Poll

What do you think about the old Velocity MOD and Joshua's new tables?

I want them to go on with their development because I'm interested on new stuff.
7 (20%)
I like them, and I want upcoming campaigns to be adapted to the use of these new tables. They rock!
5 (14.3%)
I like them, but I want upcoming campaigns to be free from modified speed values and glide options.
7 (20%)
I don't like them, they are nothing special. Nothing will change with them.
0 (0%)
I don't like them and I don't want upcoming campaigns to be adapted to their use!
0 (0%)
I hate them, they kill original FS2 Physics. Delete these MODs at once!
0 (0%)
I don't really care.
16 (45.7%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: May 20, 2007, 09:30:14 am

Author Topic: "De Modificationibus FreeSpacis"  (Read 7681 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
"De Modificationibus FreeSpacis"
Simple question.

What do you think about the MODs BtRL is helping to bring to the light of the sun? I have tried some FS2 missions and I loved them.

Would you like them to be used in upcoming campaigns and/ or other MODs? Do you think they might kill FS2 Physics if their use will be extensive? Motivate your opinions. I've actually planned a radical change in Steadfast tables so that new features can be added. DySkO doesn't agree with me because he's sure of the fact that other members will hate modified tables "a la Velocity MOD".

Keep in mind this thread isn't meant to be a discussion about the MOD itself, but what it could represent for the FS community.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: "De Modificationibus FreeSpacis"
I voted 'I don't really care,' because... Well... I don't really care.

i think they work well, but for me and my mousestick they make every mission impossible.
for steadfast and other FS2 sequels, they probably would represent an excessive change impossible to justify (too little time has passed to change all fighter's mechanics). however, speed and manouverability improvements would be justified and well accepted as long as the game remains balanced.
BtRL glide is, in my opinion, too much.
remember also that in cutescenes those changes would have a huge impact, probably resulting in the cutsecne to have to be re-fredded.
Steadfast  Project Member

INFERNO: ALLIANCE

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
I LIKE GO FAST!
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
LGM, man, what's up with you and your freaky Latin names? :wtf:

Offline Dysko

That's what I told him :p Latin is useful only for talking with the Pope (so it must be removed from my school subjects. NOW!)

Returning on-topic, there are 2 reasons for me not wanting modified physics in Steadfast:
1) It's set in the FS universe, and modified physics would ruin its FreeSpaceiness.
2) We're far behind schedule. Instead of rebalancing all the tables, we need just to finish the missions and release it. Period. It's useless to add continuously new features, if the campaign will never be released...
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
Ships aren't monuverable enough...
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
i think they work well, but for me and my mousestick they make every mission impossible.
for steadfast and other FS2 sequels, they probably would represent an excessive change impossible to justify (too little time has passed to change all fighter's mechanics). however, speed and manouverability improvements would be justified and well accepted as long as the game remains balanced.
BtRL glide is, in my opinion, too much.
remember also that in cutescenes those changes would have a huge impact, probably resulting in the cutsecne to have to be re-fredded.

I use the mousestick as well, and I found the game still playable. About the impact on cutscenes...I think you're right, something should be changed. Remember, however, that we can use set-time-compression in order to make the fighters go slower(it's realistic in land and take off cutscenes).

About the reasons which could justify the use of enhanced speed values, we simply don't need them. We'll consider them as something normal(keep in mind, however, that 30 years could somewhat justify a partial engine upgrade).

That's what I told him :p Latin is useful only for talking with the Pope (so it must be removed from my school subjects. NOW!)

Returning on-topic, there are 2 reasons for me not wanting modified physics in Steadfast:
1) It's set in the FS universe, and modified physics would ruin its FreeSpaceiness.
2) We're far behind schedule. Instead of rebalancing all the tables, we need just to finish the missions and release it. Period. It's useless to add continuously new features, if the campaign will never be released...

Latin is useful :P

1) But the campaign will be better to play. I love FS Physics and I don't think this MOD will kill them...we're just increasing speed values in order to make everything better. Remember that aces in Steadfast will work better with better physics;
2) I told you, I prefer something well done rather than something released ASAP. If we can make the campaign better, we'll make it better;
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

I use the mousestick as well, and I found the game still playable.

but i'm a noob... :D

About the impact on cutscenes...I think you're right, something should be changed. Remember, however, that we can use set-time-compression in order to make the fighters go slower(it's realistic in land and take off cutscenes).

it depends on how you make the cutscene. the one i'm making for example is based on the time a fighter takes between waypoints. to make it faster would mean to change all the messages and some events

:nod: we'll make a better campaign, if you complete the missions you have and then we work ALL 3 TOGETHER + testers on the "improvements" phase.
of course, forget a precise release date; we don't know when we will finish; probably after the 21st August :lol:
Steadfast  Project Member

INFERNO: ALLIANCE

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Hmm.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
That was seriously one of the most useless posts I've seen.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Two useless posts.

Anyways, I should have removed the "I don't care" option. There are concrete changes, "I don't care" is not an option.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yeah it is.

It's not for anyone in the community to decide what can or can't be developed :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I know, bu DySkO doesn't want them in Steadfast because he thinks the others will hate them. That's the point...

For the ones who voted against the MOD...have you tried to play some missions with Joshua's tables?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
I love that kind of stuff, and I don't care if it kills the freespace physics or whatever, since they suck anyway (lol, FS2 physics? :lol: ).
SCREW CANON!

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I love that kind of stuff, and I don't care if it kills the freespace physics or whatever, since they suck anyway (lol, FS2 physics? :lol: ).

:lol:

Uhm...I should have removed that "I don't really care" option. I assume they support us, the "We Want New Gaming Experiences Dudes".
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I honestly wasn't a massive fan of the BtRL demo's physics myself, even though I realize they were a superb re-creation of the combat scenes from the series.  I've always preferred the Serious Sam style of gameplay: get something in your sights and hold down the trigger until it stops moving. :p BtRL demanded the opposite; it's the precise aerial ballet of IL-2 versus the run-'n'-gun missile-chucking style of Ace Combat.  Regardless of my own preferences, I'm certainly curious to see just what can be done with this engine in terms of varying flight styles.  The way I see it, if I try it and don't like it, I just won't play it.  Demanding that people not create modifications like this is rather absurd.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Two useless posts.

Anyways, I should have removed the "I don't care" option. There are concrete changes, "I don't care" is not an option.

Two and a half!!  (Well, three now, but...

Actually, that's just my way of bookmarking a thread when I don't have time to think of something to say, but I really want to get back and read the rest of the thread.  There's no "Mark as Replied To" button on HLP (or anywhere else that I know of).

I honestly wasn't a massive fan of the BtRL demo's physics myself, even though I realize they were a superb re-creation of the combat scenes from the series.  I've always preferred the Serious Sam style of gameplay: get something in your sights and hold down the trigger until it stops moving. :p BtRL demanded the opposite; it's the precise aerial ballet of IL-2 versus the run-'n'-gun missile-chucking style of Ace Combat.  Regardless of my own preferences, I'm certainly curious to see just what can be done with this engine in terms of varying flight styles.  The way I see it, if I try it and don't like it, I just won't play it.  Demanding that people not create modifications like this is rather absurd.

If I understand correctly, this is just a mod that you select in the Launcher, right?  When it's not selected, everything goes back to default?  What's the big upset about?  It's a MODification... d'uh.  ;)

EDIT: Where's the option for voting to have this MOD be optional for every MOD to implement or not?  For the main campaign, I would love to be able to have it as something you could optionally turn on/off.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable

Takes to long to make a kill...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hmm, i think once you master using the slide controls in conjunction with your normal ones, this becomes less of a problem...