trouble attacking targets that are 'hidden from sensors' then tell enemies to 'engage enemy'... they can target the 'hidden from sensors' but the player can't...
so when the AI are attacking it, then press the button (either 'V' or 'J') or something... it's the key that 'target target's target) (targets the ship that your target has targeted)... and it will target the 'hidden' ship...  if you don't understand, i understand, but it's fairly handy to use!  

All but one of the Shivan fighters jump out, allowing you to eliminate it. At least that what I always found. Also has anyone managed to get the Plato to the node. I did once and it just sat there before going boom. Shame really.

------------------
'Honour the valiant who fall beneath your sword, but pity the warrior who slays all his foes.' - G'trok, in the poem lu geng

'Well, since the whole loaf won't be mine, I will settle for whatever slices fall my way.' - Mazrim Taim

Why not visit the Time of Change website?
'Honour the valiant who fall beneath your sword, but pity the warrior who slays all his foes' - G'trok, in the poem lu geng

'Clarification is not to make oneself clear, it is to put oneself in the clear.' - Sir Humphrey Appleby

Why not visit the Time of Change website?

Or perhaps my own website - Telencephalon

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Here's a quiz of mine  

1. What is the name of the Vasudan corvette in the mission where the Colossus is destroyed?
2. In what system was the NTD Vasa destroyed?
3. What was the medical ship that transferred wounded out of 3rd Fleet HQ in the mission "Dunkerque" called?
4. How many anticap beams does the Rakshasa normally have?
5. What is the maximum cruising speed of a Mentu-class cruiser?
6. What is the name of the lieutenant aboard the Iceni who speaks to Command in SM3-03?
7. What NTF squadron does Alpha 1 end up flying in when he is going undercover for the SOC?
8. When the Colossus goes into Polaris from Epsilon Pegasi, it destroyed two vessels. Name them.
9. What callsign does Snipes use in his encoded message to Command from the NTC Alexandria?
10. How many Vasudan destroyers escape destruction at the hands of the HOL in Vega, before SM2-03 in FS1?

(Edit: I needed to be more specific for #10's question, so as to avoid confusion.)

[This message has been edited by Mad Bomber (edited 01-31-2002).]

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
1: GVCv Khepri
2: Capella
3: GTM Galen
4: 3 SReds
5: 35 m/s
6: Lieutenant Rusk
7: 185th
8: NTD Andronicus and NTC Camisard
9: Black Dove
10: no idea about this one really

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Completely correct, except for #10, which was 2.  

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki

Originally posted by Tar-Palantir:
All but one of the Shivan fighters jump out, allowing you to eliminate it. At least that what I always found. Also has anyone managed to get the Plato to the node. I did once and it just sat there before going boom. Shame really.

I've been messing around in that mission a lot- there are a whole bunch of hacks, like the one scorpion that can't jump, or the Taurus self-destructing. The Plato has its "depart" sexp set to False. That's why it never leaves.

------------------
"An evil mind is a constant comfort."
Revisit the Great War at The Freespace-Freespace 2 Port Project
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...