Poll

Is it believable that the Ts and Vs could develop so similarly despite both starting at single celled organisms?

Yes, Ja, Oui
35 (59.3%)
No, Nein, Non
24 (40.7%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: Terrans and Vasudans: Too similar?  (Read 30712 times)

Offline KappaWing

• Lost in the nebula
Re: Terrans and Vasudans: Too similar?
Hail fishies.

Can anyone say total thread disintegration? :(

(Not singling you out, BW, you were a good contributor.  :) )

Personally I do think that although the humanoid biped is a good shape, there are others that I'm sure could work just as well which we are not thinking of. Also consider that they could be made of different material. This would certainly influence the design.

I appreciate the thought some of you guys put into the thread. Really helped me to see a few points.  :)

And Char, if you dont have anything constructive to say, please kindly step out. :blah:
"Your efforts to interdict me have failed, papacy. Pentagon, engage propaganda drive."
"Now, Protestant scum, you will see the power of this fully armed and operational Papal Station!"

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Not another evolutionist hijack. Seriously. Save that for the correct thread.

And where is the lonely bastard who normaly quotes me to say i was wrong. You ppl make me sick.

EDIT: And for another counter-hijack, what do you guys speculate Vasudans evolved from? Fish? Crabs? Rocks?
You forgot blueberry muffins. ;7
Boy I can find some good uses for that smilie.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Not another evolutionist hijack. Seriously. Save that for the correct thread.

It's not a evolutionist hijack. The entire bloody thread was about evolution. Trashman is the one who can't understand that fact. So it's a Trashman hijack.

Lets ignore the entire God/Evolution debate and go straight to the huge logical flaw he's missed. If there is a God and he gave Terrans their intelligence he obviously did the same for the Vasudans. In which case any discussion about their believability is moot since God could have made them look like whatever he wanted to.

Therefore Trashman's entire point must be that the Vasudans are 100% believable and always will be and he can cease any further discussion and leave the thread now. :p

Anyway getting back to the subject at hand I'd recommend reading something by Jack Cohen and Ian Stewart on the subject. I found them quite interesting.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 03:27:47 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
To be honest there were enough single celled based evolutions here on earth kicking off at the same time, and look how different we all turned out. (even after the dino killing disaster)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
It's not a evolutionist hijack. The entire bloody thread was about evolution. Trashman is the one who can't understand that fact. So it's a Trashman hijack.

Lets ignore the entire God/Evolution debate and go straight to the huge logical flaw he's missed. If there is a God and he gave Terrans their intelligence he obviously did the same for the Vasudans. In which case any discussion about their believability is moot since God could have made them look like whatever he wanted to.

Therefore Trashman's entire point must be that the Vasudans are 100% believable and always will be and he can cease any further discussion and leave the thread now. :p

Kaj, you are an extremly big arse.
No, seriously. Not a joke....
Whenever I don't agree with you (wehter 100% or jsut partially, or just don't belive that your explanation is the only one) you start some unholy crusade against me.

Now I don't know what issues you got but don't vent them out on me.

B.t.w. - the only logical hole is hte one in your hollow head.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Does God approve of your insults?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Evolution thread #2, the resurrection  :lol:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Here comes the Karajorma Fan Club... :shaking:

Incoming jump signature! It's LGM, Bob-San and DySko! TrashMan, withdraw! Withdraw!

Offline KappaWing

• Lost in the nebula
He has proven your point wrong in an attempt to get you to stop derailing the thread.

Its not working.

B.t.w. - the only logical hole is hte one in your hollow head.
:snipe:

Your God commands you to continue this over PM for your own dignity's sake.

Now, a new line of inquiry...
What other designs could develop besides the humanoid biped that would be equally effective? What other organic materials could they be made of?

If there arent any others, I guess the Vasudan design is actually somewhat probable, although they are still a bit too similar to humans.
"Your efforts to interdict me have failed, papacy. Pentagon, engage propaganda drive."
"Now, Protestant scum, you will see the power of this fully armed and operational Papal Station!"

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Wait a sec - you think I'm trying to pass of creationism?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Man, that's a good one.....

Well, it can't be the language barrier, since I speak english fluently...oh man...

Now this isn't (and it shouldn't be) a evolution debate, but jsut to clear thungs up:

He didn't prove me wrong. Where is that proof? There is no proof that intelligence is the result of evolution.
Millions of years on life on our planet - from the proto-dinasours till now, and we are the only one who posses that special something? Kinda hard to belive. While our physical apperance is most likey product of evolution, our intelligence is another matter.

THE END.

Offline KappaWing

• Lost in the nebula
Wait a sec - you think I'm trying to pass of creationism?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Man, that's a good one.....

Well, it can't be the language barrier, since I speak english fluently...oh man...

Now this isn't (and it shouldn't be) a evolution debate, but jsut to clear thungs up:

He didn't prove me wrong. Where is that proof? There is no proof that intelligence is the result of evolution.
Millions of years on life on our planet - from the proto-dinasours till now, and we are the only one who posses that special something? Kinda hard to belive. While our physical apperance is most likey product of evolution, our intelligence is another matter.

THE END.

JOIN THE F'ING MEETING HALL PLEASE

To attempt to bring the thread back on topic....I think that terran and vasudans, most likely being both carbon-based life forms may have evolved similarly. Maybe 2 million years or so ago vasudans looked exactly like terrans and are the next step in evolution (quite a conspiracy theory)....but seriously i think that since the vasudans evolved (relatively) "a couple houses down the road" from us (It's a big galaxy after all), they wouldn't be that much different.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
He didn't prove me wrong.

