Author Topic: Republic Commando  (Read 7612 times)

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
I've heard that there was a commando squad that didnt do it and helped their jedi escape.
You heard right[/ubergeek].

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Uh... non-canon? I don't exactly think something read in a book is canon.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Evidently you know even less than I do about SW.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Loved it, but it fails for lack of mod support and no coop multiplayer.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

Evidently you know even less than I do about SW.

Probably, but then again I don't have very many Star Wars novels. :P

Also, didn't someone say to only look to the movies for canon information?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
Never played it, yet I really want to.  So I take its not a crappy Lucasarts game?

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Never played it, yet I really want to.  So I take its not a crappy Lucasarts game?

No, like KOTOR it actually is a good game, play it if possible.

I liked it. It was a Star Wars shooter that actually played like a shooter. I'm not saying the Jedi Knight games are bad, I like the JK games, but I don't see them as a typical shooter. I don't think anyone does once they get the lightsaber. I don't use anything other weapon once I do get it. And before you yell at me about battlefront, JK and Republic Commando came out before Battlefront.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Um, what are you on? Republic Commando was released in 2005. Battlefront was released in 2004.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
For those that havent played it yet... what are you waiting for? :D

Despite the unbalance in weaponry and all that stuff, Republic Commando is a symbol of creativity in the gaming scene. Not only it had a nifty gameplay and concept for an FPS, it also showed us something new about the Star Wars universe.

Like mentioned... only prob was being too goddamn freaking small :(
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

[uber-uber-geek]

Here, lemme clear up your n00bish lack of Star Wars knowledge....

Quote from: Desert Tyrant

Hell. No. For the first time (in a video game) we see the dark and gritty of the Republic. This is the darkest (and, ironically, the most realistic) Star Wars video game to be released.

Quote from: Cobra
Also, didn't someone say to only look to the movies for canon information?

There are two types of Star Wars canon. The ultimate is the George Lucas perspective. He hasn't read a single one of the books. The movies are HIS creation and that there are two Star Wars universes. One is his, just the movies, nothing else. The other is the novels, video games, comics, et cetera. So, there are your two variations of canonocity.

Quote from: Sarafan
I've heard that there was a commando squad that didnt do it and helped their jedi escape.

Remarkably, there were more than a few clone and regular troopers that saved their Jedi leaders. There were more than a few Jedi that survived Order 66. there were not many, however, that survived Darth Vader's Jedi Purge. Luke was not the last of the Jedi, merely the first of the New Jedi Order.

Quote from: Inquisitor
The transition from elite clone trooper commandos to Storm Troopers. The single player is a little on the lame side, but the interstitial story telling is decent.

No, they go to elite Stormtroopers (which are better than the lame-can't-hit-anything-worth-crap stormtroopers)

Quote from: Darth DySkO
I finished the game once only the pistol and the blade...

That's half the fun of the game....

Quote from: Prophet
And I always thought the weapons were a bit wussy.

You call a 5 rocket, homing, WOOKIEE-sized rocket launcher WUSSY! Can I have some of your secret stash?

Quote from: Mefustae
Loved it. Both the music and gameplay were excellent by any standards, and beyond excellent compared to most SW games.

Meh, they were okay in comparison to most Star Wars games. It felt a little too restrictive (like Halo). The modifiable DC-17m didn't modify too much and didn't have an under-the-muzzle grenade launcher (much like the M203). Yes, I know the AA was cool, but to sacrifice the firepower of the DC-17m dulled what could have been an excellent weapon. A meh game with a great concept that COULD have been up there with KOTOR or TIE fighter.

Quote from: d3r3k
I didn't like the plot because, ya know, it was nonexistent though.

Did we play the same game? They were the ones that made it possible to invade Kashyyyk.....

[/uber-uber-geek] :hopping:

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline brozozo

• Used to be d3r3k.
    • MySpace
Did we play the same game? They were the ones that made it possible to invade Kashyyyk.....

Apparently so. All I played was some action game with three, unconnected groups of missions.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I for one thourghly enjoyed RepComm for me it was the first game to make a serious go at presenting ground combat in Star Wars as realistic and hectic.  The droids in Rep Comm were significantly more menacing then the 'roger roger' clowns from the new movies.  In fact all the enemies were pretty good, i loved having a minute long fire fight with a single Super.  Plus the viewscreen washer was always a nice touch ;)

The Clone Wars through the eyes of Delta Sqaud was a lot better then the actual movies
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Apparently so. All I played was some action game with three, unconnected groups of missions.

Are you sure your last name isn't "Smart"? If it is, you aren't living up to your name...

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

This is the darkest (and, ironically, the most realistic) Star Wars video game to be released.

Realistic + Star Wars = oxymoron.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline brozozo

• Used to be d3r3k.
    • MySpace

Are you sure your last name isn't "Smart"? If it is, you aren't living up to your name...

Oh, you're clever.

Now go **** off. I'm tired of my name being mentioned in reference to Mr. Smart and his antics. I can take a joke, but being funny is a prerequisite for that.

It's been nearly two years since I've played the game. My recollection is hazy, but all I can remember is a tenuous, at best, connection between the missions on the Prosecutor and Kashyyyk.

There was a 200 to 300 day gap between the two missions. There was only your intel and the new slave trade on Kashyyyk that made them send you to Kashyyyk. Don't you listen to your CO?

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

Offline brozozo

• Used to be d3r3k.
    • MySpace
Don't you listen to your CO?

Oh, you're clever.

Now go **** off. I'm tired of my name being mentioned in reference to Mr. Smart and his antics. I can take a joke, but being funny is a prerequisite for that.

It's been nearly two years since I've played the game. My recollection is hazy, but all I can remember is a tenuous, at best, connection between the missions on the Prosecutor and Kashyyyk.

Don't you read my posts?

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
It would have been a little difficult to directly link three entirely separate missions set at different points throughout over a year or war. Furthermore, it would have been equally difficult to accurately portray the Clone Wars if they set the campaign missions over a short, yet easily related, period.

I'll agree, they could have tied it together a bit better, but given that they set the campaign out over three mini-campaigns set months apart, I believe the designers did very well. The environments were varied, there was a coherent and progressive storyline within each mission, and for a genre with little variety of gameplay, they kept it from getting too repetitive.

Offline brozozo

• Used to be d3r3k.
    • MySpace
It would have been a little difficult to directly link three entirely separate missions set at different points throughout over a year or war. Furthermore, it would have been equally difficult to accurately portray the Clone Wars if they set the campaign missions over a short, yet easily related, period.

I'll agree, they could have tied it together a bit better, but given that they set the campaign out over three mini-campaigns set months apart, I believe the designers did very well. The environments were varied, there was a coherent and progressive storyline within each mission, and for a genre with little variety of gameplay, they kept it from getting too repetitive.

This man speaks the truth. I think I came off a little bit too critical Republic Commando. I just wish there would have been some more cohesiveness between the three campaigns.