Author Topic: Blizzard's new game  (Read 5443 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Well, if you can't afford it, then just don't buy it.  There are obviously millions of other people who are cheerfully paying their fee every month.  If Blizzard's able to get so many people to play a game and rack up such big profits in the process, more power to 'em.  Last time I checked, the concept of supplying a product for a certain price that people are willing to pay is just an example of a little something called "capitalism."

That being said, WoW's gameplay style doesn't interest me, but I have been paying a monthly subscription fee to Gametap for the past few months, largely to play Myst Online, so I'm definitely not averse to the whole business model.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
I can't speak for others...its not about affording something...its about the subscription model versus value for the money and the model doesn't work for people like me.  Can't devote the time, don't want to devote the time, otherwise I wouldn't mind playing something like World of WarCraft.

Not sure what the resistance is but I feel completely justified in criticizing the model in terms of my own interests and perceptions of value for the money.  Yet another capitalistic realm :)
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
BUMP!!! :bump:

Ok so it looks like this may be moving out of the joke category and into a fact. 

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=25594825&sid=6169864&action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0

While incredibly vague, there is signs that we may finally be getting Starcraft 2 (come on, why else would you launch your new game in the land of all things starcraft?).  but with nothing more official then the fact that a new game is going to be announced May 19, 20...  I expect we'll see rumors flying around

anyone else come across anything?
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Well, if you can't afford it, then just don't buy it.  There are obviously millions of other people who are cheerfully paying their fee every month.  If Blizzard's able to get so many people to play a game and rack up such big profits in the process, more power to 'em.  Last time I checked, the concept of supplying a product for a certain price that people are willing to pay is just an example of a little something called "capitalism."

But..havn't you checked lately? Capitalism sucks.....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Well, if you can't afford it, then just don't buy it.
Sound advice on paper, but in a world where single player computer games cost between £20 and £50 or so (approximately) as a one time cost, surely you can see that's not much comfort for those that might want to play these games if it weren't for the subscription fee?

Lets see now... $15 times 12 (months) is $180
Lets say a game has been out for five years at that price... that's $900.
Each.
For every single person that plays these games.
And in the case of WoW and so on, thats a lot of people. Lets suppose that only 5000 people play the game for five years...
$900 times 5000 is $4,500,000

I'd be interested to see the maths on keeping a single WoW server running for five years? I'm willing to bet it's nowhere near that amount of money...

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
thankfully in eve online, you can pay for gametime with game money ;)
I hate My signature!

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?

But..havn't you checked lately? Capitalism sucks.....

Yea, because communism is so much better :rolleyes:

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
I'm with IceFire on this one. I was really excited for Phantasy Star Universe because I remember having a good amount of fun playing Phantasy Star Online with friends.. but then I found out PSU's only multiplayer option was pay to play. I've yet to pick up the game solely for this reason. Pay $15 a month to play just doesn't work for me I guess.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
Re: Blizzard's new game
the definitive ranking

monthly payments =  :no:
one time purchase = if we must
free games =  :yes:
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Re: Blizzard's new game
Its as simple as this Blizzard is becoming a new EA... on the bad things. Their best teams\staff left quite some time ago (some went and made Flagship Studios, the rest went for ArenaNet). Imo Blizzard lost their originality, and game superiority... their just falling into decadence (game making originality I mean... not financial :P), and WoW proves just that, as well as vapouring Starcraft Ghost.

As for the monthly fees to play WoW, I can only say its a fairly large amount of rubbish.
I play Guildwars... I payed for the game once, and dont have to bother about it ever again. I can play today, and play again after 1 year without playing. The player base is as big as WoWs, the servers work just as fine, and we get our updates regularly.
Only things I had to pay for were the stand alone expansions, and I only payed for them if I wanted obviously (if I didnt buy them, I just wouldnt have access to some content), which used to come out every 6 months, the final one is being released this summer, and then its 3 years untill GW2. :P

Even funnier is that even with the paying for "server upkeep", Blizzard still manages to have problems with players accounts, from what I hear from players.

Heck the choice is easy :P
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.