Author Topic: Backing keys and axes mapping for multiple mods and total conversions ???  (Read 1310 times)

Backing keys and axes mapping for multiple mods and total conversions ???
Hi everybody :cool: !

I'm new to this board and FS2 in general. I tried a few missions in the standard FS2 campaign (using the FS Open 3.
6.9 exe) and modified the key and axes bindings to my will. I also tried, just for the sake of trying at the moment, some mods (there are just toooooo many of them :eek2: ) like the FS1 port and finally the Battlestar Galactica BtRL demo total conversion. For those mods, I'd like to get back the key and axes mapping I did for the standard FS2 campaign.
The little search I performed in this forum tells me this mapping is within the pilot profile, consisting of two files in [FS_root_path]data\players\single ... but the file containing the key mapping seems to also contain campaign information so that it's incompatible with other mods/total conversions.
Did I get it right? Am I missing something ? Is there another way to back up my key and axes bindings for multiple use ? Thank you in advance :yes: !

Ho, and by the way, A BIG THANK YOU  :D to all the modders-coders-etc for their amazing work :eek: !
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov - Foundation

Offline miskat

Re: Backing keys and axes mapping for multiple mods and total conversions ???
 The trick is simple, really.  When you activate the mod and enter the game, don't make a new pilot.  Clone the old one.  That preserves all custom keymaps and axis maps.  Just be careful not to use the same pilot, as I've heard that can cause problems.

Edit: Just to tack this on here: the clone function will not copy over any campaign information to the new pilot.  Only keybindings and axis bindings.

Tsk tsk stk ... I thought about that "cloning" thing and then told to mylself : it will just duplicate anything in the pilot files .... silly me :o !!!
Thank you very much, it just works as you said  :yes: :D
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov - Foundation

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Good, now you have that sorted........................

:welcome:

:p :yes:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Wobble73, you're starting to piss me off! :lol:

Welcome to the HLPBB, Sparfell!
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Wobble73, you're starting to piss me off! :lol:

Welcome to the HLPBB, Sparfell!

That was not my intention honest  :o

:drevil: Or was it????!!!! :P
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
You can also make a pilot with whatever name you want to use and not start a campaign.  Then keep a backup of that "pure" player file for emergencies.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]