Author Topic: Who's the resident T-V War anorak?  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Killfrenzy

• Slaughter-class cruiser
  • Randomly Existing
Who's the resident T-V War anorak?
My brain has spouted some ideas, which I want to go over with the resident expert on all things related to the T-V war, especially the last year or so prior to the arrival of the Shivans.

Don't want to go into too much detail at this stage as it's embryonic. :)
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
-Tomoe Hotaru (Sailor Saturn
------------
Founder of Shadows of Lylat

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
Re: Who's the resident T-V War anorak?
I might be about as close as you're going to get in terms of an expert on that war, but honestly, we know very little about the war in general.  Even the last year is sketchy at best.  We know right before the Shivans showed up, there was a major offensive by the GTA at Vega, and they were beaten back, even though the Vasudans were hurt pretty bad.  Not much else is known.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Vasudan supply lines were cut off but they had a strong foothold on Vasuda Prime.

It seemed that the GTA would win at the time we enter the game.

Offline Killfrenzy

• Randomly Existing
Right....

One of the things I'm wanting to do is hammer out Operation Thresher into something coherent. All we know is that it was a direct assault on Vasuda via Antares.

I would suspect that the first part involved control of the Antares - > Vasuda node, which occured without much problem. It was the attack on the heavily defended Vasuda system that ranked up losses.

That's my take on it anyway. :)

@Eishtmo: Can I PM you to go through some stuff? :)
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
------------

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
Yeah, no problem.

Honestly, when it comes to that war, you can do just about anything you want.  I did have a brief, accurate timeline for the war somewhere in this forum (too lazy to look for it myself), but there is so little to go on, you have a lot of lattitude.

---------

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
On a lark I came up with weapons that would have been used by both sides from around the middle of the war (2327) up through the end. Tables, tech entries and all.

Yeah, I was bored. But PM me if you're interested, Killfrenzy.
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Right....

One of the things i'm wanting to do is hammer out Operation Thresher into something coherent. All we know is that it was a direct assault on Vasuda via Antares.

I would suspect that the first part involved control of the Antares - > Vasuda node, which occured without much problem. It was the attack on the heavily defended Vasuda system that ranked up losses.
My take on Operation Thresher was the GTA trying a strategy of constant assaults against Vasudan outposts and vessels, 'leapfrogging' across the system in a fashion not unlike the blades of the eponymous thresher. GTA forces would bash through the node into Vasuda and break up into several separate units, each representing the different blades of a thresher. The first unit would attack the nearest outpost, the second would attack the next closest, the third the next, and so on until they ran out of spare units. They would time the attacks precisely so that by the time the furthest unit along is into their attack, the first unit would have finished their attack, rearmed and be ready to jump along to the next Vasudan outpost/fleet in the area. The idea being to blitzkrieg across the system, keeping the Vasudans on the defense and maximising confusion among their fleet.

Since it didn't work, obviously someone met more than they could handle or just plain cocked-up. After all, the strategy would be damned vulnerable if just one unit was held up or simply wiped out, as it would slow the whole advance and allow the Vasudans time to regroup and marshall their forces for a counterattack. That's how you could explain the high casualty rate: With GTA units spread out to all hell and back, a coordinated Vasudan counterattack would be able to pick them off without any trouble at all.

Oh, and I usually refer to this whenever I mention something from the TVW era.

Offline Killfrenzy

• Randomly Existing
Well, I'm not planning on having anything heavily TV War centred. The first few missions will be TV War, but then we'll have a bunch of Great War missions. Don't want to give too much away though. :)

Anyone who's interested in telling some of the unknown stories of 2335, let me know. :)
------------

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
Oh, and I usually refer to this whenever I mention something from the TVW era.

That's the one I made up, mostly for my own projects.  Try this one instead:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,19567.0.html

That is as accurate as you can get for all of Freespace.

---------