Author Topic: The Plan™ (AKA: Our Future)  (Read 27124 times)

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
The Plan™ (AKA: Our Future)
Hello all.

Recently there have been some behind the scenes discussion regarding the direction of HLP, how to identify that direction and how to provide the best possible service around here.

Some changes have been made.

To you people, this won't mean anything... yet. Some preparation has yet to be completed.

However this post is not entirely without meaning. We're looking to focus and improve HLP. In time, we'll be looking for your input. Whether you're a modder, a campaign creator, a fan of FreeSpace or just John Doe - here for the community... we'll be wanting to hear what you want from this place. In the mean time, please rest assured that stagnation is not on the agenda.

The first change has already been made. We've identified that one of our chief problems was that of talking too much and not acting. This has bought about a change in the way HLP is operated. From here on out, through agreement from the administration, I'll be taking up the reigns as Operations Manager or HLP.

In the scheme of things, this pretty much makes me the equivalent of a Prime Minister. I'll be making sure the staff know what they should be doing, that if they're busy we can put plans in place to cope with that whilst continuing to improve... that sort of thing. Most importantly I want to stress that this does not make HLP a dictatorship. The input of everyone involved is still very much a part of the decision making process. In the simplest terms - I'll be there to prod things along and keep us on the right foot.

If anyone has any need to contact me, please don't hesitate to do so. I'd prefer use of the PM function as I'm most likely to check those first, but I can also be contacted using ICQ "57179504" if necessary.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 04:23:53 am by Kalfireth »

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Re: The Plan™ (AKA: Our Future)
You should have called yourself the "Supervisory Administrator". (Almost) Worked for me. :D
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Dysko

As soon as I saw this thread I thought just at your attempted "coup", Black Wolf... :)
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
"So this is how freedom dies: to thunderous applause."

j/k :p
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
As soon as I saw this thread I thought just at your attempted "coup", Black Wolf... :)

Not a coup. A peaceful transfer of power. :D
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Dysko

Not a coup. A peaceful transfer of power. :D
"So this is how freedom dies: to thunderous applause."
Exactly what I was thinking of :lol:
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
If you think I'm about to start using a Palpatine avatar, you're sorely mistaken :p

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
because HAL 9000 is so much more comforting :nervous:
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Not quite, it's the HLP 9000, designed specifically to deal with all known Daves ;)

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Including DaveB ;)

Anyway, I rather like it. It was this or something from Hot Fuzz :)

Hello all.

Recently there have been some behind the scenes discussion regarding the direction of HLP, how to identify that direction and how to provide the best possible service around here.

Some changes have been made.

To you people, this won't mean anything... yet. Some preparation has yet to be completed.

However this post is not entirely without meaning. We're looking to focus and improve HLP. In time, we'll be looking for your input. Whether you're a modder, a campaign creator, a fan of FreeSpace or just John Doe - here for the community... we'll be wanting to hear what you want from this place. In the mean time, please rest assured that stagnation is not on the agenda.

The first change has already been made. We've identified that one of our chief problems was that of talking too much and not acting. This has bought about a change in the way HLP is operated. From here on out, through agreement from the administration, I'll be taking up the reigns as Operations Manager or HLP.

In the scheme of things, this pretty much makes me the equivalent of a Prime Minister. I'll be making sure the staff know what they should be doing, that if they're busy we can put plans in place to cope with that whilst continuing to improve... that sort of thing. Most importantly I want to stress that this does not make HLP a dictatorship. The input of everyone involved is still very much a part of the decision making process. In the simplest terms - I'll be there to prod things along and keep us on the right foot.

If anyone has any need to contact me, please don't hesitate to do so. I'd prefer use of the PM function as I'm most likely to check those first, but I can also be contacted using ICQ "57179504" if necessary.

I'm not trying to make a dig here but the whole statement sounds hypocritical. You don't actually mention anything about what you're going to do or how this affects anyone whatsoever: it's fluff and devoid of content.

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
That's because I don't want to start making promises and have everyone expect the planned changes to happen overnight.

What I'm doing right now is working out what admins are available and what skills they can bring forward. Once that's done we're going to start looking at what needs work.

I'm deliberately not being more specific than that because people will start wanting to discuss even these first steps and we won't get anywhere. For now, simply settle back and let me get on with what I'm getting on with :)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Oh perfect :)

Karajorma For Administrator?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
*applauds thunderously*
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
What changes are you planning on making, Kali?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Karajorma will be an Admin. I don't know the rest...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
What on earth makes you think that?

Not that Kara isn't capable of being an admin, but right now that's not even being discussed so I'm not sure where you're coming up with the idea.

thesizzler, right now we're not looking at any specific changes. A plan (yes, Plan™) has been created detailing a step by step process towards improving the site - a number of those steps are "grey areas" with improvements and changes as yet unidentified. As I've said, right now my concern is to perform a roll call of active staff and take things from there.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
So you are going to see what major members are still active in the community and see what you can do from there?

That doesn't sound like much...

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
So you are going to see what major members are still active in the community and see what you can do from there?

That doesn't sound like much...

Works better than relying on the members who aren't active anymore in the community. :p
-C

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I didn't say "major members", I said "staff".

But I'm intrigued now. Several people have said "that doesn't sound like much" so I'm going to go ahead and ask you a question.

What were you expecting? :)

And please don't answer with "I dunno... just... more". That's a waste of time. It sounds like you guys thought I was going to announce something epic and who knows, maybe we could work towards that. But you'll have to be a bit more forthcoming with what you were expecting.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 05:12:08 am by Kalfireth »