Poll

Is it believable that the Ts and Vs could develop so similarly despite both starting at single celled organisms?

Yes, Ja, Oui
35 (59.3%)
No, Nein, Non
24 (40.7%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: Terrans and Vasudans: Too similar?  (Read 30688 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: Terrans and Vasudans: Too similar?
LOCKLOCKLOCKLOCKLOCKLOCKLOCKLOCKALOCK

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
No, don't! Someone just make a thread in the Meeting Hall.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
I make a conjection based on the teachings of the Churrch and God's past behaviour. You don't see him stepping in lately creating pillars of fire or mana from heavens, do you?

Yes... indeed, as opposed to the last time you saw him creating pillars of fire from the heavens. Which obviously happened, just not lately.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Millions of years on life on our planet - from the proto-dinasours till now, and we are the only one who posses that special something? Kinda hard to belive.

Neanderthals?? And before you say something foolish like "Well, they aren't alive anymore." remember what natural selection is.

Also, how intelligent must a species be for you to acknowledge it?
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Here we go...talking about religion...the one thing that can easily start a global war but not stop one...nothing more than an opinion created by humans to try to counter the fear of their inevitable death...all it does is bring misery to the world. Drop it immediately... :doubt:

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
BUT MY GOD IS MY SAVIOR!!!!!!!

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Heresy. The Orici will not tolerate it!
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Hallowed is the Orici. Blessed are those who in unision with her.

Anyhoo, back on-topic...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 08:55:14 pm by Mefustae »

I totally agree with commander Zane on this one
Here we go...talking about religion...the one thing that can easily start a global war but not stop one...nothing more than an opinion created by humans to try to counter the fear of their inevitable death...all it does is bring misery to the world. Drop it immediately... :doubt:

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Hallowed is the Orici. Blessed are those who in unision with her.
You just had to bring Adria in on this one.
The Orici is yummy. :D

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Now plase, leave this be allready.

First up it is incredibly cowardly to make a point by point dissection of my reply and then try to claim I should leave it alone so as to prevent me replying.

If you want the subject to end I suggest you stop replying rather than trying to get the last word with underhanded techniques.

I make a conjection based on the teachings of the Churrch and God's past behaviour.

You made a connection which the pope himself has categorically claimed does not exist. That's fine. Faith is a personal matter and you're allowed to invent it any way you see fit but that still does mean that you are saying you have a better understanding of God with respect to the way mankind achieved sapience than the pope has. And for once it would be nice to hear you actually admit that you think you're right and the pope is wrong.

You also seem to forget that evolution is a THEROY that explains a humans biological descent. Wether intelligence is the product of evolution is not proven.....

Gravity is a THEORY.  :rolleyes:

In science theory is as good as it gets. There is nothing above theory. You need to understand that there is an enormous difference between the scientific meaning of the word theory and it's colloquial use. They do not mean the same thing.

Evidence? Who ever said anything about evidence? I said it's strange.. and it is.

Not really. For 5 billion years there was simply nothing else around to say "hey, isn't it strange that I'm the only thing that can think around here"

And as someone else has pointed out there were other animals around who could think. Like Neanderthals for instance.

So according to you, if I do something once,  I should do it all the time, under all circumstances? Such primitive generalizations are below you...

Why are you making one here then? Who said anything about all circumstances? Who said anything about doing it all the time?

You've continually failed to see my point. My point is that it is the height of stupidity ascribe something to the divine intervention of a superior being who you yourself will (hopefully) admit has motives you can't understand and then claim that you understand why or why not he would do something.

Dragging things back to the topic at hand. The Vasudans (for the purposes of this dicussion) exist. They look humanoid. You've claimed God exists and must do for intelligence to exist. How can the Vasudans ever not be believable? At what point would you look at the similarity between the Vasudans and humanity and go "There's no way God could have done that?"

Cause to me that seems like you're actually putting a limit on God's powers.

Your only possible answer is that the Vasudans are believable. Quite why you feel the need to debate the matter is beyond me.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
First up it is incredibly cowardly to make a point by point dissection of my reply and then try to claim I should leave it alone so as to prevent me replying.

If you want the subject to end I suggest you stop replying rather than trying to get the last word with underhanded techniques.

now who's trying to have the last word?

You made a connection which the pope himself has categorically claimed does not exist. That's fine. Faith is a personal matter and you're allowed to invent it any way you see fit but that still does mean that you are saying you have a better understanding of God with respect to the way mankind achieved sapience than the pope has. And for once it would be nice to hear you actually admit that you think you're right and the pope is wrong.

No. Once again, your'e misinterpreting everything I say....and I'm not surprised.
And not only are you putting words in my mouth, now you're putting them in the popes' mouth too... way to go  :doubt:

Not really. For 5 billion years there was simply nothing else around to say "hey, isn't it strange that I'm the only thing that can think around here"
And as someone else has pointed out there were other animals around who could think. Like Neanderthals for instance.

