Author Topic: The Velocity MOD too tame for you? Then try Acceleration!  (Read 5310 times)

Offline Grey Wolf

The Velocity MOD too tame for you? Then try Acceleration!
 http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/gtdwolf/acceleration.exe
Install in your tables folder. Instead of only 2x the normal speed like Velocity, this MOD runs at 15x the normal speed, fast enough for you to travel 80km in ~1 min. in the Perseus. Feel the rush  

[This message has been edited by Grey Wolf 2009 (edited 02-01-2002).]
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Grey Wolf

Oh yeah, did I mention that Subachs firing at 9000 m/s and with their normal mass really hurts?  
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
*shudder*
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

Offline Grey Wolf

You scared?

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
I said no to crack cocaine, I can say no to Acceleration..must..resist..
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

Offline Grey Wolf

Give in, Alikchi! It is your destiny!

Offline Dark_4ce

• GTVA comedy relief
SPEEED! WAHOOO!! I'm gonna try and make a mission where I'll set up some hoops or slalom asteroids. Like an intergalactic racing mission. Then apply this mod! Eheheheh...  
I have returned... Again...

Offline Kitsune

Laser, flying, 9000ms...  Was it ever decided whether speeds were in meters or kilometers?  There was a big debate on this at vbb...  
I mean, if I were to hop in my Ursa and cruise around at a leisurely 50 meters per second, then I would be doing 180kmh?!  
That's only 111mph for us americans.

However, if we made it all kilometers, that'd be overkill...  50km/s would be 180,000km/s, or around 11,100 mph.
It'd be really anime-ish though.  Zinging by huge ships in a blink, god, we'd have to make bombs heat seekers or dumbfire only.  Because in the 15 seconds it takes to get a lock, a bomber doing 50kms...  Well, would be 750km on the other side of the destroyer!   If you thought combat was a pain before, now that ursa's doing 16% of the speed of light (unless the time of night caused me to get miles/sec and miles/hour backwards again).  Or roughtly mach 14.  (measured at Sound=760mph, of which it's variable according to altitude and other such mess).

But a speed mod would be nice to increase general speeds to realistic levels, maybe 5x what they are now...   After raising speeds for everything aspect weapon lock times would have to be reduced, all locking missles would have to get better turning radii...
~Space Kitsuné
6-Tailed RPG Nut.

"Why the hell don't we have any missles on this damn boat?!"
"But Sir, we have Tempests, Rockeyes, and unknown bombs."
"Like I said ensign, 'Why don't we have any missles on this damn boat?!"

"I went to a fight last night and a hockey game broke out."  -Groucho Marx

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?

Originally posted by Kitsune:
Laser, flying, 9000ms...  Was it ever decided whether speeds were in meters or kilometers?  There was a big debate on this at vbb...  
I mean, if I were to hop in my Ursa and cruise around at a leisurely 50 meters per second, then I would be doing 180kmh?!  
That's only 111mph for us americans.

However, if we made it all kilometers, that'd be overkill...  50km/s would be 180,000km/s, or around 11,100 mph.
It'd be really anime-ish though.  Zinging by huge ships in a blink, god, we'd have to make bombs heat seekers or dumbfire only.  Because in the 15 seconds it takes to get a lock, a bomber doing 50kms...  Well, would be 750km on the other side of the destroyer!     If you thought combat was a pain before, now that ursa's doing 16% of the speed of light (unless the time of night caused me to get miles/sec and miles/hour backwards again).  Or roughtly mach 14.  (measured at Sound=760mph, of which it's variable according to altitude and other such mess).

But a speed mod would be nice to increase general speeds to realistic levels, maybe 5x what they are now...   After raising speeds for everything aspect weapon lock times would have to be reduced, all locking missles would have to get better turning radii...

I don't see the point of discussing wether it's meters or km... Really, are the VBB guys blind? Put an orion in a mission, make it stay still, then fly along it at full speed. if it's km, you'll zip next to in a couple of seconds. Is that the case? No. Problem solved.
Anyway: GreyWolf, did you shorten the locking time for bombs? It was the only pb left for the velocity mod: they (the bombs) were shot much closer to the target, and as they flew twice faster... Was a pain to intercept.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Where's Sushi? Ahhhh, I miss the other white meat.  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Nico

• Venom

Originally posted by Setekh:
Where's Sushi? Ahhhh, I miss the other white meat.  

hey, he's around, now it's sushi mk2  

SCREW CANON!

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
WAKE UP CALL!
Try turning on time compression. It doesn't change any tables or anything. Just press shift+, to speed it up and shift+. to slow it down, up to 4x speed. (Or is it the other way around?)

------------------
"An evil mind is a constant comfort."
Revisit the Great War at The Freespace-Freespace 2 Port Project
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Grey Wolf

Originally posted by venom2506:
Anyway: GreyWolf, did you shorten the locking time for bombs? It was the only pb left for the velocity mod: they (the bombs) were shot much closer to the target, and as they flew twice faster... Was a pain to intercept.
I just did. I actually shortened the turning times and locking times for all secondaries. The download location is the same as before.

[This message has been edited by Grey Wolf 2009 (edited 02-02-2002).]

Offline Grey Wolf

Originally posted by GalacticEmperor:
WAKE UP CALL!
Try turning on time compression. It doesn't change any tables or anything. Just press shift+, to speed it up and shift+. to slow it down, up to 4x speed. (Or is it the other way around?)

Yes, but in this and velocity, the capships still move slow.

Offline Nico

• Venom
plus it doesn't play the same, and try to dogfight with a dragon at 4X ...
SCREW CANON!

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Brrr... I can just see the "Bearbaiting" mission at 15x speed...

Offline TheVirtu

• Firedancer
    • http://autoassault.edgegaming.com
All I can say is...

"DIVE DIVE DI.......ahpppssssssstttt"

------------------
Head of the Coming Beyond Campaign for FS2.
Thirteen years after Capella, beginning in Tau Sigma, aboard the GTD Messana... A deadly alliance of races appears for the reason of the destruction of the GTVA as we know it. Can you stop the coming of Beyond?
Project Leader of the Ascension of Beyond Campaign
"There was a time of peace, this time is over, peace will be paid for in blood."
Site Director of the Auto Assault Outpost- http://autoassault.edgegaming.com
Site Director of the Darkspace Connection - http://www.3dap.com/darkspace
Former Webmaster of i82.co.uk - Shut Down 2/12/03
"If HLP wants your developing, they'll promote you to Senior Engineer, now shutup and focus!" - Shi
Think of the Coke machines! What did they ever do to you![/b]

Offline Nico

• Venom

Originally posted by TheVirtu:
All I can say is...

"DIVE DIVE DI.......ahpppssssssstttt"

Nah, as caps fly the same speed, would actually be easier to dodge it  

SCREW CANON!

Hehehehehehe  

Just one question: How do you get out of that thing where it self destructs your ship at 80km? This is where the idea of the Micromod could be useful... that way, you could get this kind of insane speed, without exceeding the hard-coded limits.

This reminds me of the early days in FS1... experimenting with the possiblilities.  

And by the way, there is a version of the V-mod that does include capships: Version 2.0 instead of 3.0 includes TBLs that modify the capships too. Make no mistake, it was fun, but it didn't make it into the final release because it broke the timing on too many pre-built missions.  
If you want to try it, feel free!

Good stuff, Wolf.  

Offline Grey Wolf

It's a cube, correct? Start at one corner of the cube, an cut across to the opposite corner. The only problems I had with that was I mean to test handling in an asteroid heavy enviroment and FS2 can't handle more that 256 asteroids. Not that many for a 50x50km cube.