Actually I did.

Where is that proof? There is no proof that intelligence is the result of evolution.

THE END.

Once again you've missed the point Trashman and gone off on an emo rant about how I hate you and have a crusade against you. When the simple fact is that if you talk sense I'm more than happy to debate the matter at hand.

The point you've missed is that the entire God created intelligence/intelligence evolved debate is complete irrelevant to the discussion because.

1) This discussion assumes that intelligence is evolved
2) Even if it isn't then any alien lifeform is believable no matter how evolutionarily unlikely they are. Once you mix God into the equation they're all equally likely. Perfect replicas of humans who just talk English backwards are as believable as Vasudans if you're saying God created intelligence.

So basically your argument has pushed you down a logical cul-de-sac and your only option is to say that they're all believable since God created them and God by definition is all powerful and therefore can create any ****ing alien he wishes to no matter how unlikely they would be to evolve.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Do you have a personal vendetta gainst Trashy? >>;

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I once tried to write up a list for what an origanism would need to be before it could get to be technological. It was long. It's a very, very complex thing that's easily procluded.

I wish I could find that list. I never finished the thing, but it was pretty cool even so, I thought.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Do you have a personal vendetta gainst Trashy? >>;

No.

But I can start one if he really wants me to. :p

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Once again you've missed the point Trashman and gone off on an emo rant about how I hate you and have a crusade against you. When the simple fact is that if you talk sense I'm more than happy to debate the matter at hand.

The point you've missed is that the entire God created intelligence/intelligence evolved debate is complete irrelevant to the discussion because.

1) This discussion assumes that intelligence is evolved
2) Even if it isn't then any alien lifeform is believable no matter how evolutionarily unlikely they are. Once you mix God into the equation they're all equally likely. Perfect replicas of humans who just talk English backwards are as believable as Vasudans if you're saying God created intelligence.

So basically your argument has pushed you down a logical cul-de-sac and your only option is to say that they're all believable since God created them and God by definition is all powerful and therefore can create any ****ing alien he wishes to no matter how unlikely they would be to evolve.

Now you're making little sense. Just becosue God can do whatever he wants doesn't mean he will do it (or has done it). What use is extreeme intelligence to a species that can't make full use of it (example - snake?).
Also, God kinda doesn't like breaking the laws of the universe he set up...except in extreeme cases.

Your precious "argument" doesn't make any sense.. According to you, I should throw all science out of the window simply becosue I belive in God, and run around claming that everything is likely and elivable.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
I love it when people know what God means and doesn't mean to do.

And yes, you might as well.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I love it when people know what God means and doesn't mean to do.

Well given that (assuming he's a catholic) he's claimed on this thread to know Catholicism better than Pope John Paul II (Who claimed that the Vatican had no objection to the entirety of the theory of evolution including the descent of man) why not push it a little further and claim he understands what God would and wouldn't do.

Now you're making little sense. Just becosue God can do whatever he wants doesn't mean he will do it (or has done it). What use is extreeme intelligence to a species that can't make full use of it (example - snake?).

It's quite simple Trashman. The debate is whether the Vasudans are too humanlike to have evolved. If you're claiming that God messes in evolution the entire point is moot. No matter how similar the Vasudans are it doesn't matter cause God created them that way.

Also, God kinda doesn't like breaking the laws of the universe he set up...except in extreeme cases.

ROTFLMAO!

So God doesn't like to interfere with the laws of the universe yet you claim that the proof you have that he exists is the fact that he interfered with the laws of the universe to give humans intelligence? Even though there is an explaination that gives humans intelligence without God needing to interfere? :lol:

According to you, I should throw all science out of the window simply becosue I belive in God, and run around claming that everything is likely and elivable.

You already have thrown science out of the window by ascribing a supernatural explanation to something which science can already explain. All that remains to be seen is how committed you are to doing that! :p

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Well given that (assuming he's a catholic) he's claimed on this thread to know Catholicism better than Pope John Paul II (Who claimed that the Vatican had no objection to the entirety of the theory of evolution including the descent of man) why not push it a little further and claim he understands what God would and wouldn't do.

I make a conjection based on the teachings of the Churrch and God's past behaviour. You don't see him stepping in lately creating pillars of fire or mana from heavens, do you?

You also seem to forget that evolution is a THEROY that explains a humans biological descent. Wether intelligence is the product of evolution is not proven.....

So God doesn't like to interfere with the laws of the universe yet you claim that the proof you have that he exists is the fact that he interfered with the laws of the universe to give humans intelligence? Even though there is an explaination that gives humans intelligence without God needing to interfere? :lol:

Evidence? Who ever said anything about evidence? I said it's strange.. and it is.

You already have thrown science out of the window by ascribing a supernatural explanation to something which science can already explain. All that remains to be seen is how committed you are to doing that! :p

So according to you, if I do something once,  I should do it all the time, under all circumstances? Such primitive generalizations are below you...

Now plase, leave this be allready.
--------------------------------

ON TOPIC:

It is possible Terrans and Vasudans had the smae descendants, or even that Vasudan genetic material came from Earth 8on a metoer or something9.
IT's not liek things like that aren't uncommon in Sci-fi.