Which were also humanoid. And again, a single species (or two) in such a long timespan is nothing compared to other traits that appeared again and again, multiple times.

You've continually failed to see my point. My point is that it is the height of stupidity ascribe something to the divine intervention of a superior being who you yourself will (hopefully) admit has motives you can't understand and then claim that you understand why or why not he would do something.

Height of stupidity? Good work..you now insulted every person who belives in any diety or afterlife. Ya...we can't prove it so it MUST be the height of stupidity to belive...
The thing is that inteligence is NOT PROVEN to be the result of evolution. So when I belive something that is not proven, I'm stupid. When you belive it, you're a genius? LOL..

Oh...and the reson I debate this with you is becosue you go on my nerves by continually twisting my words and arguments. I've seen more then enough of your underhand tactics in debates to know this.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I seriously think this has gotten out of hand.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
God has abandoned this thread.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Exorcism needed! :shaking:

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
now who's trying to have the last word?

I never said I wasn't. :p

I'm more than happy to carry on debating the matter. You're the one who answered all my points and they tried to deny me the right of reply by saying I shouldn't answer.

No. Once again, your'e misinterpreting everything I say....and I'm not surprised.
And not only are you putting words in my mouth, now you're putting them in the popes' mouth too... way to go  :doubt:

It is a fact that the pope has claimed that Darwin's Origins of the Species was a great work and that the Vatican has no issue whatsoever with the theory of evolution. So how am  putting words in the pope's mouth by pointing out that the pope has said that when I can provide proof he said that.

How am I misrepresenting you? How am I misinterpreting you?

You simply don't understand my point and instead of asking for clarification you just went off on a rant about how I had a vendetta against you.

Which were also humanoid. And again, a single species (or two) in such a long timespan is nothing compared to other traits that appeared again and again, multiple times.

I've never said that Intelligence was common. It might be that life is common on other planets and intelligence requires a certain uncommon set of selection pressures.

Height of stupidity? Good work..you now insulted every person who belives in any diety or afterlife. Ya...we can't prove it so it MUST be the height of stupidity to belive...

Trashman. If you don't understand what I'm saying you really need to ask for clarification. I didn't say it was the height of stupidity to believe in God. I said it was the height of stupidity to claim you understand God.

If you check with the same people you claimed I insulted I'll bet you'll find that most of them agree with me on that fact. No human could ever understand an omnipotent being. It is sheer arrogance to say that you do.

So once again you have failed to understand me and have gone off on a rant about the point you mistakenly thought I was making. :lol:

Oh...and the reson I debate this with you is becosue you go on my nerves by continually twisting my words and arguments. I've seen more then enough of your underhand tactics in debates to know this.

I think this last post pretty much proves that you simply don't understand what I'm saying and are just set off by trigger words instead.

Offline KappaWing

• Lost in the nebula
ON TOPIC:

It is possible Terrans and Vasudans had the smae descendants, or even that Vasudan genetic material came from Earth 8on a metoer or something9.
IT's not liek things like that aren't uncommon in Sci-fi.

Same ancestors you mean? How? The sytems are millions of light years apart.

And the "genetic material argument" doesent really make much sense since humans have been around for only a few million years. Not enough time for a meteor to travel, with material intact, thousands of light years away and the lottery chance of it landing on a habitable planet. How would humanoid genetic material get on the meteor in the first place?

If you mean an asteroid coming from Vasuda prime and hitting the Earth, the argument makes a bit more sense. You still have the astronomically low chance of the asteroid landing on a life-friendly planet, the extreme time difference for the asteroid to travel, the genetic material surviving intact on the asteroid ride, and how the genetic material gets on the asteroid in the first place.

I think the bottom line is that the Terrans and Vasudans could never have exchaged genetic material at any point in time, and that they evolved completley seperatley from single celled organisms. We're trying to gague the probability of them evolving into the extremley similar humanoid life forms.

Trash, quit trying to get the last word. Go start a thread in the meeting hall and continue the epic battle with Kara there. Snail and others, please stop egging them on.
"Your efforts to interdict me have failed, papacy. Pentagon, engage propaganda drive."
"Now, Protestant scum, you will see the power of this fully armed and operational Papal Station!"

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I think the bottom line is that the Terrans and Vasudans could never have exchaged genetic material at any point in time

Maybe we should question Japong as to the validity of that comment. :p

Actually on second thoughts no we shouldn't. Definitely shouldn't.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Are you implying that....

NO. JUST NO!

Offline Vretsu

God has abandoned this thread.

:lol:

Right, KappaWing, it should be illegial to color your text like that. I would quote your specific, offending post, but that would only bring further pain and suffering to others.

Also, since I have nothing useful to contribute to the discussion, I would like you all to direct your attention to the pixels not in the immediate vicinity of this post. Your cooperation is appreciated.  :nervous: